Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2003, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wandering Lion:
Only the Hilton and the Le Meridien are 'walkers' from the airport terminal.</font>
Sorry to ask this on the Hilton forum, but it is on-topic: Does anyone have any experience with the Le Meridien at Gatwick? There's no other place to ask this and I searched the "other hotels" forum. Obviously I would prefer the Hilton, but it's pricing less than half of the Hilton's rates for dates I'm looking at. Is it that much worse a hotel? Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:18 am

Programs: AA MM Gold Hilton HHonors
London Hilton Gatwick-Spring 2005 Rates

Currently checking rates for May of 2005. Rates are out of sight. When do better spring rates appear? Is this hotel always cat 5 if using awards?
Any info appreciated.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea what their outrageous rates are (you did not say) but you wont get any bargains booking 9-10 months in advance. I suggest relax and wait a while to book bargains. I have found in general better rates appear 1-3 months in advance if bookings are poor.

MisterNice
Old Aug 23, 2004, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
just booked 2 nights for two trips departing early am.....lowest rate was 120GBP which required full payment now, or 130GBP for standard booking, I tool the latter just in case. This is for 6th Sept and 30th Sept.

I dont think their fees vary at all, the le Meridian is always pretty much the same. I am new to UK hilton so have no history on their prices.

Strikes me that airport hotels have a pretty steady trade throughout the year and probably dont discount too much.....
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:19 pm

Keep checking the Hilton website. Even Hilton airport hotels have terrific deals. I stayed at the London Hilton Heathrow Hotel in June for the astounding deal of 90 G.B.P. per night, which included full dinner for two and the breakfast buffet for two in the morning. This rate did require a two night stay, but for 180 G.B.P., it was an astounding bargain, given the fact that the Heathrow Hilton is a first-rate property, attached to T4.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 6:27 am

Since you can very predictably and consistently get the Gatwick Le Meridien on PL for $74+taxes (total about $94) per night, the prices being charged there are not very indicative of the type of business they get. They do get a fair amount of airline business but again closer to PL prices for the airline.

No amount of FF benefits or other rationalizations can justify paying the asking rates at these hotels unless there is no other choice.

But then it is because some people do pay 100GBP+/night, that I am able to benefit with PL prices, so I probably should keep my mouth shut.

Last edited by venk; Aug 24, 2004 at 6:42 am
Old Aug 24, 2004, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by cressers
just booked 2 nights for two trips departing early am.....lowest rate was 120GBP which required full payment now, or 130GBP for standard booking, I tool the latter just in case. This is for 6th Sept and 30th Sept.
The Gatwick Travel Inn looks like a two minute walk, albeit open air with a road to cross, from the North terminal (the BA one) when I shoot past it on the monorail. Rooms are £50 or £53 depending on day. www.travelinn.co.uk

The review on Tripadvisor says its great if you can manage your luggage yourselves and walk to the terminal but a pain if you have so much that you need to take the shuttle bus because of the loop it takes.

Last edited by RJB; Aug 24, 2004 at 6:42 am
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by RJB
The Gatwick Travel Inn looks like a two minute walk, albeit open air with a road to cross, from the North terminal (the BA one) when I shoot past it on the monorail. Rooms are £50 or £53 depending on day. www.travelinn.co.uk

The review on Tripadvisor says its great if you can manage your luggage yourselves and walk to the terminal but a pain if you have so much that you need to take the shuttle bus because of the loop it takes.
Thanks! The trouble is we have corporate agreed hotels we HAVE to use, unless there is not one available in the area.

In this case I booked outside our system myself becasue it comes up cheaper this way, its *SUCH* a fantastic negotiated rate we get.....that i can go to the website and get it cheaper....

I dont often do this as our bookings are usually more flexible and you dont have to worry about paying if you dont turn up. I think the rates were cheaper on the site because no breakfast.

I use priceline all the time for personal travel, but I need a degree of flexibility in my arangements which it does not allow for.

Last edited by cressers; Aug 24, 2004 at 10:54 am
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by cressers
I use priceline all the time for personal travel, but I need a degree of flexibility in my arangements which it does not allow for.
I understand. However, I have managed to be flexible even on personal travel by booking a paid/award stay early on to guarantee a room (and keeping an eye for any price drops) and trying PL when I get definite about the need. Of course, this doesn't work if you need this flexibility close to the day of stay.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We got a Net only rate at the Hilton Gatwick, and booked only a month or two in advance. 90 GBP. We didn't get offered dinner, but as a Diamond we got a nice room and access to a great lounge for drinks at night and a good breakfast before leaving.

It is very convenient to the terminal, and trollys are available to schlepp the luggage around.

All in all, a nice experience
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:42 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Great stay at Gatwick

Had a great stay as Diamond at Gatwick. First, was waiting to check-in at the Diamond area (didn't go directly to Lounge, but I now understand that Diamonds can check in there). Was waiting behind someone. An agent down the line motioned us to come down there, but didn't, having been "burned" by non-Honors agents checking us in at other places. Got a very nice room on the 4th floor, in the new wing. The Executive Lounge was one of the best. Great service, and they were great about serving you at your chairs with drinks, snacks, etc. Best lounge visit in a long time.
One word of caution. This may not be a place you want to get a walk-up room; rates were almost out of sight for the basic rooms.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:24 pm

Programs: Onepass Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Worldperks, AAdvantage
Hilton Gatwick early check in/showers in the health club

We will be in London in June on a long layover. Our flight gets into Gatwick at 6:55 in the morning and we will not leave the next day until 6:40 AM. We would like to stay at the Hilton Gatwick. We really want somehwere to throw our bags for the day while we go out and do some sightseeing. However, it would be noce to take a shower before we go into the city. Does anyone know if you can get an early check in or if the Health Club at the hotel has Shower facilites? Thanks for any replys!

Last edited by leejeffrey; Jan 18, 2005 at 5:38 pm
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:02 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have used the Hilton Gatwick a few times on the odd occasion I fly out from LGW. I actually prefer it to the LHR hilton, although it is not as convienient for my BA flights as they fly fom the north Terminal. It has better leisure facilities, and I have always found the staff friendly. The leisure facilities do have a separate shower area. I would suggest you ask reception if you can leave your bags, (they have a place for early arrivals) and ask if you can use the Leisure centre facilities. I have never had a problem, just be polite. I will be asking them again on 18/2 out bound to TPA on 19th & 6/3 on my early return from TPA.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 1:18 pm

Hilton Gatwick Airport

So, we take two weeks in the Hilton Rhodes Resort, fantastic and fly back late to Gatwick and stay, on points at the above hotel.

Am a diamond member and asked for an upgrade, " sorry hotel full, but you will have access to the executive lounge," ok fine!

The room was dingy and so small, no goodies nothing. Ok, too tired to even think about it. We made our way up to the exec lounge, I've visited most UK Hiltons and several in Europe but never been in a exec lounge where you have to wait to be served drinks i.e. not self service. The exec staff are also checking people in, so a lapse can occur if it is busy!

Hey! Where are the "nibbles," - "sorry sir, just peanuts and crisps."

"Ok, can I order a sandwich, which I will pay for, from room service to be sent up to the exec lounge, I don't fancy a full meal"

"No sir, yoyu will have to eat the sandwich from your room and come back up after you have eaten it."

Unbeleivable, but wait! After we got back to our room, we checked the empty mini bar and to our amusement, the room hadn't been cleaned properly and there was four, Asda Wallmart steak pies left from a previous guest. I left them for the General Manager on checking out the next day, with a few meaty comments.

Avoid this hotel like you would the plague!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry about your experience, but we stayed there once (to make an early flight) and our experience was much better. Fabulous exec lounge, plenty of food, drink, munchies, etc. Delicious breakfast, and table-served, no less!

Room was fine (and clean). Downstairs bar/ lounge was pretty pricy, so we wandered through Gatwick Village and plenty of places to eat/drink/smoke at reasonable prices.

I'd go back again, but apparently you wouldn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.