Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Cairo, Egypt {EGY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Cairo, Egypt {EGY}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: Mucci! (and BA Gold, HH Dia etc.)
TBH, I can't see the hotel being too sympathetic when you play the civil unrest card. The demonstrations in Cairo aren't new. IIRC, the first big demonstrations in Tahrir Square took place in mid February 2011. Tahrir Square is right next to the Ramses Hilton. Presuming you didnt book this trip pre February 2011, I'd guess that the hotel will wonder why you're asking for a move now - if you didn't understand the risk, that's unfortunate but I'll guess they'll say you shouldn't have booked.
FWIW, I stayed in this hotel a few times in 2008 and 2009 and it always was a rough hole. It's in a very (VERY) busy location with a big bus station right outside the door and the area is swarming with people coming and going for 22 out of every 24 hours. You only ever walked out from that hotel in broad daylight.
Get yourself a wedge for the door, only step out during the middle of the day and preferably only to a waiting car (not taxi) and you'll be fine.@:-)
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I would suspect you would be better off emailing the hotel than to hilton, hilton most likely does not own that hotel, the hotel owner may own other properties that they "might" consider letting you transfer your reservation to but i would highly doubt it, most non-refundable's are "non-refundable" hence there is risk involved that if you do not utalize the reservation as reserved you get nothing back and get to tpay the price agreed upon.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Kudos to Hilton

I wasn't hopeful, but Hilton came through for me. I am so relieved (well I think my husband and teacher friends even more so). Hilton HO couldn't help me but promptly forwarded my email to Hilton Ramses (and advised me of their action). Tonight, I received an email from Hilton Ramses advising they cancelled my booking are are refunding me in full. I couldn't ask for a better outcome and I will have no hesitation returning to this hotel when things settle down just on the basis of how they treated me on this occasion. Even better, I was able to cancel my flights and the service charge for that was only US$20 as well (full refund). So as far as my bookings are concerned it was a perfect resolution. I truly hope that my fears were unfounded and there are no violent protests and if the protests are as bad as suggested no one is injured.

Thank you to those who commented. I appreciated your input and ideas.^
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Good to hear. Hopefully you will repay them by staying there when you do return to Cairo. I found them to try hard to please during my recent stay.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Great to hear they are doing the right thing. From the sounds or Morsi and the many demonstrating, this could go on a while. But many people in Egypt are seriously concerned over the discussed bans offered by the Muslim Brotherhood and wondering if tourism, Egypt's big cash cow, will return to graze any time soon; I suspect we all wish conditions would become more propitious for our travel to Egypt - Insha'Allah, that is.

Forget that. Ex-President Mohammed Morsi has been relieved of office by the military and is in custody, along with many others. Martial law is essentially what is imposed and the "chief justice of the constitutional court would take on Mr Morsi's powers".

Ding! "Please take your seats and fasten your seat belts – the captain has advised us we are expecting some turbulence ahead."

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 3, 2013 at 10:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by tafawke

I couldn't ask for a better outcome and I will have no hesitation returning to this hotel when things settle down just on the basis of how they treated me on this occasion.
tafawke - I'm currently in Cairo (where I work full-time). Notwithstanding your understandable loyalty to the Ramses Hilton I would strongly recommend you consider moving 10 minutes north up the Corniche to the Cairo Conrad (assuming their rates aren't too much more expensive).

Compared to the Ramses Hilton the Conrad is a real oasis of tranquility, with better rooms, restaurants, pool, etc.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I have a couple of friends in the network TV news crews covering the Egypt story. Tahrir Square and vicinity is a high-risk zone for women at the moment. The sexual assault rate is horrific -- well beyond what's been reported in mainstream accounts. Too many rapes to count, plus attacks with blunt instruments, etc. Woman journalists are basically forbidden by their managements to leave the balcony stand-up positions overlooking the square. It's only going to get weirder and more unstable in the short term as the Muslim Brotherhood considers its retaliation options. Please be careful out there.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
tafawke - I'm currently in Cairo (where I work full-time). Notwithstanding your understandable loyalty to the Ramses Hilton I would strongly recommend you consider moving 10 minutes north up the Corniche to the Cairo Conrad (assuming their rates aren't too much more expensive).

Compared to the Ramses Hilton the Conrad is a real oasis of tranquility, with better rooms, restaurants, pool, etc.
A little OT but i will echo this endorsement of the Conrad- top notch.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Any updates?

Just was snooping around, saw some great prices Ramses $63, Conrad $95 in the Flash Sale.
As a HH Gold, which would you pick? Can I assume most of the comments from 3-5 years back are still generally true (horrible traffic for both, slight edge to Ramses for location but they're reasonably close to each other, Conrad is more polished and new)?
Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Just was snooping around, saw some great prices Ramses $63, Conrad $95 in the Flash Sale.
As a HH Gold, which would you pick? Can I assume most of the comments from 3-5 years back are still generally true (horrible traffic for both, slight edge to Ramses for location but they're reasonably close to each other, Conrad is more polished and new)?
Thanks!
For quality of accommodation it's a no-brainer: Conrad wins hands down.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I've got a 4 night stay coming up in March. As a Gold, which hilton property is best in Cairo, for a simple business trip? Is the consensus still the Conrad, or am I missing something? For example, will Gold get me free breakfast/access to the Lounge at all the Cairo hotels? Just making sure...
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Preacher7
I've got a 4 night stay coming up in March. As a Gold, which hilton property is best in Cairo, for a simple business trip? Is the consensus still the Conrad, or am I missing something? For example, will Gold get me free breakfast/access to the Lounge at all the Cairo hotels? Just making sure...
Yes. I stay both before in 2013. Conrad get me Exec Nile view and Ramses get me suite. I was Gold at the time check in. Both are great!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Thanks!
I would pick Ramses for the price you list.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Thx for your input. I just booked at the Ramses. 10K points v. 30k a night. They both have executive lounges for Gold members, free breakfast, etc. so I figured I'd book the one that only cost one third of the points. Plus, tripadvisor has the Conrad at #7 and Ramses at #9, virtually the same.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, and some others
This thread has been quiet the past 1+ year. Does anybody have any recent experience with Conrad and/or Ramses? I have checked tripadvisor and seen mixed reviews on both. I will use a cash+points rate so the Conrad would cost $15 + 4k more points per night which I am fine with if one yields better value. I figure the advantages might be:

RAMSES Hilton - it sounds like the upgrades for Hilton elites are slightly better than Conrad based on this thread (suite with view vs. executive view)
It is walking distance (though crossing crazy traffic) to the Egyptian museum.
Slightly cheaper

Conrad - There is a possibility for a Conrad duck and/or stuffed animal though in another thread I read that Cairo Conrad was not familiar with those amenities
It is probably a little quieter since it is just on one busy street vs. the intersection of two busy streets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.