Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Docklands Riverside {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Docklands Riverside {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
.......compared to the new Canary Wharf Hilton, this is a dump.
I agree. And I'm surprised they haven't flogged it off, now that Canary Wharf is up and running.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:24 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by diamondman2006
I agree. And I'm surprised they haven't flogged it off, now that Canary Wharf is up and running.
There used to be talks about that, but thanks to excellent location across the river from Canary Wharf, it remains as Hilton. The surroundings may not be the most glamorous ones but the service certainly is up to Hilton standards. Working a long day, taking a ferry across, and having a good night sleep, with little disturbances (apart from occasional fire-false-alarms), that´s all there´s to it. And the restaurant, especially the breakfast is quite ok.

Heathrow connections late in the evening and early in the morning work ok using the tube and courtesy bus. Daytime it depends on the general traffic conditions in the tube. Getting to Heathrow by pre-ordered cab is around 50 pounds and it may actually take longer than the tube journey.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by diamondman2006
It's all those big families...
Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:03 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
This is now a CAT4 hotel and therefore the cheapest of any London Hilton (except the horrible quasi-Hilton in Wimbledon, or the not-really-in-London-at-all Hilton Croydon). It's not really that bad if you're Gold or Diamond and you're trying to save HH points of £££s.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:21 am

Just completed a stay there. Was given a spacious room looking out over the river. The furnishings were badly in need of an upgrade. Really hideous. The room was two floors above the bar and I listened to 30 people singing along to Abba until 2 am -- not to mention the river cruises that went by with their own sing-alongs. The property is quite run down but the shuttle service to and from the Underground was efficient. Never waited longer than 10 minutes. From my several nights stay, I concluded that this hotel attracts a lot of locals who want to "splurge" and probably think they're staying in the lap of luxury.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:51 pm

Programs: HHonors diamond, Virgin Atlantic Gold, Goldpoints gold elite
London Hilton Docklands

My treatment as a Gold HH member seems to vary wildly at this hotel. Anyone else any experience of this place ?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 8:01 am

My "upgrade" was to an unrenovated room right above the bar. It was spacious and looked out over the river but was incredibly tired and loud. I had to listen to people sing ABBA songs until 2 am.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Stayed there last night. Automatically upgraded to a Deluxe Plus wharf room. Nice nice room overlooking the Thames but bit tatty and bathroom had not been cleaned properly. No problems with noise apart from the midnight fire alarm wake up call
Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:16 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I used to stay at this property frequently over the week-end. As the Canary Wharf property has great rates over the week-end, a great lounge, and no problem with transport to the hotel (at least either the DLR or the Jubilee line is working during the week-end, thanks to TFL works ), there is no reason for me to stay here anymore and put up with the quirks of the various buildings and rooms and the shuttle transfer to Canada Water.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond
Hilton London Docklands

Does anyone have any experience with the Hilton London Docklands. I'm planning to stay for a week with my two kids.

Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Rocketman93455
Does anyone have any experience with the Hilton London Docklands. I'm planning to stay for a week with my two kids.

Thanks
Have you checked it is still there after recent G20 meeting and protests?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
There are a lot of posts for that hotel. Stayed there for a weekend 3 weeks ago.

Key points;
- do not expect a 5-star hotel, it is a 3-star Hilton with 5-star breakfast
- hotel minibus to subway. It will take you 30-40 minutes to get from hotel to center. If you plan many returns to hotel during the day --> don't go there
- area is very nice, many parks, view is great
- rooms can vary from very small, no light to very spacious and river-facing. I was lucky to get confirmation on a river-facing room, and when it turned out to be the exact opposite we complained and got upgraded to Superior Plus Deluxe, which was great!

For business I would not stay there, but for holiday I would definitely consider it, if the price is very good.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:11 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I stayed there a few nights ago after getting locked out of my flat (which is just down the road!). Do not get confused with the Hilton Canary Wharf, which is new(ish) and on the other side of the Thames.

I think CAlex got it right - it's quite a basic Hilton hotel, albeit one which is quite cosy because of its location. No Lounge, Internet access is a frankly offensive £3 an hour, mainly small and out of date rooms. The smallish beds are extremely comfortable though. Staff seemed competent - they mobilised sharpish as I turned up after having travelled for 35 hours and found myself homeless and urgently needing a bed.

It's a pier for ferries across to Canary Wharf and from there you can go into central London - it's the best way to travel into central London, although unfortunately the Savoy Hotel American bar isn't open to welcome you in Zone 1 upon your arrival.

There's little in the immediate area of the Hilton, although there's one amazing local restaurant about 15min walk away in scenic old Rotherhithe (give me a shout if you have any questions about the local area). Room service and the restaurant are over-priced even by London standards, but the bar is quite nice for a nightcap.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Apr 3, 2009 at 3:16 am
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond
I'm staying there on an award and it was the only place in London that I could find that would sleep 3. Do you know if the internet is free for Diamond members? Would it be a good idea to ask for a river view now? How far is the nearest tube station?

Thanks for the help... the rounds are on me when I arrive.

Rocket

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I stayed there a few nights ago after getting locked out of my flat (which is just down the road!). Do not get confused with the Hilton Canary Wharf, which is new(ish) and on the other side of the Thames.

I think CAlex got it right - it's quite a basic Hilton hotel, albeit one which is quite cosy because of its location. No Lounge, Internet access is a frankly offensive £3 an hour, mainly small and out of date rooms. The smallish beds are extremely comfortable though. Staff seemed competent - they mobilised sharpish as I turned up after having travelled for 35 hours and found myself homeless and urgently needing a bed.

It's a pier for ferries across to Canary Wharf and from there you can go into central London - it's the best way to travel into central London, although unfortunately the Savoy Hotel American bar isn't open to welcome you in Zone 1 upon your arrival.

There's little in the immediate area of the Hilton, although there's one amazing local restaurant about 15min walk away in scenic old Rotherhithe (give me a shout if you have any questions about the local area). Room service and the restaurant are over-priced even by London standards, but the bar is quite nice for a nightcap.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Internet not free for Diamonds - although I didn't go into the business centre to check it out, they have some kind of a meter system installed directly.

Nearest tube on the south side of the Thames is Canada Water. It's a 15min walk, but there's a free shuttle bus that will take you there and back. I'd recommend the ferry, particularly as a family of tourists looking to see London (check out the day-pass for the boats). There are also buses which go into central London (the 381 to Waterloo and the C10 to Victoria). Make sure you get Oyster cards for your whole family (3 x £3 deposit) as soon as you arrive in the UK - "pay as you go" on the London tube system is a tourist rip-off.

As a Diamond I'd expect you to get one of the river view rooms (there are a lot of them), but if you're concerned then it can't hurt to ask in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.