Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Breakfast math that made my head hurt

Old Nov 11, 11, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

Elites: Complimentary continental with coupon.

Paid continental only: $16

Paid hot items only*: $18

Paid access to both hot and cold items: $22

Upgrade fee for elites: $9

This was a spread comparable to an HGI or Embassy Suites breakfast - $9 for cold and $12 for both would've been pushing it!

* I did not ask specifically, but it seemed quite clear from the wording that cold items were not a subset, but $4 more for toast with your eggs!
Old Nov 11, 11, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
bizarre... where was this?
Old Nov 11, 11, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Maybe the bread is considered continental and then if toasted, considered "hot"?
Old Nov 11, 11, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler View Post
bizarre... where was this?
Doubletree Honolulu
Old Nov 11, 11, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Doubletree Honolulu
I don't remember the details but I do remember that Mrs. Fredd and I discussed this too when we stayed there.

We'll bring a calculator next time.
Old Nov 11, 11, 8:01 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Surely this is not a problem if you are travelling with your wife, you get all the cold items and she gets all the hot items then you mix it up at the table thus saving you $10.
Old Nov 11, 11, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
Surely this is not a problem if you are travelling with your wife, you get all the cold items and she gets all the hot items then you mix it up at the table thus saving you $10.
Brilliant
Old Nov 11, 11, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
So its $9 more for an elite to upgrade from a contental to all items but only $6 for the kettles ($16 to $22 paid)????
Old Nov 12, 11, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
The free continental breakfast and upgrade option is just a scam if you ask me.

Then came NOR 1.

Now NOR 1 comes to breakfast?
Old Nov 12, 11, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've seen an upgrade from the free-to-elites continental breakfast before at another Doubletree (one in Atlanta) but didn't ask the full details of the price list. The higher surcharge for elites is curious, as noted. I don't object to the concept - the stated elite benefit is a continental breakfast for two, after all.
Old Nov 12, 11, 9:34 am
Suspended

In Chicago

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Elites: Complimentary continental with coupon.

Paid continental only: $16

Paid hot items only*: $18

Paid access to both hot and cold items: $22

Upgrade fee for elites: $9

This was a spread comparable to an HGI or Embassy Suites breakfast - $9 for cold and $12 for both would've been pushing it!

* I did not ask specifically, but it seemed quite clear from the wording that cold items were not a subset, but $4 more for toast with your eggs!

Something similar happened to me in Chicago. I asked the waiter what the drill was with my continental breakfast coupon and he said, "just have whatever you want. We cannot figure it out."
Old Nov 12, 11, 11:54 am
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit View Post
Something similar happened to me in Chicago. I asked the waiter what the drill was with my continental breakfast coupon and he said, "just have whatever you want. We cannot figure it out."
I think it is a pretty sucky and cynical pricing model to have in a leisure destination such as HNL. Don't we go there for a bit of sunshine and relaxation, not to be tested by breakfast arithmetic.

It is a bit like the DirecTV pricing model, where you buy the basic package and it magically includes nothing that you want, it has CNN, CNN Español, Fox News etc. But if you want BBC World News, then you have to upgrade to "hot items" and add the News and current affairs package, but that doesn't include Tru TV, so you have to add the entertainment package, but that doesn't include BBC entertainment so you have to add the international package, and for the 3 or 4 channels you actually want, you end up paying for all of them.

Honolulu has some great places for breakfast, I'd be inclined to say "screw it" to the hotel and go out for my food
Old Nov 12, 11, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
So its $9 more for an elite to upgrade from a contental to all items but only $6 for the kettles ($16 to $22 paid)????
Indeed, that's the "math" that I couldn't understand either!

I was there for three days, so figured breakfasts would be worth more than 1000 points for the entire stay. As I didn't get an upgrade, I should've had a hot breakfast at the joint next door for $9 instead.

I mean ... $22 for (roughly the same) breakfast that costs about half that at an HGI! Even Hiltons don't charge more than $6 to upgrade generally from continental.
Old Nov 12, 11, 8:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Why bother? The Wailana Coffee House is just down the street Ala Moana Blvd. from the Doubletree (right as you exit, cross Kalia Rd.) and across from HHV.
Old Nov 13, 11, 7:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, BA blue
There are some Hotels where you have to pay 6$ for only 1 egg. Happens to me in a small Hotel near Edinburgh Scottland. When I ordered the egg I didn't ask for the rate

Search this Thread
Search Engine: