Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring {US-MD}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring {US-MD}

Old Oct 13, 05, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Uniter
I stayed there last night and had a rather good stay.

I checked in and asked for an upgrade. I was told they did have a suite, but it was double beds only. I like a suite, so I took it. The suite was small, but two rooms and fit my needs. As others have mentioned, the bathrooms looked a bit rundown, but the sheets, towels, linens were all nice and soft and comfortable.

I received two passed for complementary FULL breakfast. This isn't much, but the continental alone would be really crappy. I'll save the other pass for another time, I guess. There was no executive lounge or executive floor.

The neighborhood is really fun ... lots of stuff open late and lots of good restaurants within 2 blocks (Austin Grill, Ceviche, Starbucks, Cold Stone Creamery, Phillips Seafood, Baja Fresh, Panera, and lots more). Plus, two movie theatres (one artsy, one not), a Borders bookstore, and other shopping. It's about 4-5 blocks to the Metro, but not a bad walk.

Anyway, a decent stay and the cost is usually much less than DC hotels.
I agree -- I've stayed there a few times, and have always been assigned a junior suite. No executive lounge still, so you would receive coupons for breakfast downstairs.

The only thing that was annoying is that parking as far as I can tell is mandatory valet -- and often times in the morning, they can be quite swamped/understaffed with getting the cars out on time.

Other than that though, I thought it was a good hotel that takes care of HHonors elites.
Old Oct 13, 05, 12:03 pm

Programs: aa gold, usair silver, hilton gold
Used to be a Holiday Inn.
Old Oct 13, 05, 4:46 pm

Sure was a nice Cat 1 while it lasted!

I stayed there during a temporary point bargain a few years ago. Was ugraded to the suite with full free breakfast daily - loved that Crab Benedict. I was a happy camper.
Old Oct 16, 05, 7:27 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyerer
I stayed there during a temporary point bargain a few years ago. Was ugraded to the suite with full free breakfast daily - loved that Crab Benedict. I was a happy camper.
No crab benedict anymore. Breakfast was fairly lousy, actually. Some eggs, french toast, oatmeal, and sausage ... that's about all the hot food on the buffet. The continental was even worse -- some fruit and some muffins.
Old Oct 16, 05, 8:25 am

It was a Sheraton years ago
Old Feb 11, 06, 7:19 pm

Just an update ... I stayed here again this week. They still give out the FULL breakfast coupons, which is nice. And there's a Manager's Reception on Wednesday nights only. No lounge or executive floor, but I almost always get an upgrade to a corner room or a suite.

The work out room is big as in the indoor pool (both on the 9th floor). As posted before, the neighborhood is really cool and the Metro is a 5 minute walk. My meetings in DC were near the Capitol, so it was ideal for the Union Station Metro (about a 10 minute ride from Silver Spring on the Red Line).

Overall, I'd stay there again ... but I must say, they really need a lounge, or perhaps a Manager's Reception for Diamonds/Golds only every week night.
Old Feb 12, 06, 5:31 am

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI) [1991 - 2010]; LAS
Programs: Lifetime: UA United Club, AA Admirals Club & Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Perhaps someone who cares enough might want to PM a helpful moderator to correct the spelling of the thread topic title.
Old Feb 12, 06, 12:17 pm

Well, luckily, it's spelled right in some posts (ie, "Silver Spring"), so it DOES come up on searches. Not really a big deal.
Old May 10, 06, 9:47 pm

Update: I'm staying here again tonight. The Manager's Reception was very nice (it's on Wed only). The manager is actually there and goes around talking to everyone trying to get feedback. There's beer, wine and soda for the taking and some appetizers (cheese tray, crackers, fruit, veg egg rolls, spring rolls, and mini chicken cordon bleu).

I got an upgrade, but it was very strange. First, I registered a few days ago that I was willing to sacrifice my HHonors benefits for 1,000 bonus points. I did on-line checkin this morning and found a lot of King rooms. I checked again later that afternoon and saw that the King rooms were gone and a King Suite with Parlor was my only option. It read someone like, "We could not upgrade you, so we have chosen this room instead." I clicked it and checked in online.

When I got to the hotel later, I still had to give my credit card for some reason, but they checked me in to my room ... what an upgrade! I had THREE rooms - a bedroom (King bed with a TV), a Parlor (living room w/foldout couch, desk, and chairs, and another TV), and a conference room (big conference table and chairs with a marker board). Plus, two bathrooms. And I'm all by myself here!

Oh, this Hilton now has free Internet access (not wireless, though).

The service here has really improved... and so has the area around the hotel. This place is usually 1/2 the price of DC hotels and it's a quick ride into town on the Red Line. Definitely recommended.
Old May 10, 06, 11:41 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Do you know if the treatment is the same for HHonors Golds? I will be staying there on Monday and Wednesday (Manager's Reception wohoo! :-) nights of next week.
Old May 11, 06, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by sdcarver
Do you know if the treatment is the same for HHonors Golds? I will be staying there on Monday and Wednesday (Manager's Reception wohoo! :-) nights of next week.
I've stayed here as a Gold and gotten the same treatment (though not in a suite as large as this). Sometimes, you only get the continental breakfast, though. Also, when you check-in, be sure to inquire about an upgrade... I found the front desk needs to be reminded sometimes.
Old May 17, 06, 6:25 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Uniter
I've stayed here as a Gold and gotten the same treatment (though not in a suite as large as this). Sometimes, you only get the continental breakfast, though. Also, when you check-in, be sure to inquire about an upgrade... I found the front desk needs to be reminded sometimes.
I am here at the Silver Springs Hilton now. I too was offered a Parlor Suite as part of online checkin(Mine is two bedrooms- King Bed Room and Parlor/Living Room--very nice. It is Wed and I was able to check out the Manager's Reception which was nice just as Uniter described earlier.

I would definitely come back here.

Thanks,
sdcarver
Old Mar 28, 07, 9:53 am

Just an update ... stayed here for 1 night last night. Had a chance for an upgrade on OLCI, but didn't take it. Checking in, the upgrades were all gone - do check in on-line if you can!

I received a coupon for full breakfast, though. You can use it for the buffet or any menu item up to $10 (which is 90% of the items on the menu). Try and smoked salmon breakfast quesadillas.

I also received a gift basket in my room, though. Ghirardelli chocolates, Famous Amos cookies, trail mix, and a big bottle of water. It was a nice touch.

Oh, and it looks like they put in some new equipment in the workout room. Though I'm still perplexed as to why the pool is closed in the AM on weekdays.

Overall, it's still one of my favorite lesser-known spots to stay in the DC area. It's consistently $100 a night cheaper than other Hiltons and it's a 12-minute ride on the Metro to Union Station.
Old Jul 21, 07, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
Service really bad now b- what to do?

I just checked out after a 3 night stay where I hosted a large 2 day meeting with 28 rooms in the block and spent SEVERAL thousand $$$$s. The service at the front desk, bell staff, restaurant and banquet services at best was inconsistent, primarily on the bad side. The only good thing I can say is the food was quite excellent tasting for all meals -- once you were finally served.

As a Diamond and the lead person for the group, I kind of expected an upgrade when I asked for one at check-in (only lower floor rooms were available online and I like to be up high so I waited.) Was told nothing was pre-assigned for me or available - even when I said I could wait for a better room to be cleaned - and I was given a standard room on the 5th floor with no special amenities other than a free bottle of water each day and the continental breakfast coupons.

About 20 minutes later, 3 of my staff members, none of whom have any HH status, checked-in and were all given upgrades with gift baskets in their rooms. Funny thing is, when I made their reservations I didn't mention that they were on my staff so I'm really curious what happened. No other rooms in our group block had the goodies.

The GM stopped by our meeting and asked how everything was. I said I was not pleased with service and wanted to discuss it with him but I didn't have time then. He asked if there was anything he could do to make it better and I said we could explore the options when we met. Never saw the man again!!!

Now I'm really unhappy so I'm starting to document all the bad stuff to send him a letter. Does anyone think I should ask for bonus points to make it seem better to me? If so, how many? I already budgeted and paid for the meeting, so I'm not really looking for a discount. And I'm sure I won't be back so I don't want a better deal next time. What are your thoughts?

Thanks~
Old Apr 21, 10, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
I just stayed at this property for 3 nights and I thought that I would contribute my 2 cents.

I was on a paid trip, pre-paid a great rate in advance. When I checked in the staff was pleasant, friendly, and I was upgraded to a suite. The room was nice, a bit dated, but certainly worth the $81/night I paid. Flat screens in living room and in bedroom (in fact there was an extra flat screen on the table in the bedroom, not connected... my welcome gift?)

Wired internet was free and I was given coupons for a FULL breakfast. The coupons had the word "continental" scratched out and the word "FULL" written next to it with no initial or anything so I guess if you get the regular one you could try to upgrade your own.

On my second day I noticed that when they cleaned the room they removed my dirty towels but did not replace them. I figured housekeeping forgot - no biggie as I have a few more towels.

The next afternoon, I returned to find that the room was cleaned, dirty towels removed and no new ones stocked. I had one small hand towel. I called the front desk and rather than just say "Sir, I am sorry, I will get you towels," Gabriel decided to try to explain first that they were sold out the night before. "But," I pointed out, "you took my towels 2 days in a row and gave me none so surely there is an extra towel somewhere." Then he asked me if I requested towels because I should have. Now I was getting ticked off, since this was a Hilton property and as Diamond (or even when I was not) I never had to "request" for towels. After trying to blame me for not "requesting" them his next excuse was that a bunch of kids asked for extra towels.

I gave up. The next morning I hunted down the GM and was finally given towels. The ironic thing was that the day before I was thinking that this property was good and I would be happy to stay there again. I am not so sure any more.

There is no lounge. The breakfast buffet was okay. Some good choices.

The hotel is in a great location - The metro is 2-3 blocks (5 min) walk away. There are plenty of places to eat and shop nearby too. I felt totally safe at night as well.

Would I stay here again? If I get that $81 a night rate - SURE! Of course, I know now to "REQUEST" towels each and every day. Anything over $100 and I would consider the two other properties ( I believe it was HI and either HGI or HS) next door. Great location for mattress run with 3 properties right there!

Search this Thread