Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Breakfast math that made my head hurt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breakfast math that made my head hurt

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nsx
And you got to know the lounge staff after staying there year after year? It was so sad when the new management laid most of them off.
They were great. Sigh, the good old days...
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: united, delta, british
Sattttttttttt...

used to mean Scholastic Aptitude Test, by the way, until numerous studies showed that it doesn't test aptitude at all, and isn't a very good predictor of university success, either. Now, according to its owners, SAT stands for nothing at all (poetic justice).
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:04 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The shower controls, however, needed a degree in rocket science to fully comprehend ...

I'd love to meet the designer who thinks that having a hot tap and a cold tap is just so 1954 and insists on some space age water device. It makes my skin crawl (and burn)
Old Nov 23, 2011, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by OB one
Doubletree Honolulu
The sad part is that elite breakfasts have been an issue here since at least 2003. Once upon a time it was a little bit of fruit and a few stale muffins set on a 3 foot diameter table in the corner, then it was $ off the buffett, then they gave $10 or $12 certs good at Cheeseburger in Paradise next door. Now the strange math. I hope at least they got their TV remotes straightened out.

And at least 6 years ago, someone else in the thread linked above suggested the Wailana Coffee house. Still good advice it appears.
This is a recent change then. I stayed at the property last summer and in '10, and it was the 'meh' continental breakfast included with other folks ordering from the menu for $. So is there a 'hot' Buffet there now?

I guess I'd probably skip it for a nice Rainbow Drive In of loco moco :drool:
Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:51 am

Elites: Complimentary continental with coupon.

Paid continental only: $16

Paid hot items only*: $18

Paid access to both hot and cold items: $22

Upgrade fee for elites: $9

This was a spread comparable to an HGI or Embassy Suites breakfast - $9 for cold and $12 for both would've been pushing it!

* I did not ask specifically, but it seemed quite clear from the wording that cold items were not a subset, but $4 more for toast with your eggs!
I think I understand their math. Breakfast cert is worth either A) Free Breakfast or B) $13 at most US Hilton. Some hotels will give you full breakfast for free, but others will only give you their cheapest available breakfast for free. In this case, they will give you the $16 continental breakfast for free. But if you want the full breakfast, then the upgrade fee would be $22 - $13 = $9.

I have stayed at 3 different Hilton last year that told me $13 is how much food I could get if I don't use it for the free "continental breakfast".
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

This is a recent change then. I stayed at the property last summer and in '10, and it was the 'meh' continental breakfast included with other folks ordering from the menu for $. So is there a 'hot' Buffet there now?

I guess I'd probably skip it for a nice Rainbow Drive In of loco moco :drool:
In addition to the continental setup inside the pub itself, on the left as you enter, there are a couple of long tables outside the pub (to the right as you enter) in the lobby, where the omlette chef is stationed, along with the chafing dishes containing meat offerings (and I believe a potato choice as well).
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Need
I think I understand their math. Breakfast cert is worth either A) Free Breakfast or B) $13 at most US Hilton. Some hotels will give you full breakfast for free, but others will only give you their cheapest available breakfast for free. In this case, they will give you the $16 continental breakfast for free. But if you want the full breakfast, then the upgrade fee would be $22 - $13 = $9.

I have stayed at 3 different Hilton last year that told me $13 is how much food I could get if I don't use it for the free "continental breakfast".
I accept that, but the extra $3 looks like gouging.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I accept that, but the extra $3 looks like gouging.
I think any BM (breakfast monetization - in honor of what DL is doing) is gouging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.