Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring {US-MD}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring {US-MD}

Old Feb 17, 03, 5:52 pm

Hilton Silver Spring, MD-anyone stayed there?

Was looking to stay there next month, as the rates are excellent and it claims to be remodelled. Did search on the HH forum and found nothing. Please advise. I value the opinion of those in this forum greatly. Thanks.

Edited for one more question: How's the proximity to the Metro?

[This message has been edited by uthornsgo (edited 02-17-2003).]
Old Feb 17, 03, 5:59 pm

There are some bits and pieces of information (positive at that) in the following threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/003539.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/003546.html
Old Feb 17, 03, 6:11 pm
Suspended

FWIW --

After 6/1, this hotel is a Category 1 Property!!

So, tell us if it is any good. I read that it is a 2 block walk to the DC Silver Spring Metro Stop -- Red Line? -- but I have been told that the neighborhood has changed for the worse since the 70's.
Old Feb 17, 03, 7:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Not the best of properties but no the worst either. Rooms were OK (think I was upgraded) and seemed to be fairly newly redecorated.

Breakfast was awful and I would recommend finding another place to eat unless they have fixed things in that department.

It is about a 4 or 5 block walk from Metro (2 very long blocks). Neighborhood not that bad. Kind of average all round but not bad value for money if you get a good rate. Metro ride in is fast and cheap. Still prefer staying at Hilton Embassy Row.

------------------

Blonde Bomber's Star Lounge Guide
BlondeBomber's Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart 2003
Dorian's Star Alliance RTW Price Chart
Hilton HHonors Rewards Hotel Levels

The FT Get Together Index
Old Apr 24, 03, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Hilton Silver Springs, MD

What is this property like? Is there a concierge lounge? What is the parking situation like?

Thanks!

------------------
Delta GM, United Premier, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Old Apr 24, 03, 8:29 pm
Original Member

I just walked from the Metro station (about 4 blocks) so don't know about parking. It is in a kind of a downtown area (a bit of a stretch to call it downtown but not really residential either).

The property was OK, nothing to scream about. No lounge that I was aware of--used to have one but closed? Breakfast was not the most appetizing. Apparently converted from another chain at some time.

Despite this, I am staying here again in June so thought it was good overall value. Room I was upgraded into was newly updated and spacious.

------------------

BlondeBomber's Star Lounge Guide
BlondeBomber's Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart 2003
BlondeBomber's Hilton HHonors Rewards Hotel Levels
BlondeBomber's Starwood Hotel Levels
Old Apr 24, 03, 8:33 pm
Original Member

Parking is $8/day

here is another thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/006793.html
Old Apr 24, 03, 11:10 pm

Don't know much about the Silver SprinG Hilton that hasn't been said. The hotel was rebranded about a year ago.

After decades of debate and failed urban renewal attempts, downtown Silver Spring is on a major upswing. The newly renovated, art deco Silver Theater (where I went to see a lot of movies as a kid) just had its Grand Opening a few weeks ago with Clint Eastwood as the guest of honor. It is now the East Coast headquarters for the American Film Institute. Also, the Discovery Channel just relocated to a brand new headquarters across the street. There are new stores and restaurants open and more under construction. Discovery and AFI are sponsoring Silverdocs, a documenentary film festival, June 18-22nd 2003. The Metro is an easy walk, so you don't really need a car if you want to explore DC. Still, the Hilton or Westin at Dupont Circle are probably better choices for visting DC, if you have a larger budget.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 04-24-2003).]
Old Nov 2, 03, 2:30 pm

Hilton Washington DC/Silver Spring Trip Reports and Reviews

Just a quick stay report for the archives...

Redeemed 6000 points for one night at this category 1 hotel (was on point stretcher special) got an upgraded king suite with my gold vip status.

Room was clean and spacious. Working desk, walk-in closet and bathroom, nice king sized bed. I'd say about 2X size of typical room.
Unfortunately there were no suites with double beds for some friends crashing in with us. Temperature was a balmy 80 degrees in MD this weekend and my companion and I took a walk around the neighborhood, which was clean and suburban-metro'ish with the railroad to DC a short 10 min walk away.

$8 for valet parking was a bit of an annoyance (and they don't let you park yourself). Did get one breakfast certificate for the $9.95 American breakfast as well. Water temperature and pressure were decent.

The hotel itself is a bit small (ditto the dining room), but seems well-maintained and
clean. Considering this is just a category one and can be redeemed for 6000pts/night on a point stretcher, quite a bargain and would recommend it.
Old Feb 26, 04, 11:40 am

Check your bill - Silver Springs Hilton

I just checked out yesterday and there were $86 in phone charges. All the calls were into DC which should be a local call, but it was billing as if I was calling cross country. I showed the front desk and they changed them all to the $.75 local call charge with no problem. I hope they fixed it.

[This message has been edited by I'mNeverHome (edited Feb 26, 2004).]
Old Feb 26, 04, 1:06 pm

Just a simple question... Why would you pay an exorbitant rate like that willingly?

Even after I exhaust my cell phone minutes every month (and I get 2000 anytime for $79 {Sprint PCS}) the per minute rate is $0.25. Doing the quick math, how much money could you have saved? Just a thought...
Old Feb 26, 04, 2:59 pm

I was dialing into an internet service because the crappy Silver Springs Hilton has no high speed.
Old Feb 26, 04, 3:40 pm

good reason... enough said
Old Oct 12, 05, 9:08 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
I stayed there last night and had a rather good stay.

I checked in and asked for an upgrade. I was told they did have a suite, but it was double beds only. I like a suite, so I took it. The suite was small, but two rooms and fit my needs. As others have mentioned, the bathrooms looked a bit rundown, but the sheets, towels, linens were all nice and soft and comfortable.

I received two passed for complementary FULL breakfast. This isn't much, but the continental alone would be really crappy. I'll save the other pass for another time, I guess. There was no executive lounge or executive floor.

The neighborhood is really fun ... lots of stuff open late and lots of good restaurants within 2 blocks (Austin Grill, Ceviche, Starbucks, Cold Stone Creamery, Phillips Seafood, Baja Fresh, Panera, and lots more). Plus, two movie theatres (one artsy, one not), a Borders bookstore, and other shopping. It's about 4-5 blocks to the Metro, but not a bad walk.

Anyway, a decent stay and the cost is usually much less than DC hotels.
Old Oct 12, 05, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Can affirm nice neighborhood

Originally Posted by Uniter
I stayed there last night and had a rather good stay.

I checked in and asked for an upgrade. I was told they did have a suite, but it was double beds only. I like a suite, so I took it. The suite was small, but two rooms and fit my needs. As others have mentioned, the bathrooms looked a bit rundown, but the sheets, towels, linens were all nice and soft and comfortable.

I received two passed for complementary FULL breakfast. This isn't much, but the continental alone would be really crappy. I'll save the other pass for another time, I guess. There was no executive lounge or executive floor.

The neighborhood is really fun ... lots of stuff open late and lots of good restaurants within 2 blocks (Austin Grill, Ceviche, Starbucks, Cold Stone Creamery, Phillips Seafood, Baja Fresh, Panera, and lots more). Plus, two movie theatres (one artsy, one not), a Borders bookstore, and other shopping. It's about 4-5 blocks to the Metro, but not a bad walk.

Anyway, a decent stay and the cost is usually much less than DC hotels.
As my flyertalk name suggests, I am from Silver Spring (that is singular Spring, not plural) and while I havent stayed at the Hilton here, I can affirm that the whole neighborhood is really nice with lots to do--The American Film Institute at the Silver Theater, shops, lots of restaurants, some good local theater and very convenient metro connections to downtown.

Search this Thread