Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Different Treatment duriing a reward stay

Old Nov 20, 11, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC

Has anyone else felt like there is a difference in treatment (upgrades, view, amenities) offered during a reward stay for elites vs a paid stay?

During my last few reward stays, I have been told that the hotel does not upgrade reward stays or some other excuse. This has not been my experience in the past.
Old Nov 20, 11, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, some properties have tried this, but it's not part of the program. The last attempt was at a F'S Hilton that upgraded me to Exec floor even though using a cert but did not program my key for the lounge. Asked when leaving for dinner and was told not granted to cert stays. I challenged their understanding of the program and left. When I got back there was an envelope with new keys and a note of apology from the FDM.

Next time you get such a response, ask to call the Diamond desk and see if the agent there will be willing to educate the property staff. Benefits should be based upon status and not method of payment.
Old Nov 20, 11, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
I have my complaints about HHonors but can honestly say this isn't one of them. I've never experienced second-class treatment on award stays and sometimes been given unusual attention.
Old Nov 20, 11, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
I have my complaints about HHonors but can honestly say this isn't one of them. I've never experienced second-class treatment on award stays and sometimes been given unusual attention.

This has been my experience as well. This year, so far, I probably have had about 15 nights using points and was upgraded every time.

Bobette
Old Nov 20, 11, 2:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
+ 1 ^

Maybe just a bad string of luck for the OP.

If anything I think I have had better treatment and upgrades, etc...on rewards.

Hope things turn around for you soon.
Old Nov 20, 11, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Haven't had any problem with award stay treatment.
Old Nov 20, 11, 4:37 pm

No difference at all - in fact, often better if the reward stay is for a special occasion and the property is aware.
Old Nov 20, 11, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat-1MM, Hhonors Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
No difference at all - in fact, often better if the reward stay is for a special occasion and the property is aware.
+1

I usually use award stays for family, vacations, something other than business. I have never had them not try to accommodate my request. Including late check out, suites, lounge and/or breakfast for more than 2 in the room, ect...

Sorry it has not been working out for you recently.

Did you make a note in the resrvation and/or email/call before the stay to let them know what "treatment" was most important to you?
Old Nov 20, 11, 5:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There are quite a few threads about it already, some people say there is a difference, some have never been treated differently.

There was one hotel I was using on a regular basis for paid and reward stays. I was just shy of 100% for upgrades to a wonderful giant suite on paid stays. I was zero percent (with them apologizing once because it was a reward stay) for upgrades on reward stays.

I think it depends on the property and their procedures. Upgrades is the only difference, the breakfast, the water and cookies, etc have always been the same.
Old Nov 20, 11, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
There are quite a few threads about it already, some people say there is a difference, some have never been treated differently.

There was one hotel I was using on a regular basis for paid and reward stays. I was just shy of 100% for upgrades to a wonderful giant suite on paid stays. I was zero percent (with them apologizing once because it was a reward stay) for upgrades on reward stays.

I think it depends on the property and their procedures. Upgrades is the only difference, the breakfast, the water and cookies, etc have always been the same.
For Hilton, as cordelli says been posted again and again here that it's the same. Very rarely not, but vast majority of the time same treatment.
Old Nov 20, 11, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
I used to focus my business on Marriott properties... I happened to have enough HH points accumulated for a free night at a fairly low tier Hilton and used them for an overnight for a football game overnight trip. The Hilton in question upgraded me to a suite despite my lack of status. That was one of the three reasons I migrated to HH (the others being Marriotts I stayed in regularly falling off in service and the opening of the Skirvin in Oklahoma City giving me a good HH property in my most frequent destination).

I got no special treatment at the Conrad in Chicago a few weeks back (one night reward, one paid), but then HH had errantly dropped me to Silver and I hadn't realized it.
Old Nov 20, 11, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by texd View Post
I got no special treatment at the Conrad in Chicago a few weeks back (one night reward, one paid), but then HH had errantly dropped me to Silver and I hadn't realized it.
I stayed there as a Diamond on an award stay last year - you didn't miss much. They gave me continental breakfast coupons; instead of an upgrade, they politely avoided yawning in my face regarding my status.
Old Nov 21, 11, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
I have never been upgraded during a rewards stay, but whenever I use points/QF3N's to upgrade it's during peak times when rooms are going for $625 or more a night (like the Hilton Bentley in Miami during spring break week, the DT times square on New Years eve or some other expensive hotel during a high demand) so the hotels are usually sold out anyway and I don't expect an upgrade and am figuring I am getting a great value for my points/certificates.

I have never been treated any differently. At the Bentley in March on my rewards stay I had a nice welcome letter and bottle of wine waiting in my room, a few years ago I stayed at the HGI on 8th street during New Years Eve in NYC and someone delivered a nice bag full of snacks and diet coke and bottled water to my room. I have always been given the benefits like the free wifi and free breakfast and late checkout with no issue at all on a rewards stay.
Old Nov 21, 11, 9:17 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
In my case it's the opposite. The greatest upgrades I've had (which includes a huge 300 sq.m suite) were on cert/point stays.
When it's a "normal" upgrade I get lounge access and other amenities I usually have.

UTA
Old Nov 21, 11, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh View Post
In my case it's the opposite. The greatest upgrades I've had (which includes a huge 300 sq.m suite) were on cert/point stays.
Same here, although admittedly several years ago. The best upgrades always came on Diamond Force award stays, I suspect because the property was getting a very good reimbursement rate from Hilton.

Now that my 8 year run of Diamond came to an end, I don't qualify for much of an upgrade any more as a lowly Gold.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: