Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Just seeking opinion on making Diamond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond

Hi everyone - I searched the threads (although I must admit, "scanned threads while watching the SEC Championship" is actually a better term) for something like my question, and must have missed it.

I am 3 stays shy of Diamond (yes, working on stays here, not nights or base points). I will most likely get 1 more night from work (maybeeee 2).

Now the Hilton down the street from me is available for $65 a night in mid December. I'd say making diamond is worth $65-$140 (based on 1 or 2 nights)...but is it really? When I do the math, I generally get 40,000 base points a year..which means I get an additional 10,000 points being Diamond over Gold. That is not even a half a room night for $100. Am I missing something in my calculations??

I rarely get upgrades cause me and Hampton Inn are best buddies. And I don't eat cookies. But I get free Wi-Fi either way.

Any opinions out there?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by IamDLfuelhedge
Hi everyone - I searched the threads (although I must admit, "scanned threads while watching the SEC Championship" is actually a better term) for something like my question, and must have missed it.

I am 3 stays shy of Diamond (yes, working on stays here, not nights or base points). I will most likely get 1 more night from work (maybeeee 2).

Now the Hilton down the street from me is available for $65 a night in mid December. I'd say making diamond is worth $65-$140 (based on 1 or 2 nights)...but is it really? When I do the math, I generally get 40,000 base points a year..which means I get an additional 10,000 points being Diamond over Gold. That is not even a half a room night for $100. Am I missing something in my calculations??

I rarely get upgrades cause me and Hampton Inn are best buddies. And I don't eat cookies. But I get free Wi-Fi either way.

Any opinions out there?
Just go for it - $140 for a diamond is a bargain. People here are talking about if a $500 MR is justified for diamond.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It depends on what you get back from it.

If you don't stay at hotels where upgrades matter, if you don't think you will need the force, no it's not worth it.

But even one vacation stay where you open the door to your room to a marble floored entry way into lovely suite makes it totally worth the stay or two you would need.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
I will do it again this year...

This year, I am on shy 1 night. Last year, I was a few nights short. I just find a cheap local hotel and check in and leave.

But if you don't use your points or vacation in other countries, and stay only at Hampton Inns....I'd spend the money elsewhere.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:21 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Absolutely worth it.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:09 pm

If you don't travel internationally and nearly all your stays are at Hampton Inns, I'd say save yourself the $.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by starflyer
If you don't travel internationally and nearly all your stays are at Hampton Inns, I'd say save yourself the $.
+1
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I stayed in a HI last week and got a great upgrade to a two room suite. I get upgrades about half the time. Of course, you might get that as Gold.

For me, Diamond Desk is worth quite a bit, probably $100 a year, maybe more.

And, there are the extra points.

Bottom line, I would check in a couple of cheap nights to maintain Diamond.

Of course, when I check in and they see this (six more nights and four stays to go):

Stays Completed: 56
Nights Completed: 138
Base Points: 140,662

That may get me more recognition than barely Diamond.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I would say it would be worth it. Especially if those 1 to 2 stays will result in you getting another qf3n certificate
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Not worth it, but you should do it anyway since you're so close. It might come in handy.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
$65 for Diamond isn't bad, though I do feel like Diamond isn't that special anymore.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 2:02 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Go for it! Already loving DIA in the few stays I've had it so far!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dmd
After about 4-5 years as gold I made diamond last year. I do mostly HGIs. It seems to me that diamond is worth the MR. I have had to use the force twice this year. In my gold years I would have just moved to a different property but it was very nice to get into my preferred property. As gold I never received one upgrade at an HGI property I hit about once a month. I hit diamond and get a suite about 50% of the time. Even my recent award stays at an ES received the upgraded corner suite. It just seems to me that as gold I was appreciated, but as diamond it feels somewhat more so. IMHO.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, National Executive, UA
Originally Posted by IamDLfuelhedge
When I do the math, I generally get 40,000 base points a year..which means I get an additional 10,000 points being Diamond over Gold. That is not even a half a room night for $100. Am I missing something in my calculations??
Isn't Diamond 50% increase in points? Your base should be 20k in addition not 10k.

I'm actually in the same boat that you are. I qualed on stays, (every single one at HI). I will say that my wife really enjoys the treatment we get when I use the points to take trips (luckily they don't know that I spent 28 nights at 28 different HIs I even got a double upgrade at the Millennium in NYC. A little *wink and a "so sorry sir, the room you requested isn't ready, let me see what else I can find."
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by theTheme
Isn't Diamond 50% increase in points? Your base should be 20k in addition not 10k.
Yes, but I am already getting 25% from Gold. I was talking about incremental points of being a diamond over gold. Sorry if that was confusing.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would say it would be worth it. Especially if those 1 to 2 stays will result in you getting another qf3n certificate
What is a qf3n certificate?

And thanks for all the feedback -- I forgot about the force, although I doubt I will need it. And I am planning on staying in a Hilton for a couple of weeks next summer in Honolulu with my family (not on points either - on my employer) and if I get that single upgrade, it would be well worth the money spent on the MR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.