Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by Cymro
The policy is not a space-available upgrade to an exec room, though. It is a space-available upgrade to a superior room, which usually means one category up (but explicitly says it can include higher floors, better locations, views, etc.) In practice, most hotels will honour a one-category upgrade.
While technically true, most HHonors Golds DO get upgraded to Executive Rooms on a space available basis at hundreds of hotels worldwide.
Even when the hotel is empty, Hilton LGW chooses not to allow Golds this upgrade.
Whether or not we agree with it, that's their policy, and just glancing at the reviews of this hotel online, many many Golds are unhappy/surprised about that policy.

So it's good for Golds to know not to book this hotel based on prior treatment at other Hiltons.... or based on hopes/expectations of upgrade to Exec Lounge (meaning, they should grab the Hampton or another cheaper hotel around LGW).
For myself, it was worth the extra price for the location -- a short walk into the terminals.
YMMV.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Ironically enough, my post was the last one here (5 months ago!) when I was Gold. Now a Diamond, we will see if things get any better.
Again, ended up here because of a great rate AND the fact that I love the idea of leaving the hotel at 6:15am, and walking into the terminal for my 08:25 departure to ALG instead of leaving a city hotel at 5am and taking the train at 530am.
That said, it'd be nice if it was a bit better. I will update.
Oh and BTW another enticing factor was the "Sale Rate" of GBP68! :P
wizla likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:00 am

We are looking to book a day rate---arriving at 8:00 am, departing 1:00 pm---for a nap and a shower. I'm a Diamond, will we have lounge/breakfast benefits with a day rate? The cost is the same as if we were staying overnight, just the hours are different.
Also, how long should we allow to get from this Hilton to check in at the north terminal? The Hampton is sold out for that day, and the rates they had available for overnight were 50% more.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Suzzin
We are looking to book a day rate---arriving at 8:00 am, departing 1:00 pm---for a nap and a shower. I'm a Diamond, will we have lounge/breakfast benefits with a day rate? The cost is the same as if we were staying overnight, just the hours are different.
Also, how long should we allow to get from this Hilton to check in at the north terminal? The Hampton is sold out for that day, and the rates they had available for overnight were 50% more.
I can't help on the Diamond benefits on a day rate, my guess is that you will have lounge access, and thus breakfast there at least.

For the North Terminal, it's a 5-10 minute walk to the transit, and under 5 minute transit ride. Plus waiting time for a shuttle. If you allow 15 minutes you may get there slightly sooner.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Suzzin
Yep, works the same as night rate, you will get breakfast on arrival ( restaurant or lounge ) and of course lounge access.
Hamptons never appear available on day rates , at leat in the UK.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wizla
Yep, works the same as night rate, you will get breakfast on arrival ( restaurant or lounge ) and of course lounge access.
Hamptons never appear available on day rates , at leat in the UK.
Hampton Gatwick does offer day rates, as do other airport Hamptons in the UK, e.g. Bristol.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But it's rare. Hamptons don't have 24h housekeeping, they finish early compared to the full-service brands, 4PM is not unheard of. Often when those hotels offer day-rates, occupancy is low and the rooms won't be cleaned until the next day or the hotels are prepared to extend housekeeping hours to cover it.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:33 pm

My stay last week Sunday as a Diamond was better than expected:
1) Check in at 1pm was smooth, staff were very nice-- and was assigned a room in the new(ish) wing that is super far from the front desk.
2) Swung by the lounge for a coffee. Staff was friendly.
3) Left and went into London. Bought a GBP17 (I think) day ticket that allowed a train ride into the city and also included tube travel within London. Went to Piccadilly Circus, did some great shopping (some great sales!) and then had a wonderful Japanese meal at Yamagoya, a very authentic ramen place (I lived in Japan 7 years so I'm picky!)
4) arrived back at the Hilton, tried to hurry to the lounge but arrived at 8:33pm. When I walked in, they were just beginning to clean up at the end of the Happy Hour. One of the lounge attendants came over and made sure I got a nice drink (a healthy pour of white wine!) before they closed up the alcohol, and also tried hard to get me some snacks. I told them I'd just eaten so didn't need much of anything, they still made up a plate for me of dried fruits and nuts to go with my white wine. I will say this-- while I understand the temptation to stay in the Hilton Lounge, there is such good food available if you've got the time and energy to leave the hotel. That said, I do just wanna stay in sometimes!
5) Check out consisted of the front desk agent telling me to leave the keys, "that's all." -- and the receipt was emailed to me.
For GBP69, this was a great stay.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:33 am

Checking back in, our stay was great. The hotel is walkable through the parking lot from the South terminal. We arrived in a jet lag fog, a bit too early for check in but right in time for a great breakfast in the lounge. Staff was very helpful and friendly. We got in to our room at 8 am (usual time is 9 am), slept for a while, and including walking and waiting it was about 10-15 minutes from hotel door to North terminal.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:09 pm
cjd

Had another 2 recent stays at the Gatwick Airport Hilton, prior to flight and also on our return. First stay included 9 days parking in the adjacent Euro car park, which is very convenient and is manned 24 hour parking. On arrival at 3pm, upgraded to a very nice king suite in the new wing. Bed was comfortable and had separate sitting room. with second washroom. Main bathroom had a large walk in shower with additional jets. Lounge was open for happy hour from 6pm to 8.30pm and got very busy soon after 6pm.
On our very late return at 1.30am in the morning, we were given a junior suite in the old wing. Same junior suite as in our last visit in September last year. Good size suite with large bathroom, but very small corner shower. Again, the king bed was comfortable . Took the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant,
Two good stays again.
Abidjan and wizla like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cjd
On our very late return at 1.30am in the morning...
Thanks for clarifying that. Otherwise we might have thought that you meant 1.30am in the afternoon.
cjd and :D! like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:13 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Dated, tired & in dire need of a refurbishment. Even the newer wing looks like something from the 90's & my Executive room had stained carpets & looked knackered, along with a fairly ancient TV. Not good.

Evening drinks/canapés an absolute zoo, with lines 8 deep for the hot dishes (which were poor) & (literally) standing room only.

Had occasion to interact with a manager over service issues & he was truly awful; rude & dismissive & would not accept my "Make It Right" claim either. Cr** management for sure. Will not return.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by NoY
Dated, tired & in dire need of a refurbishment. Even the newer wing looks like something from the 90's & my Executive room had stained carpets & looked knackered, along with a fairly ancient TV. Not good.

Evening drinks/canapés an absolute zoo, with lines 8 deep for the hot dishes (which were poor) & (literally) standing room only.

Had occasion to interact with a manager over service issues & he was truly awful; rude & dismissive & would not accept my "Make It Right" claim either. Cr** management for sure. Will not return.
Hard to disagree with that...The rooms are in dire need of some TLC (esp the creaky beds) and you always have to get in the lounge early before the hoards arrive. Last time I was there, people were just standing at the food offerings
and consuming as they stood there.
I really only stay for the location... :-/

Shocking to hear of that management response, I hope you take that complaint further.
NoY and wizla like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:16 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MoodyB
Hard to disagree with that...The rooms are in dire need of some TLC (esp the creaky beds) and you always have to get in the lounge early before the hoards arrive. Last time I was there, people were just standing at the food offerings
and consuming as they stood there.
I really only stay for the location... :-/

Shocking to hear of that management response, I hope you take that complaint further.
Thank you. I did escalate to the Honors Diamond Desk in the U.S. & lodged a claim against the "Make It Right" promise. Never heard back after the initial call/e-mail etc. Followed up again & received 5,000 points but still no conclusion. "Make It Right"? Ha! Total BS, for sure!!
wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:36 am
NoY

Originally Posted by NoY
Thank you. I did escalate to the Honors Diamond Desk in the U.S. & lodged a claim against the "Make It Right" promise. Never heard back after the initial call/e-mail etc. Followed up again & received 5,000 points but still no conclusion. "Make It Right"? Ha! Total BS, for sure!!
Further update. I reached out to the GM & was offered 10,000 points as a gesture of goodwill. Still poor but I have accepted the points & now consider the matter closed. And will never darken their doors again
Abidjan and MoodyB like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.