Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador
Big cutbacks in Exec Lounge

I remember that there used to be "Happy Hour" for 3 hours in the Exec Lounge at the Hilton LGW. A couple of years ago they pulled it back to 2 hours, which wasn't unreasonable. They cut the food back a bit a year ago (by cutting back on the famously spicy chicken wings). Now they've gone a stage further - implemented in the last two weeks since I last stayed here. (I'm a regular, staying every couple of weeks).

Now there is no afternoon tea offering at all (which used to be really good with scones, jam and cream etc) and the evening buffet has been gutted - now no soup, no cheese - basically nothing except stale crisps and some rather odd vegetarian canapés. They've also stopped serving prosecco. Still have basic spirits though. They used to have better quality wine, but that was enhanced away a few months ago too...

I suspect most people in here are Diamonds, but it's always full - I fear it's becoming like a US lounge.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by seat1C
I remember that there used to be "Happy Hour" for 3 hours in the Exec Lounge at the Hilton LGW. A couple of years ago they pulled it back to 2 hours, which wasn't unreasonable. They cut the food back a bit a year ago (by cutting back on the famously spicy chicken wings). Now they've gone a stage further - implemented in the last two weeks since I last stayed here. (I'm a regular, staying every couple of weeks).

Now there is no afternoon tea offering at all (which used to be really good with scones, jam and cream etc) and the evening buffet has been gutted - now no soup, no cheese - basically nothing except stale crisps and some rather odd vegetarian canapés. They've also stopped serving prosecco. Still have basic spirits though. They used to have better quality wine, but that was enhanced away a few months ago too...

I suspect most people in here are Diamonds, but it's always full - I fear it's becoming like a US lounge.
i was led to believe that they had to offer at least one hot offering as a brand standard, however what a shame they have cutback other areas too......I've only stayed there once ( a couple of years ago ) and it was very good.....disappointing!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wizla

i was led to believe that they had to offer at least one hot offering as a brand standard, however what a shame they have cutback other areas too......I've only stayed there once ( a couple of years ago ) and it was very good.....disappointing!
Originally Posted by seat1C

The Hilton Gatwick had been a Hilton managed hotel, but has recently changed to run by the franchise, but keeping the Hilton Branding, so explains all the cut backs.

As a guest, complain through the Hilton channels (ie via guest surveys or direct to Hilton, not to a employee or manager of the hotel) if you are not happy with the service provided, as a franchise they have to meet the brand standard set as part of their deal.

Originally Posted by wizla

It was Hilton managed, recently it changed.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 24, 2019 at 1:02 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
The Hilton Gatwick had been a Hilton managed hotel, but has recently changed to run by the franchise, but keeping the Hilton Branding, so explains all the cut backs.

As a guest, complain through the Hilton channels (ie via guest surveys or direct to Hilton, not to a employee or manager of the hotel) if you are not happy with the service provided, as a franchise they have to meet the brand standard set as part of their deal.
I guess it is best to use the feedback on the app? Not enough people give feedback to Hilton
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:58 am

Wouldn’t do any harm letting the owners know directly although they now seem to control a large number of rooms in the Gatwick area as they also have the Arora and the Sofitel.

Arora Group
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed here recently, and oh my, what a craphole. The lounge is the worst I ever visited in the UK, Exec room bed absolutely knackered, creaky flooring, aircon with the blowing power of a AA-powered handheld fan. Never again.

I can see why the Hampton costs more.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I guess it is best to use the feedback on the app? Not enough people give feedback to Hilton
On the Hilton website, go Support and Contact Us, there is an option for Recent Stay Feedback. It should end up here, I just cut out the generated session ID for the link, so hopefully it works ok:

https://secure.hilton.com/en/hi/feed...sistance.jhtml

That will get sent to Hilton Worldwide and channeled to team. They can't fix things they don't know that is broken, so any report from customers does actually get read, and if a hotel is getting poor customer survey submitted, and other poor feedback, Head Office is going to be putting the hotel under the spotlight.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Hilton LGW and Diamond member e-standby upgrade questions

Hi

we are staying at Hilton LGW on Saturday night for a morning Sunday flight.

I have requested an e-standby request to upgrade to a executive room. The price (if successful) is Ł43. The only reason I did it was so we could get in the executive lounge and enjoy the evening free bar time.

since I booked the room and did the e standby request, I have had my status matched from another program and am now Diamond Hilton status.

Would this status automatically get us into the lounge anyway? And as Diamond would I be likely to get a free upgrade anyway?

If so, is it a good idea to cancel the e standby request? It would be handy to save the Ł43 . The standard rooms are perfectly acceptable for a short one night stay and early departure in the morning.

thanks

Last edited by hungry; Jun 14, 2018 at 2:04 am
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by hungry
Would this status automatically get us into the lounge anyway? And as Diamond would I be likely to get a free upgrade anyway?
Yes.
Maybe, depends how busy they are. Never expect an upgrade and you won't be disappointed!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Yes.
Maybe, depends how busy they are. Never expect an upgrade and you won't be disappointed!
Thanks ! I am going to cancel the e standby thing. Like I said I only wanted it for the exec lounge and free bar but I will get that anyway.

Next Q, am I better off checking in on the app as soon as it’s available rather than checking in when arriving? Which gives the best chance of a comp upgrade?

thanks again
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Never had anything less than an Exec room as a Diamond here. Those rooms are in the newer wing and are a lot better. From memory they typically upgrade the evening before arrival here, but I think my last upgrade was done overnight on my last stay and was showing early morning.

Check-in on the app if you have the upgrade showing. If not, wait until you get there and ask at check in about an upgrade. I have never had an upgrade occur after doing an app check in as the hotels (in the UK at least) usually stick to the room selected as guests may have picked a particular room location. When in doubt, wait it out

Finally, congratulations on your new DIamond status!
wizla and hungry like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
Never had anything less than an Exec room as a Diamond here. Those rooms are in the newer wing and are a lot better. From memory they typically upgrade the evening before arrival here, but I think my last upgrade was done overnight on my last stay and was showing early morning.

Check-in on the app if you have the upgrade showing. If not, wait until you get there and ask at check in about an upgrade. I have never had an upgrade occur after doing an app check in as the hotels (in the UK at least) usually stick to the room selected as guests may have picked a particular room location. When in doubt, wait it out

Finally, congratulations on your new DIamond status!
thanks so much. So to get this right in my head if I start the process on the app and it doesn’t show an upgraded room then I can still cancel the check in process and do it at the hotel?

Diamond status is nice but I won’t be able to maintain it and only have this stay at a Hilton property planned for the foreseeable. . So have to make the most of it
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Diamond status is nice but I won’t be able to maintain it and only have this stay at a Hilton property planned for the foreseeable. . So have to make the most of it
While I congratulate you on being able to save GBP43 by virtue of a status match to achieve Hilton Diamond I can imagine Hilton would feel like a bunch of idiots upon reading your story.

Presumably status matches are given out on the basis that they will bring additional business to the organisation - you have illustrated that precisely the opposite can occur.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

While I congratulate you on being able to save GBP43 by virtue of a status match to achieve Hilton Diamond I can imagine Hilton would feel like a bunch of idiots upon reading your story.

Presumably status matches are given out on the basis that they will bring additional business to the organisation - you have illustrated that precisely the opposite can occur.
I didn't say I wouldn't be staying at Hilton ever again, in fact after this trip I have no further trips planned at all until October for a wedding (and at that place where Hilton don't have a presence). Do you expect people to book trips they don't want / need because a huge organisation like Hilton gave a status match?

They offer the status match program freely, its not a secret or a one off. Surely if they didn't want people taking advantage of it they wouldn't offer it!

I feel offended by your pathetic comments to be honest.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:51 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat

thanks so much. So to get this right in my head if I start the process on the app and it doesn’t show an upgraded room then I can still cancel the check in process and do it at the hotel?

Yes, you can cancel online check-in during the check in process...once you see what room you are able to pick, if it is not an upgrade, simply quit the app or cancel that stage and it will ask you to confirm quitting online check-in, do this and exit. No issues whatsoever in doing this and then checking in at the hotel.

Agree that this hotel tends to upgrade diamonds to the new wing (only stayed a few times but every time this was the case) and yes, you'll get exec lounge access as diamond in any case, regardless of the room you go in.

Enjoy, hope you get to see whether Hilton will be better for your travel patterns and frequency than what you have used in the past. There are a lot of hotels, the benefits of diamond are the guaranteed lounge access and free breakfast, room upgrades are hit and miss.

Safe travels.
wizla and hungry like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.