Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: _kurt
Hilton Points Purchase Promotions
FAQ

How often does Hilton offer promotions on purchased points?

What is the typical / best offer?

Hilton frequently offers a 100% bonus on points purchases. There may be a minimum purchase required to receive the bonus.

How many points can I purchase in a calendar year?
The normal restriction in Hilton T&C limits each member to purchasing 80,000 points per year. Typically the bonus points are awarded after the restriction is enforced, meaning with a 100% bonus promotion you can purchase 80,000 points and receive another 80,000 as a bonus for a total of 160,000. Sometimes for promotions later in the year, Hilton will temporarily raise the limit on purchased points to 160,000 per year. Meaning, if you had purchased 80,000 in a previous promotion you could now purchase 80,000 more. Or, if it was the first points purchase of the year on your account you could purchase 160,000 and receive a bonus of 160,000.

What are the rules on purchasing points from a new / recently created Hilton account?

Posted by jbeckett in a now-locked thread:
From the Hilton Honors terms and conditions: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/terms/

A new Hilton Honors Member may purchase Points 30 days after enrollment if the account reflects activity including a stay (as defined herein) or earning Hilton Honors Points through a Hilton Hilton Honors Marketing Partner. After 90 days of enrollment, a new Member is eligible to purchase Points regardless of their account activity.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2002, 8:39 pm

What good is 7500 OP miles when transfers are in intervals of 5000 miles?
Old Nov 19, 2002, 9:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sergio:
What good is 7500 OP miles when transfers are in intervals of 5000 miles?</font>
If
7500 OP miles cost $99.00 then
15,000 miles = $198.00 and
15,000 OP translates into 30,000 Hilton points.
Still too expensive for someone who got used to receive loads of hilton points through stay bonuses or quarterly profile updates

AndrewM
Old Apr 24, 2003, 11:37 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
When you buy points, how long to post?

I'm getting close to the bewitching hour of May 31, 2003 for my GLONP award. I'll need to buy anywhere from 3k to 5k points.

Question: I want to wait as long as I can so I can buy the minimum amount of points to reach 150k but don't know how long it takes HHonors to post the points to your account after you buy them? I don't want to cheat myself out of an award by being 1k points too short but I don't want to buy points that I don't need either.

Anyone have any experience w/this?

Thanks.

Dawn
Old Apr 25, 2003, 8:24 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
The purchased points from HH post instantly!
Old May 18, 2003, 2:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Points purchase.

My partner is at 90k points and was going to order an GLON award.We are going to transfer over some airline points so is 10k too much to allow us a short term negative balance?

My other thought is to point purchase the 10k but how long does it take to have the purchased points post?

Alan
Old May 18, 2003, 3:17 pm

I believe that the hilton site advertises that the points are available immediately. Of course, you should double check this for yourself, but I don't think there's any need to hurry.

Edit to add:
https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/purchasepoints/index.aspx

and from the T+C:
4. The Points purchased under the Point Purchase Program will be posted to your Hilton HHonors account immediately. Please contact Hilton HHonors customer service if you have questions about your Hilton HHonors account.

[This message has been edited by landspeed (edited 05-18-2003).]
Old May 18, 2003, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
it takes seconds.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:00 pm

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
158K points, do I buy extra from Hilton?

As a newly minted diamond I'm trying to get an award stay at HHV (I need 175,000 HH points for the award, right?). I currently have 158,000 HH points so is it best to buy the 17,000 needed from HH or transfer miles from Diners/AA or are there options that you would recommend?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 3:10 pm

I would make the reservation first especially if your plan is not flexible. You don't have to have the 175K or certificate in advance of reservation. Then, depending on how close your travel date is, you may have various options. As long as you have 175K by the day before your travel, you are OK because HH can email you the cert. If your travel date is more than 8 weeks away, I would sign up for HH Amex and HH Visa to get the sign-up/first use bonus points.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 3:19 pm

If your AA balance is high enough, I'd suggest sending 5K or 10K American miles over. While it might not be the "best" use of miles, it keeps you from putting cash out of pocket, and an AA PLT or EXP can earn those miles back really easily.

I've decided that I'm going put AA miles over to HH on an "as needed" basis, with the goal being to minimize out-of-pocket expensives on trips and use my travel budget to earn elite miles on AA. YMMV.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 3:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by landspeed:
If your AA balance is high enough
</font>
I have around 190K miles with AA and another 200K or so with Diners.

It's good to know that I don't need to actually have the miles when I book - definitely makes a difference, was hoping to go in April but don't know if it's feasible to expect to be able to get a HHV award stay with so little notice, guess I'll find out when I call HH, thanks once again for the info, much appreciated

Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by landspeed:

I've decided that I'm going put AA miles over to HH on an "as needed" basis, with the goal being to minimize out-of-pocket expensives on trips and use my travel budget to earn elite miles on AA. YMMV.
</font>
HEAR HEAR! Just be aware to allow sufficient time for the AA to Hilton transfer. I'm in the process. First, you fax a request to AA. It then issues a paper certificate, which must be mailed into Hilton. This is going to take a minimum of four weeks for me. As a side note, you get 2 Hilton points for each AA mile transferred.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 7:15 pm

SanDiego1K Thanks for the heads up, I've just blown my AA miles on 4 FC tickets to HI so I guess I'll have to dig into Diners Club instead
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or ... there's still time.

If you haven't done it yet, check out the thread re: 4 stays and 50K points.

If you can get them to put the ACAQ promo code on your Diamond account (I did; others have reported mixed results). One or two stays at a Hampton nearby (by Feb 15) will net you 5-15K extra points.

Maybe not worth staying just for the points, but if you're going to be staying somewhere anyhow ...

Finally, Hilton has an affinity card you can sign up for and get (I think) 10K points - you should have time before your trip.

Last year, I was ingnorant of the various ways to pick up points, so I wound up buying 10K from Hilton. It was no big deal, and we had a very enjoyable time in Paris. Still, if you don't have to shell out any actual cash ...
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SanDiego1K:
HEAR HEAR! Just be aware to allow sufficient time for the AA to Hilton transfer. I'm in the process. First, you fax a request to AA. It then issues a paper certificate, which must be mailed into Hilton. This is going to take a minimum of four weeks for me. As a side note, you get 2 Hilton points for each AA mile transferred. </font>
Good point. I'd suggest calling AAdvantage customer service before faxing a request in. I know you're supposed to fax/mail your request unless you want to pay an expedite fee. However, the two times I've requested HH certs by phone they've sent them, no charge. Last week, they even FedExed them!

To the original poster-
- If you have at least 5K "garbage miles" on CO, you can do the CO&gt;Amtrak&gt;HH instead

- I think the miles you buy from HH are available immediately, and award certs can be claimed online/via e-mail so you have a cushion if transfers don't come through in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.