Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Kentucky, USA {US-KY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Kentucky, USA {US-KY}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Kentucky, USA {US-KY}

Looking to stay at either Hilton Suites or Embassy Suites in Lexington, KY. A search didn't turn up anything. Which one is better? I am diamond. Thanks a lot.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 6:54 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The Hilton Suites is nothing special - just a typical ordinary Hilton Suites. You will not be unhappy there either, as it is clean. I had no memorable bad or good experience there.

I have never been at the Embassy Suites in Lexington, but if it is like other Embassy Suites, I will venture a guess that it will probably be slightly better than the Hilton Suites.

Personally, I would base my decision on the rate in this case.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 3:56 pm

I'd stay at the Hilton Suites - it's in a much better location all else being equal.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 4:29 pm

I used to live in Lexington, and would choose Hilton Suites for the location--lots of restaurants & shopping right there. The downside is crazy traffic on Nicholasville Rd at rush hour, but the turnoff is just off New Circle Road, so it shouldn't be too bad.

If you get a chance, eat at Joe Bologna's near downtown--they're in the phone book. Best pizza & breadsticks in the state!

JP
Old Mar 1, 2003, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM/MM - Bad upgrade luck. "...Diamond in the back... Diggin the scene with a gangsta lean..."
As a Lexington resident, I would recommend the Embassy or the Hilton Garden. I'm looking at it from a business traveller perspective, but either one is likely to be closer to the Interstate and downtown without the traffic snarls of South Lexington (which really aren't that bad, but they are at their worst right next to the Hilton Suites.)
Old Mar 1, 2003, 11:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Starwood Gold Radisson Elite
I have stayed at the Hilton Suites and Hilton Garden Inn plus many non Hilton brands in Lexington.

My preference is for the Hilton Suites. The Embassy Suites is located on Newton Pike and I-75 on the old UK College of Agriculture Research Farm that is now a Research Park. I Haven't stayed at the Embassy Suites as there is not much to do around it except go eat at the Cracker Barrell.

The Hilton Garden Inn is nice and is right beside plenty of restaurants on the south side of Lexington and I-75.

The Hilton Suites is where the UK football team stays on the Friday night before the game and we have stayed there using the Diamond Guarantee to mingle with the players. It adjoins the Lexington Green shopping center which has a Tony Roma's (awesome ribs that melt in your mouth), CompUsa, nice large bookstore and other restaurants. The rooms and layout look just like an Embassy Suites although no manager reception.

I just wish there was a downtown property that you could walk to Rupp Arena and the football shuttle. We ahve stayed at the Radisson and Hyatt downtown for these reasons and would choose the Radisson if you have to be downtown.
Old Mar 1, 2003, 4:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SuperCat:
The Hilton Suites is where the UK football team stays on the Friday night before the game...</font>
Huh?

Do you mean the visiting team, or does UK actually pay to put their own guys up there?

JP
(rabid cat fan)

Old Mar 1, 2003, 8:26 pm

Location: Flooded out of Metairie, LA--moved to Baton Rouge! AA EXP/2MM; AirTran Elite; DL Nobody; Marriott Uber Plat; *Wood Gold; Maker's Mark Ambassador
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by j379pa:
Huh?

Do you mean the visiting team, or does UK actually pay to put their own guys up there?

JP
(rabid cat fan)
</font>
I think he meant the UK football team. LSU does the same thing, the team stays at a local hotel (as if I will tell a UK fan which hotel it is!). One benefit is all of the players are already onsite for the team meetings and the pregame meal on Saturday.

------------------
MetairieTraveler

If I have to fly, then give me a Maker's Mark and water.
Old May 11, 2003, 10:19 am
kam

Kentucky

Planning a few July vacation days in Louisville/Lexington and not familiar with the area. I see the Seelbach Hilton Louisville and a couple Hilton Garden Inns plus Hamptons. Should I use up points at the Seelbach and pay at the others to earn points? I enjoy a few luxury days, is the Seelback nice? Any advice will be appreciated.
Old May 11, 2003, 12:32 pm

I don't know the Seelbach, but I know Kentucky. I'd advise skipping Louisville & spending your time in Lexington--a prettier city, and many more interesting things to do.

JP
Old May 11, 2003, 5:36 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kam:
Planning a few July vacation days in Louisville/Lexington and not familiar with the area. I see the Seelbach Hilton Louisville and a couple Hilton Garden Inns plus Hamptons. Should I use up points at the Seelbach and pay at the others to earn points? I enjoy a few luxury days, is the Seelback nice? Any advice will be appreciated.</font>
The Seelbach is a beautiful historic restored hotel. It has a terrific 5-star restaurant, The Oak Room and a great top-50 hotel bar. (Billy Joel played in the bar for over 3 hrs. during his recent visit) Depending on what you are looking for I would recommend staying there for the "experience". Downtown Louisville has the H&B Bat Museum, home of the Louisville Slugger, Glassworks, a working art gallery-museum, Science museum w/IMAX theater, Center for the Arts where there is usually something playing. You can also visit the KY Derby museum at Churchill Downs, the Speed art museum, the Louisville Zoo, the Rausch Planetarium, and other fun things.

There are other options for HH hotels: a new ES on N. Hurstbourne Ln, HI by airport, and HGI at Blankenbaker Ln. All of these are in the burbs.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Old May 11, 2003, 9:19 pm

The Seelbach is WONDERFUL. The travel channel was showing some stuff on there recently (due to the KY Derby) about the hotel. Used to be frequented by Al Capone when he'd come into town to check on his "business partners" during prohibition. A ghost, too!

There was a lady that i worked with recently that used to get emails from them with really good rates ($69 night!) but they were mostly mid-week i think. Weren't always available, but we gave them a lot of business

Old May 12, 2003, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been almost two years since I've been there, but:
http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/001085.html

Old May 24, 2003, 7:52 pm
kam

Kentucky again

Thanks to the tips from my previous post with questions on Kentucky. I finally have my plans and appreciate any comments. Our first night will be at the Hampton Inn Lexington I-75(point-stretcher). The next two nights will be at the Hampton Inn Elizabethtown. Our trip winds down with two night a at the Seelbach Hilton Louisville. I will be taking advantage of booking under the old point system. We are interested in seeing a ditillery, Mammoth Cave and Churchill Downs.
Old May 24, 2003, 8:03 pm
kam

Hampton

I just looked at the spreadsheet rating all the Hamptons and see that Elizabethtown, Ky is BAD. If the person rating it is reading let me know what is bad about the place. Maybe I can address the issue before I go or change my plans. I do want to add Hampton Dublin, OH was excellent. Also, last month stayed at the Hampton Ft. Myers Airport and it was good. Thanks to all fo you for your help when I need it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.