Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:27 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Convenient for South terminal, friendly staff

Hilton London Gatwick Airport

Map| 5 Reviews | 80% Recommended

South Terminal Gatwick Airport Gatwick, GB RH6 0LL

Convenient for South terminal, friendly staff (10 Photos)

This is my 2nd stay at this property (first stay was about 2 years ago).  I was staying here for 1 night before going down to London. 

The property is situated on the side of the South Terminal and it takes about 10-20 mins walk upon exiting the arrivals door.  However do becareful of the signage to the hotel, even I've been here before, I followed the path towards the North-South shuttle train and ended up going to the North terminal before returning to the South.  

At the junction to the train and further on, you have to walk slightly further and there is again a sign pointing towards the hotel.  Walking to the hotel basically passes through the car park.

I guess for guests wanting to save some money, might use this as their base hotel as there is the Gatwick express and other local trains that does run into central London (journey time is ~30-45 mins).  Parking is available but on the expensive side (as expected for an airport property)

Hil_hallway.jpg

Check In

I had done an online check-in, however since the hotel has no digital key facility, I still had to collect my keycard at the front desk.  Arriving night time, the front desk was actually very busy with lots of guests checking in.  I used the Elite line which was empty and staff seems well trained as I was actually called by the next available staff (sending back the other guests to wait - felt bad, but guess sometimes it's good to have staff recognize Elite benefits).

I was helped by a friendly and warm associate who noticed I checked-in online.  I was also asked if I wanted to keep the selected room online or an upgraded room (this is quite a frequent disadvantage of checking in via the app - even it promises to upgrade the room if available, it nearly never happens).  I was upgraded to a King room on the Executive Floor in the newer building.  I was given two glass bottles of water (was asked for my choice of sparkling or still) and information on breakfast and lounge.

All in all a very good check-in experience which made me feel welcome and appreciated.

Hil_mainLobby.jpg

Room

The room was in the newer wing (in reality this wing has been quite old too, but compared to the original building, it is newer).  My last stay was also in this wing. 

Room size was ok, sufficient for 2 and luggages without any issue.  From visual point of view, the furnishing was ok, did not look too outdated.  There was the usual tea/coffee making facilities, an emptied minibar (much appreciated) and a working desk.  There was also a chair and side table.  However all plugs were of UK type plugs with no international plugs available except for 1 outlet which was for US type plugs - however this did not seem to function.  

The TV was on the smaller side and of an older generation (still flat screen), as reaction was quite slow.  The usual selection of local and internation channels were available.  Internet speed in the room was good (was given a special login code - which I suspect is of premium speed for elite members?).

Bathroom size was ok with a walk in shower and a bathtub.  Water pressure and temperature was ok (though it did take slightly longer than usual for the water to warm up).  The toiletries provided was the usual Crabtree and Evelyn product.  

Temperature control in the room was ok, although the fan speed was on the higher side if you switched to the max - sounded like some industrial turbine, however when set to low speed, the temperature in the room was still as programmed.  The only small complain here would be the bed - it was very creaky - the mattrass itself seemed ok, however with every turn, the bed will creak (and I am not a heavy person).  

Noise isolation in the room was good - did not hear too much air traffic noise nor noise from the hallway.  However the view from the room was to another building, so not much of a view.

Hil_Bath1.jpgHil_Bath2.jpg2_Hil_bed1.jpg

Dining

I had breakfast at the on-site restaurant which is one floor down from the front desk.  My last stay here I did not have the time for it, so it was my first time.  Was warmly greeted by the staff and brought to my table.  The place was busy, but I noticed that the staff were very efficient and good in clearing plates and tables.  

Spread was actually quite good, the usual mix of continental and English breakfast items.  The quality of the items was good.  

All in all, the breakfast experience was good.

Hi_breakfast3.jpgHil_breakfas2.jpg1_Hil_breakfast.jpg

Service

All in all, the interaction with the different associates from the different departments at the property was good - friendly and warm.  

Overall

In general, the stay was pleasant and worth the value - except for the issue of the creaking bed.  This time around I did not get a chance to visit the Executive Lounge (which I did the last round).  Had planned to arrive on time for the lounge but due to a flight delay with BA, did not make it on time before the evening canape session ended.  For those who have not stayed here before, they do have a fish tank before entering the lounge.

For me I would not mind returning to this property if the price is right.  

For those looking for a true newer property, than the Hampton Inn at the North terminal would be better, although it is not a full service hotel and prices can at times be more expensive.  For me, this property would be my first choice with the right price.

Hil_grounds.jpgHil_hallway2.jpg

Convenient for South terminal, friendly staff

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton London Gatwick Airport?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I have probably had around 60 nights at this property over the last 10 years and have another stay coming up in April.

I do qualify for the government rate and the government rate says that there is

COMM 20GBP per person Garden Buffet menu .

Weirdly enough I have never had anything other than breakfast and maybe room service a few times here .

Is the buffet at the restaurant any good or is it better to stick to my usual plan of going to one of the landside restaurants at the terminal?

Does the COMM 20GBP mean a concessionary rate or is it included in the room rate ?

The funny thing is that I have stayed here many times on the government rate but this is the first time I have seen the garden buffet note on my rate details.
aztimm likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Stayed on Tuesday and had a bit of a lie in. Breakfast in the lounge now finishes at 09:00 - no problem as the restaurant was fine, just a bit longer walk
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Stayed here for a night prior to a flight last weekend. My first stay, but based on the photos posted back at the end of 2019 the hotel has been totally refurbished including all the public areas. I'm guessing they were probably closed for a good portion of lockdown/travel restrictions so had a good chance to get the improvements done.

The hotel is located at the South Terminal and is within walking distance of the train station and the shuttle to the North Terminal.

Paid around £65 for the night via a BRG claim. Booked a Double Room and upgraded to a King Executive Room the day before. Checked in online but had to stop by the desk as there's no digital key access here. Was given a welcome letter and also vouchers for the bar in lieu of the lounge being closed.

The room was fairly large and had a view of an exterior courtyard. As previously mentioned this hotel has been recently refurbished and so had the room and bathroom. The bed was comfortable, the AC worked well and water pressure in the shower was good.

Was staying with my OH and were given x2 vouchers for a drink and appetiser in the lobby bar. Although we actually had x2 drinks and appetisers PER voucher but that might have been an "accident" in our favour.

​​​Breakfast was served in the restaurant downstairs in the lobby and was an assisted buffet. It was fairly standard in selection and quality.

Overall it seems the refurbishment has done an excellent job in bringing the decor of this hotel into this century. A solid choice for Gatwick stays and usually seems to be only marginally more expensive than the Hampton Inn located at the North Terminal. Would stay again.

​​​​
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Schwann
Stayed here for a night prior to a flight last weekend. My first stay, but based on the photos posted back at the end of 2019 the hotel has been totally refurbished including all the public areas.
​​​​
Certainly looks that way from all your pictures. A very welcome development. Just need BA short haul back at Gatwick and operating from south terminal!
Schwann and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Is the Exec Lounge still in use or has that gone? The refurb is definitely good news. Look forward to seeing it.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Is the Exec Lounge still in use or has that gone? The refurb is definitely good news. Look forward to seeing it.
Hi,

Website suggests it is temporarily not available.
Whether that means it is not coming back or it might do so if traffic volumes pick up is a good question?

Regards
Tbs
wizla and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:01 pm

Has anybody been recently and heard anything regarding the lounge opening? We have a stay in just over a week coming up!

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2022, 4:39 pm
cjd

Anybody used the adjacent Europarks car park recently? In the past, I have used Hilton Park and Stay rates but these do not appear to be available now. The website also states that car parking is not available at the hotel. It was very convenient being able to park at the hotel and also get points on parking.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:18 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
The Ace parking 8 and 15 day options are still available on the website every day in the future except tonight. I just picked 5 random dates into the spring including tomorrow night and the parking rate is still there. I was worried as I have a parking-included booking in June but both the usual parking packages are available - just not tonight. I assume that is because there is not enough time to co-ordinate with the third party valet parking provider.

treppenlaeufer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:38 am
cjd

Originally Posted by andimilk
The Ace parking 8 and 15 day options are still available on the website every day in the future except tonight. I just picked 5 random dates into the spring including tomorrow night and the parking rate is still there. I was worried as I have a parking-included booking in June but both the usual parking packages are available - just not tonight. I assume that is because there is not enough time to co-ordinate with the third party valet parking provider.

i saw that option available and this still gives points for parking. However, I much preferred the self park option adjacent to the hotel with Europarks. Never all that keen on handing car and keys over to a complete stranger after hearing horrendous stories of cars being parked in laybys for 2 weeks!!
wizla likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by cjd
i saw that option available and this still gives points for parking. However, I much preferred the self park option adjacent to the hotel with Europarks. Never all that keen on handing car and keys over to a complete stranger after hearing horrendous stories of cars being parked in laybys for 2 weeks!!
Yep I agree, whilst I like the concept of valet parking I’m nervous about it too……I remember a few years back on the Thursday I picked up my new Mercedes, Friday I drove it to London and stayed at the Waldorf, I pull up outside, the concierge comes across, I sign a piece of paper, hand him my keys and off to reception I go.
When I got to my room I then realised that could have been any guy in a top hat and suit !….. I rushed down to the concierge desk and the huge relief of seeing him standing behind there!
cjd likes this.

Last edited by wizla; Jan 27, 2022 at 10:10 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:43 pm
cjd

Rang the hotel this afternoon and they informed me that the adjacent Europarks car park which the hotel used previously is now closed.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
I too have had some up and down experiences with Valet parking, although all of the bad experiences have been some of the now-defunct private operators at LHR T5 (although the official Heathrow parking option has always been excellent). I have always had good experiences with Ace at LGW plus they have a decent trust pilot review online.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
I’ve noticed that Executive rooms seem to be sold out on every night I look to book. Assume they have been taken off sale as the lounge is closed? Anyone have any info?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.