Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium rooms rewards vs standard redemption: just the facts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium rooms rewards vs standard redemption: just the facts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Would you care to name the several properties you believe no longer have any Standard rooms?

I believe your thesis is faulty. A property may not have very many standard rooms, the room type classes may not be transparent (ie. is standard some set or subset of classic, traditional, deluxe, etc.?), and the inventory may go quickly leaving the appearance of only premium rooms, but, IMHO, every property has some Standard rooms.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat
Are they kidding????

Well, my sad story has to do with the fact Hilton doesn't let you reserve unless you have the points in hand. (Unlike Marriott which allows you to accrue the requisite points up to a few days before the rewards stay.)

Booked Hilton Tokyo for 60K/night for three nights (all the points I had at that time). Since then, accumulated more than 60K points and wanted to tack on another night. No can do.

For fun, I did a hypothetical re-book for the four night stay and this came up:
PREMIUM ROOM REWARDS
Premium Room Rewards allow HHonors members to use points to book ... Rate Details
You will need to purchase 525,551 points for $14,966.53

146,457HHonors Points/night

So I wound up having to pay cash ($430/night) for the last night (or buy points for a mere $1,400 and change).

Hilton's system of classifying rooms that SELL FOR THE SAME CASH AMOUNTS to steal 86,000 points extra per night can only be classified as bedside robbery.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:20 pm

Property: Canopy by Hilton Washington DC the Wharf

Dates: Jan 17-19, 2019

Regular reward rate: 80,000/night (2 queens, river view, $374/night honors discount)

Available reward rate: 136,000/night (2 queens, river front, $404/night honors discount)

Comments: Creditcard member, silver status. Huge points disparity for only $30 more and identical descriptions.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Would you care to name the several properties you believe no longer have any Standard rooms?

I believe your thesis is faulty. A property may not have very many standard rooms, the room type classes may not be transparent (ie. is standard some set or subset of classic, traditional, deluxe, etc.?), and the inventory may go quickly leaving the appearance of only premium rooms, but, IMHO, every property has some Standard rooms.
For fun, go search Appleton, WI "Hilton Garden Inn Appleton/Kimberly" for any date you choose. For example, 21-22 Nov.
You will find that standard rooms show up in the search page for 24,000 points. If you go through the $$$ link to book rooms, you will see both standard 2 Double Beds and 1 King bed available to book with Honors Discount for points and money. But, then if you check "pay with points", the rooms all disappear. This is for any day of the year, or at least any I have tried randomly. That's an example of just one property that has exempted itself from standard points bookings and even exempted itself from the game of "standard rooms listed as premium" with premium point charges. They've just delisted their standard rooms from points altogether.

They do let you book with points for accessible rooms. So I guess that counts for claiming they have some "standard rooms" although they're clearly not standard but accessible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.