Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Staying here tonight. It's moderately busy. Lounge was pretty well managed and they seemed to have improved the food presentation at least. Cold selections of meats and cheeses along with veg and pasta small pots. This was accompanied with soup and 2 warm items, Asian bytes so-to-speak!

A choice of red, white, spirits, beers, soft drinks and Codornui Cava.

Main hotel bar very busy with big groups of summer holiday guests!

Overall a a good experience. Sadly I think the rooms require modernisation. They are beginning to look dated but otherwise very clean and acceptable before or after a flight.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Had an early flight with BA so stayed at this property the night before. Very quick check in and an upgrade to a large King room. Very nice room which was in very good condition with large bathroom with separate bat and walk in shower.

The best bit for us was it was exactly a 10 minute walk from our room to Fast Track security so a few extra minutes in bed!

Evening service in the lounge starts at 6:30PM. Was very busy and noisy but managed to grab a spot down near the PC's. The ladies looking after the food and drink were superb. Dashing around clearing plates and glasses and ensuring that nothing ran out.

Food and drink was pretty good and certainly enough to make a light evening meal.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by 360guy
I will be arriving LHR and going to the Hilton GBR.
Does Uber operate between these two locations?
Are there any decent local restaurants in the area outside the Hilton GBR?
I can recommend Turtle Bay in Crawley if you like Jamaican food you will love it.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:38 pm

Stayed there for 2 nights - pre-selected room on the App. Upon arrival, I asked about lounge access and the front desk agent upgraded me to the executive room as a Gold. Was also offered 2 bottles of water at check-in.

Lounge won't open until 2pm due to the holidays - we were offered breakfast in the Garden Restaurant. Breakfast spread is good - full English, bread corner, oak meals, salad. I found it is at par with Hilton Canary Wharf.

Room at the new wing is good - clean but a bit tired but I found it adequate. I left the room at about 1pm and found the room didn't get refreshed. I called and it was refreshed in about an hour while I am retreating at the lounge.

During 6:30pm to 8:30pm the lounge was kind of full. Full bar was offered along with canapes and a mushroom soup. Lounge attendant was nice.

Found the cheapest way to go to central London is to buy a roundtrip ticket on National Rail - 13.6 pound round trip plus a couple more with the travel card option. Oyster will cost 8.1 pound one-way. I believe oyster is capped at 19.3 pound daily. It takes about 45 minutes from Gatwick airport station to Central London with a change of train at Chapman.

I would stay there again.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by khkchan
Found the cheapest way to go to central London is to buy a roundtrip ticket on National Rail - 13.6 pound round trip plus a couple more with the travel card option. Oyster will cost 8.1 pound one-way. I believe oyster is capped at 19.3 pound daily. It takes about 45 minutes from Gatwick airport station to Central London with a change of train at Chapman.
Just a small correction. It's clapham junction you are referring to changing at. This only needs to happen if you want to go to Waterloo rather than Victoria. Trains also run to London Bridge, Farringdon, Blackfriars and St Pancras. These are all central London stations.
Also, all of the fares you refer to are the off peak fares. (after 9.30am)
Old May 2, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Staying here tomorrow night ahead of an early BA flight from South terminal on Friday morning. How long does it reasonably take to get from the hotel to the BA check in desks at South terminal? We will have checked in online but have baggage and will need passports checked as it's TATL. Just trying to work out if we should go and check the bags in then return for breakfast or if it's just not worth the effort to do that.
Thanks
Old May 2, 2018, 8:20 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by scottish minnie
Staying here tomorrow night ahead of an early BA flight from South terminal on Friday morning. How long does it reasonably take to get from the hotel to the BA check in desks at South terminal? We will have checked in online but have baggage and will need passports checked as it's TATL. Just trying to work out if we should go and check the bags in then return for breakfast or if it's just not worth the effort to do that.
About 10 minutes walk depending on where your room is - it's a big hotel. I'd allow 30 minutes from room to check-in to restaurant, shave off 5 minutes if you're in F.

If you wish, you can store your bags in the breakfast restaurant to avoid needing to go back to the room. (But the storage cupboard is by the front entrance and not very visible from the tables - though I don't worry about theft in the UK.)

I think it depends on the timings of your flight and whether you plan to wake up early or as late as possible. Part of the walk is somewhat exposed to the outside, so in December I prefer to get some food in me first and only go out in the cold and dark once; in May it will be bright at 0530 and less cold so I wouldn't mind doing that walk 3 times.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Flight is 9.40 so not ridiculously early. Will see where the room is and decide from there. I had thought it was same Terminal as BA then found out I was mistaken so started to wonder how close we were actually going to be

Both early risers and we are club world so should be shorter check in line (hopefully). Likely we will do the walk 3 times - just to kill time!
Old May 2, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Flight is 9.40 so not ridiculously early. Will see where the room is and decide from there. I had thought it was same Terminal as BA then found out I was mistaken so started to wonder how close we were actually going to be

Both early risers and we are club world so should be shorter check in line (hopefully). Likely we will do the walk 3 times - just to kill time!
BA flies from the South Terminal, which where the hotel is.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Staying here tomorrow night ahead of an early BA flight from South terminal on Friday morning. How long does it reasonably take to get from the hotel to the BA check in desks at South terminal?

You also have the option of checking your bags (some or all of them) the evening before at LGW, and collecting your boarding passes. Available after 16:00 hrs until about an hour before the last BA flight of the day (usually an EDI or GLA, both of which are about 21:30 departure). This applies to almost all airlines at LGW, the exceptions essentially being the one a day airlines which don't have a check-in point in the evenings. South Check-in is 10 minutes or less from the hotel reception, some of it is on a moving walkway.
:D! likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by khkchan
All trains to London leave from the Gatwick South Terminal location and one can buy a ticket at the train station for whatever service, line or London destination is desired. For my purposes, London Victoria is usually the best choice, as it is close to so many tourist spots, including Buckingham Palace. One's choice of ticket is also dependant on off peak or prime time travel. It is difficult to actually find the exact definition of the cut-off for prime times, but I have interpreted off peak to mean one would have to arrive in London after 11:00, and depart around 16:00. Of course, were one to require a simple one way ticket into the city, travel after 11:00 is all one needs to know. Also, weekends are off peak, so Saturdays, Sundays and holidays benefit from the lower fares and various Off Peak Travelcards. Single ticket prices range from 13.80 to 16.80. A better deal, IMHO, is the Off Peak 1 Day Travelcard at 17.10 offered by Southern Rail. It allows unlimited train travel between London Victoria and Gatwick stations using Southern trains, in addition to zone 1-6 trams, buses and the all important London Underground, or Tube. Zones 1-6 encompass much of London, so one can maximize its use quite efficiently and economically. Trains between London Victoria and Gatwick ran every 30 minutes during the day, and the journey takes approximately 40 minutes. The Gatwick Express at 17.80 for an anytime single fare, or32.70for an anytime return fare, travels the same route in 30 minutes and has no stops, whereas the Southern train has three.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by flyme2
All trains to London leave from the Gatwick South Terminal location...
I'm sure you posted with good intentions, but apart from this first statement, the rest of the post is inaccurate or just incorrect.

The ticket machines sell most common tickets, but they may not always sell the best value ticket, and often they invite you to purchase a more expensive ticket when a cheaper one, which is hard or impossible to find, is also valid.

In many cases, an Oyster or contactless bank card will be the best value. For these, off-peak and peak times are simply based on the time you touch in at the ticket barriers of the origin station. If you touch in between 0634-0928 and 1604-1858 on working days, you will be charged the peak fare.

There are no off-peak paper one-way tickets. There is no afternoon peak period for paper tickets on this route.

Off-peak paper return tickets are valid for any train that arrives at a London Terminals station after 0950. Off-peak paper travelcards are generally valid from the 0933 departure to London Bridge. These tickets can be used to enter stations until 0430 the next morning. There may be some obscure tickets with different restrictions.

Your prices are out of date by several years.

A one-day travelcard does not allow unlimited travel between Gatwick and London. It allows one return trip from the origin to the destination and unlimited travel within London zones 1-6.

A typical weekday's daytime schedule includes are 4 Gatwick Express-branded trains and 5 Southern-branded trains every hour to Victoria. There are also 4 Thameslink-branded trains per hour to London Bridge, and 2 to 4 Thameslink-branded trains per hour to Blackfriars/Farringdon/St Pancras and onwards.
Roger, sarahluv and yrin like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Whats Hilton Spire status?
Old May 3, 2018, 2:48 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Skimanant
Whats Hilton Spire status?
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...honors-aspire/
Old May 3, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
I'm sure you posted with good intentions, but apart from this first statement, the rest of the post is inaccurate or just incorrect...
Your prices are out of date by several years...
Apologies if the information I provided is not accurate. I sourced them from my notes taken in March when I used the Southern Off-Peak TravelCard purchased at the manned ticket counter at Gatwick Rail Station for 17.10. I used said TravelCards on two separate occasions, one a weekend, the other a weekday. My Canadian issued contactless bank card did not work when I initially attempted its use. Perhaps, I have become somewhat feebleminded as I've aged, but I found the different trains lines and myriad fare options to be quite confusing. That being said,I'm seeing the "Anytime Single Online Fare" for the Gatwick Express showing up as 17.80 and 32.70 "Anytime Return Online Fare". Are these not accurate, or are there different fares, other than those purchased "Online?" These are the prices currently displayed on the Gatwick Express website. https://www.gatwickexpress.com/tickets/buy-tickets
Many thanks for providing details on the off-peak hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.