Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Here's a recent thread that might be helpful:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462921

After reading that I dont think I will stay there. Sod that, Im not going to waste Ł125 + VAT.

Shame, it would have been nice to stay there the night before, up my night tally for the year etc....oh well.....
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on when you are going, I've seen rates of Ł91.25 internet advanced rate. I'm considering staying there the night before my flight home, since at that rate it makes more sense than using points (it's a Cat 5 property).

OK rooms, very nice lounge.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Hi all,

Anyone ever stayed at the Hilton at Gatwick airport? If so what is it like? As Hilton Gold what are the chances of getting an upgrade on a Sunday night?

Cheers
It's pricey but very convenient when departing LGW in the morning. The service and the lounge are great. I've stayed there numerous times and I will do so again in August.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Worst Hilton property on the planet

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Hi all,

Anyone ever stayed at the Hilton at Gatwick airport? If so what is it like? As Hilton Gold what are the chances of getting an upgrade on a Sunday night?

Cheers

Before I read the other thread, I've stayed there a lot (out of necessity): IMHO, it's the single worst Hilton property on the planet. If you have a choice, avoid it.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
....IMHO, it's the single worst Hilton property on the planet. If you have a choice, avoid it.
You must not have stayed in the new wing of the hotel?

The new wing is very nice, new, clean, etc. Nothing to complain about! Perhaps the old wing is terrible, but I have a completely different opinion of the place.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Agreed! I stayed in the new wing in October and it was very nice. I will stay there again this year. I got upgraded on a Sat night to the Executive floor as a Gold. A little pricey but very convienent.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:24 pm

I have stayed there quite a number of times over the past 4 or 5 years, mostly the night before departure back to IAH on Continental. I have always stayed in the new wing (started out as Gold back when), and it is quite nice--in fact I would say it is nicer than a lot of the London hotels. And pricewise, in comparison to the City hotels, it was usually a bargain at that.

The old section is just that--old. It is generally always pretty crowded, but I'm only there one night. Convenience is the key for me.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, not!

Originally Posted by elbidercni
You must not have stayed in the new wing of the hotel?

The new wing is very nice, new, clean, etc. Nothing to complain about! Perhaps the old wing is terrible, but I have a completely different opinion of the place.

I have always stayed in the new wing.

The Hilton Gatwick is a bit of a comedy of errors. I have sat and chatted with a manager who leveled with me and told me that there is a high staff turnover. I now have very low expectations of the hotel, so am seldom disappointed.

The restaurant opposite reception is a bit of a joke. The service there is bad--slow and no guarantee that I'll get the correct order. The bar outside the restaurant tends to be slow. It seems to take them ages to change a keg--I've seen that on three separate occasions. The restaurant on the lower level seems pretty good.

The problem I have had in the room involves theft. Someone entered the room and stole some items. At the time the hotel made a big deal of it: they sent someone over and told me that they could figure out which card was used to enter the room. I think they figured it out, but I never heard from the hotel again--I did call to see if they had recovered anything--nothing doing.

I agree that the new wing is very nice, but my gripe is with the service. The Hilton Gatwick doesn't make the grade. It's poor. I too stay there out of necessity.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 7:59 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Can't speak to other experiences, for me - new wing, exec lounge (hostess too), all great. Of course, location - perfect. Course I used a 5/10/15 free stay, so having $0 on my portfolio helped too. On a side note, ended up with 20 HH points (and a stay credit). I still don't know to this day why I earned points. I didn't charge one thing during my stay.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Hi all,

Any tips for a Gold HHonors stopping there shortly. Whilst realising any upgrades etc are subject to availability, should I try checking in at the exec lounge, ask at HHonors check in, or just hold my breath..... Booked by www so they should be aware of my humble status! If Exec room not available, could I still get lounge access (not too bothered about an exec room to be honest!)

Cheers.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:21 am

Talking Hilton Gatwick Airport - Exec Lounge

Just stayed at the above, checked in at 7.15pm and was told they were just over half way through their happy hour!

"What's that?"
"Oh, between 6pm and 8pm, our alchoholic drinks and nibbles are free."

Unpacked and got to the lounge at 7.30pm, making straight to the counter to attempt to pour a drink, I was immediately apprehended by a polite but assertive young lady who darted out to me like a fired missile, stating that it was waitress service only.
This is a first for me at any Hilton lounge, having to sit attentively to get a drink and a bite to eat, considering I had only about 20mins left the night got off to a poor start.
I know the lounge is an "add on," but couldn't help feeling the Gatwick H. could do better.
The Diamond ain't what it used to be!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite BA Blue
We stayed here last week and it is strictly waiter service. However the service was pretty good and they made us cocktails and brought plenty of nibbles and canapes.

I have also encountered similar service at LHR Hilton and Belfast Hilton. Though not quite as vigourously enforced.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience is that the Hilton Gatwick is the single worst property in the chain. I spoke to a manager at length about why I experienced consistent, poor service. (FYI: he was leaving for another hotel). Well, I discovered that there is high turnover of employees at the hotel. It seems that they're in the business of training people to work elsewhere.

If you don't like the service in the lounge, it's frankly a lot worse in the lobby bar and ground floor restaurant. The downstairs restaurant is better.

I have discovered, if I want a meal, I need to go back to the terminal and take the train to the North Terminal. The Meridien (I think it still is a Meridien) gives much better service.

Actually, now that I am with Starwood, I think I will switch to the Meridien. I think it's part of the chain!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
My experience is that the Hilton Gatwick is the single worst property in the chain. I spoke to a manager at length about why I experienced consistent, poor service. (FYI: he was leaving for another hotel). Well, I discovered that there is high turnover of employees at the hotel. It seems that they're in the business of training people to work elsewhere.

If you don't like the service in the lounge, it's frankly a lot worse in the lobby bar and ground floor restaurant. The downstairs restaurant is better.

I have discovered, if I want a meal, I need to go back to the terminal and take the train to the North Terminal. The Meridien (I think it still is a Meridien) gives much better service.

Actually, now that I am with Starwood, I think I will switch to the Meridien. I think it's part of the chain!
Hi,

Actually the former Le Meridien at LGW North was sold sometime ago to Sofitel ( so no SPG points)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Actually the former Le Meridien at LGW North was sold sometime ago to Sofitel ( so no SPG points)

Regards

TBS
I thought it had changed hands: I didn't know if it moved from Meridien or away from it to something else!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.