Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Skipping housekeeping for 2000 points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping housekeeping for 2000 points?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/Prem Exec, HH/Gold, TW/Gold
Originally Posted by jmhayes
I would get 2000 points.
Well, I came back tonight and although the bed wasn't made, the towels I left on the floor were picked up and the lights were on. I guess maybe this was turndown ... I hope I still get the points
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
I would love this program to be standard.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by davef139
2000 seems like lots, on a $100/night stay you aren't earning that many points
Yeah 2000 seems like a lot. I think 500 for an HI, 1000 (or $10 food vouchers)for WA or full service hilton or conrad and 750 for other brands a night would be fair.

The LV Hilton gives you a $10 a night and last weekend for a three night stay I paid $155 tax included. In all honesty I would be fine with just a $5 voucher there since the rates are so cheap but wouldn't go for any lower.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Yeah 2000 seems like a lot. I think 500 for an HI, 1000 (or $10 food vouchers)for WA or full service hilton or conrad and 750 for other brands a night would be fair.

The LV Hilton gives you a $10 a night and last weekend for a three night stay I paid $155 tax included. In all honesty I would be fine with just a $5 voucher there since the rates are so cheap but wouldn't go for any lower.
Seems to me like the number of points ought be be on par with the diamond or gold stay bonus points. But then again I doubt that Hilton pays its housekeeping staff more than a Hampton does.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I encountered this with a Sheraton in Vancouver, BC in 2010.

It was a certain point amount for each day you declined. I can't recall what the amount was (I want to say 500 but it may have been less, had no status and SPG activity isn't showing my history that far back). For a 4 night stay we declined cleaning until after the 2nd night for the points and then declined for the 3rd night for a few more. You obviously can't decline cleaning after your final night.

Would be great if every hotel in every chain did something similar.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:07 pm

I've never received points, but I generally only want service every 2 or 3 days. I have the 'do not disturb' on my door the other days.

I completely recognize that the 'green' label is cost-saving marketing. It saves huge amounts of money by not washing linen and towels every day.

Mrs. PITUK prefers daily service, because it is a treat when we stay in hotels for pleasure, especially on multi-day stays.

I think that points are a fair deal for not having the room serviced and would take it every other day or so.

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by javacodeguy
Either way, one thing I like when I stay at a hotel is having the room clean and reorganized every day. For a two night stay, I might be tempted to take it at 2000 points; 500 no way. But for any longer stay they'd really need to offer me a lot.
Concur on all counts. One of the nice experiences of staying in a hotel is coming back to have the room re-born
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Concur on all counts. One of the nice experiences of staying in a hotel is coming back to have the room re-born
I think that his is exactly why the progr would work. Only a small subset of guests will opt for the points. Usually mine is only one of two or three rooms on the floor with the note from housekeeping saying that my room wasn't serviced because of the do not disturb tag. With a points for no housekeeping scheme the numbers probably won't triple. So it's not going to be a losing proposition for the hotel.

People like you will make it work for me. As an added benefit to everyone more time might be spent cleaning each room. That's a win for everyone.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Originally Posted by ACEDAD
I would love this program to be standard.
Likewise I'd quite regularly skip it for that amount (well to be fair even a fraction of that). As others have said, a lot of the Hiltons I stay at such as Warwick/ Stratford I barely earn that a night total lol
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
A little off-topic...but it seems to me that the housekeepers come in even if the "Do Not Disturb" sign is on the door. While I appreciate the bed being made, I abhor when towels, soaps, and shampoo are changed out. Just about every hotel I stay in (not just Hilton) have signs posted with instructions. No matter what, my towels are always "refreshed", old soap/shampoo removed and replaced, and sheets changed.

Give me a break!!! At home, I replaced my towels every about 4 days (8 uses), soap only when it's done, and change the sheets once a week. I hate when the hotel thinks it's a "service" to replace every day.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:39 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
...No matter what, my towels are always "refreshed", old soap/shampoo removed and replaced, and sheets changed.
And this is exactly what I love about staying at hotels

Different strokes, no?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Keep your filthy hands off my Dopp kit!" Maybe I'll get a few cards printed up...

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
I would absolutely LOVE this program. I hate it when housekeeping comes in and rearranges things on me, touches my dop kit, and uses potentially dirty rags on the surfaces that I have disinfected.

I've never run into that program but you can bet I'd take the 2000 points. Afterall, I'm doing just that for no points right now.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
I would totally do this for any amount of points, because I do it anyway. Only have someone come in around day 3 or 4 for me. Just ask for towels each day if I need them.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
I have seen this in different forms across various Hilton and Starwood properties. Some offer a straight 500 points per night you decline house keeping and some offer a $5 card that you can use at various hotel cafes, restaurants or you can convert them in to 500 points if you like it at the end of your stay.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ikonos
I have seen this in different forms across various Hilton and Starwood properties. Some offer a straight 500 points per night you decline house keeping and some offer a $5 card that you can use at various hotel cafes, restaurants or you can convert them in to 500 points if you like it at the end of your stay.
500 Starwood points are worth way more than 500 Hilton points.

In fact, I'd say 500 Starwood points are closer in value to 2000 Hilton points than to 500 Hilton points!

(Starwood poitns are "calibrated" completely differently than any other hotel program. That's why, among other things, they can do airline transfers 1:1, whereas all other hotel programs do at best 2.5:1 and usually 4:1 or even worse.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.