FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton / Marriott Equivalents? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1282983-hilton-marriott-equivalents.html)

WhiteOut Nov 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Hilton / Marriott Equivalents?

Moderators -- not sure if this is in the correct forum -- pls move as needed & thanks.

I have searched the HH and Marriott forums for this question but could not find: can someone please post the HH/Marriott equivalents?

Fairfield = ?
Courtyard = ?
Springhill Suites = ?
Residence Inn = ?

I usually stay at Courtyards but their lack of free wifi bother me -- some offer it some dont...

I'm considering a move to HH since I'm a mid-level traveler...wont be making nearly enough stays in 2011 to keep Marriott gold, and attracted to the double-dip for some extra air miles...(I earn UA status on segments).

TIA!

mr27 Nov 21, 2011 1:34 pm

Fairfield Inn = Hampton Inn
Courtyard = Hilton Garden Inn
Springhill Suites = Embassy Suites
Residence Inn= Homewood Suites

I prefer HGI over CY when given a choice.

tvnwz Nov 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Agree with mr27. I find the HGI properties to be way better than Courtyard. At least where I travel. YMMV.

rayraf Nov 21, 2011 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by mr27 (Post 17492652)

+1 ^

craig44485 Nov 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by rayraf (Post 17494225)
+1 ^

+1 ^

JCary Nov 21, 2011 6:38 pm

I find Hampton Inn much better than Courtyard!

BobH Nov 21, 2011 6:38 pm

You missed

Hilton = Marriot
DT = Marriot ?

Best value is HGI !

Bob H

mr27 Nov 21, 2011 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by BobH:17494421

You missed

Hilton = Marriot
DT = Marriot ?

Best value is HGI !

Bob H

Thanks for adding Hilton and DT. I'm unsure if DT compares to anything Marriott offers. The quality can vary by property.

MoreMilesPlease Nov 21, 2011 7:16 pm

I would put

Embassy Suites=Residence Inn both are more upscale

Homewood Suites = Springhill Suites

texd Nov 21, 2011 11:00 pm

I agree that Embassy = Residence and Homewood = Springhill is more correct in terms of niceness (I think the reverse is true in terms of room amenities -- i.e. Embassy and Springhill are just suites, while Residence and Homewood include kitchenettes... but Embassy and Residence tend to be nicer than Springhill and Homewood).

As to Hampton being better than Courtyard, I find new Hamptons to be equivalent to new Courtyards. OTOH, old Hamptons can be far far more tired and cramped than old Courtyards.

3Cforme Nov 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Calling Fairfield equivalent to Hampton Inn is a slur on Hampton.

Hampton Inn - and escpecially Doubletree - has too much variation to be pegged cleanly.

Hilton does a decent job on its own describing its brands, found here as a start. IMHO it's more useful to the OP than describing to cast Marriott equivalents.

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/brands.do

mnredfox Nov 22, 2011 1:22 am

Originally Posted by craig44485 (Post 17494364)
+1 ^

+1 ^

tom_MN Nov 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Disagree. Homewood = Residence since both include dinner and have kitchens. Embassy (2 room suites with free happy hour) has no Marriott equivalent. Disagree that Residence is nicer than Homewood, for me only 1 has been, most shabbier.

Better:

Fairfield = Comfort Inn (neither has 1 hot item guarranteed with free breakfast)
Courtyard = Garden Inn
Springhill Suites = (nicer) Hampton Inn
(nicer) Residence Inn = Homewood
Marriott = Hilton
JW Marriott = (nicer) Doubletree (maybe)

[Mentioning Comfort Inn is of course a slam on all that Marriott snobbery.]

loomis Nov 22, 2011 4:31 pm

No one has an equivalent to ES

I agree with Tom_MN, when he says that ES has no Marriott equivalent. Heck, I will take it a step further and say that no hotel company has an answer to the ES brand

I consider ES to be a "category killer."

Embassy. Nov 22, 2011 4:37 pm

I don't think there's an equivalent to DT in Marriott either... those places range from the pits to the ritz.