Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree by Hilton Schonbrunn, Vienna, Austria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2023, 3:21 am
PeS
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold

This new addition (the first DT in Austria and a former Radisson Blu Park Royal Palace) doesn't have its own thread yet. I will be there in two weeks and booked what appears to be their best room ("King Junior Suite with View and Balcony"), so I will post a trip report.
Meanwhile, I received a sort of welcome letter. Hey, I know that Vienna might be boring, but that boring? 😳😁
the810 likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 3:37 am

I beg to disagree on that last statement ... but I am biased as I live here. I am planning to give this a try as well if HH puts up an attractive promo.
Old May 18, 2023, 4:02 am
PeS
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold
Oh sure, it was just a joke, as Hilton sent an empty mail with "things to do". Been to Vienna many times and love it.
Edit: it's a pity they don't have "Austrian tapas" in the Hilton Vienna Plaza anymore...
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:07 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I will stay there in a couple of days. Hilton upgraded me on the app from a Standard King to a King Junior Suite with Balcony, so a 3 level upgrade. I will post a full review.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:48 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

I have an arrived and I am really disappointed so far. First impression are not really good.
- No signs to find the entrance from the street, it is actually in the park
- There are no easy access electrical plug in the room, they are either at floor level or used by equipment. The previous occupant unplugged the TV so he could charge something
- The room AC is old and was cranked up to 30 degrees
- Old and unpractical furniture
- Two meager pillows on a large king bed

I am going to have a word with the reception on my way out later today, because honestly right now I am impressed but not in a good way.
treppenlaeufer and Zurich like this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:29 am

Meh

Doubletree by Hilton Schonbrunn

1 Review | 0% Recommended

Meh (14 Photos)

I booked this hotel for a leisure stay in Wien. It was a new addition to the Hilton family in the city and an interesting location, not in the center but close to Schonbrunn castle. 

My first impressions after arriving were bad. The stay was not bad in general but I will  tick on "not recommend" on this review, one would need to manage his/her expectations as the hotel has some quirks and downfall. It seems those would be room dependent. The hotel is not new, it was a Radisson before. It was partially renovated, not as in some rooms are and some are not. More as in, they renovated some things and left as it was some others. The result is a mix of old and new.

Check In

Check-in was fine, my upgrade was confirmed (I booked a Standard room and got upgraded to a Junior Suite with balcony), a cookie offered (and refused). The employee was happy to serve and smiling (to be noted because not all staff was like her). 

Room

The room was big and spacious, with floor to ceiling windows on all walls. I choose at OLCI a corner room, which may or may not have been a mistake. You can notice the mix of old and new furniture. For example the chair is old and look out of place, the desk does not look new either (it was stained).

The room had a separate entrance with a walk in closet, a toilet, a bath room. Living room and bed room were separated by a wall. 

If you look closely, you will notice the complete abscence of visible electrical plugs. There are some but not enough and basically, they are used for the appliances : telephone, lamps, TV, coffee maker. To use them at the desk you need to move the TV and unplug something (I unplugged the TV). At the bed they are at floor level behind the nightstand, to access them you need to move the nightstand. As I understand from the staff, not all rooms have that issues. But how would you know which one has plugs at the desk and bed ? 

The bed was a bit soft but OK and you notice there are only two pillows. 

Other issue : the AC. It is old, from the time of the Radisson and do squat, basically. The room was incredibly warm when I entered and I slept with both windows open (in March). 

Next : light controls. There are switch controlling the various lamps in several places, except for the toilet and walking closet, which are controlled by motion detector only. And there is only twp masters, which are beside the bed. These master turn off all lights completely, including the toilet one, and can only be turned on by switching the master on again, which is unintuitive behavior (at all hotels if a master turn off or on, but individual lights can still be turned on). So at night if you need to wake up, you need to turn on the master and everything you had left on will turn on again. 

PXL_20240316_141351295.jpgPXL_20240316_141206003.jpgPXL_20240316_141459988.jpgPXL_20240316_141241622.jpgPXL_20240316_141254063.jpgPXL_20240316_141226586.jpg

Minibar is free, it contains a few drinks.

PXL_20240316_141521671.jpg

The bathroom was nice and modern, but the shower pressure was quite poor. There is a shower behind the bathtube.

PXL_20240316_141234210.jpgPXL_20240316_141236247.jpgPXL_20240316_141222424.jpg

The terrace is large and big, covering the entire room. It has sun protection that can be controlled from the room. The view is towards Schonbrunn but the castle is not really visible.

PXL_20240316_141326205.jpgPXL_20240316_141817160.jpgPXL_20240316_141758238.jpgPXL_20240316_141319874.jpg

Service

I did not find the service completely good. Some staff were very nice, but some others were useless. Special mention for the breakfast staff member who can not tell what is what (to his defence, most of the items are unlabelled, so it is hard to figure out what joghurt is what among 4 choices or the various musli). The person doing my checkout could not be more bothered and did not read me my total or confirm the card to use, just a "You want a receipt ?" (this is a new trend at several hotels I noticed, they do not bother to confirm the final amount anymore). 

Dining

There is a restaurant but it was closed in the evening so ....

Breakfast was good but underwhelming. There was the basic I would expect, but nothing more. Quality was not outstanding either. 

The location is very close to Schonbrunn castle, a good 10 minute walks from the U4 line and close to several tram lines. Overall it is 30 minutes to reach the city center (Stephansdom), and a bit shy of one hour to reach the airport (not using the rippoff that is the CAT). 

Gym

The gym is small, it contains a few multipurposes resistance machines, and the basic mixes for cardio. Notably no peloton bike. 

Overall

The hotel is not really bad but it is not outstanding or even good in general. It is just "meh", it does not feel like a doubletree (a HGI would be a more suitable branding). It seems poorly managed, with a sort of lazyness attitude (not renovating everything, not labelling all foods at breakfast). Some of the staff try to make amend for the shortcoming (I was proposed to change room) but overall it felt short of impress me. 

Meh

Would you like to write a review on the Doubletree by Hilton Schonbrunn?

No, thank you.
Yes
Zurich likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:01 pm

Thanks for the detailed review and pics. A/C would be concerning to me, especially in summer, but honestly, it looks quite nice from the pics. What did you pay in Euros/points, if I may ask?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 11:41 pm

95 EUR/night for a flex rate.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:51 am

That's a really good rate!
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:37 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by COLINDAD
Thanks for the detailed review and pics. A/C would be concerning to me, especially in summer, but honestly, it looks quite nice from the pics. What did you pay in Euros/points, if I may ask?
Agreed, the pictures provide an excellent recommendation.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a really good rate!
Yes, that's very cheap. I bet 99 EUR wouldn't get you into a suite with breakfast and free minibar when it was a Radisson.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:37 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hugolover
Yes, that's very cheap. I bet 99 EUR wouldn't get you into a suite with breakfast and free minibar when it was a Radisson.
Radisson is actually much better with upgrades than Hilton (not sure whether minibar was included back then ).
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Automatic upgrade 3 days out with Radisson? That does add value to the VIP status with its 20 stays requirement.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by the810
Radisson is actually much better with upgrades than Hilton (not sure whether minibar was included back then ).
Yes, but Radisson was much more expensive using cash or points.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but Radisson was much more expensive using cash or points.
As I thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.