Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Old Oct 30, 2002, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sylvest941:
However, there are hourly "regular" trains (i.e. cheaper, but stopping at intermediate stations) during all night</font>
Many of the "regular" trains take only five more minutes into Victoria, as well as being cheaper. If you just missed a Gatwick Express departure, check their schedule rather than automatically waiting for the next GE.
Old Oct 31, 2002, 4:59 am

London Gatwick Hilton

Anyone have any comments/tips on staying at the Hilton at London Gatwick? How are the upgraded rooms? Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2002, 8:39 pm

Hilton London Gatwick

Please share any experiences you have had at the Hilton London Gatwick. How is the food? What is the least expensive way into London? Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2003, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hilton London Gatwick Airport Trip Reports and Reviews

Hi,

After a little bit of a nightmare ground service from bmi at LHR following on from a 2.25hour delay flight from EDI I arrived at the LGW Hilton by taxi around midnight.
I was automatically upgraded to the Executive room in the new wing ( 4th floor).
After wandering around a few cornes I got to the room.
The room itself was large, clean and comfortable.
The bathroom was large , clean and nicely decorated with a separate bath and shower. They also had nice smelling sticks that you threw into the bath which gave of a very nice aroma.
Uniquely amongst the UK hiltons there was Moulton Brown bathroom products ( shampoo ,condtioner soap).
A bathrobe( very fluffy- you can buy the bathrobe for around 30)) and slippers were also provided
The room also has a large fruit plate (wrapped in plastic) and two bottles of water in the bathroom.
A wake up call could be set on the TV as well as by phone.
The bed itself was comfortable and the room was quiet.
The Executive lounge was large and had a good continental breakfast selection.
The hotel gym and pool looked large but as I had an earlish flight and it did not open until 8am i skipped the pool.
I was able to check out at the lounge before heading to the South Terminal to check in.

Overall while a little expensive ( 130 GBP inc VAT) the room was of a very high standard and would recommend this hotel ( esp the newer room and executive rooms)

Regards
TBS
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:15 am

Had pretty much the same experience last year, with room upgrade and lounge access although my rate included the buffet breakfast downstairs - excellent! The proximity to South Terminal is hard to beat -reasonably priced snacks available at the airport and hotel check-out to airport check-in counter in less than 10 minutes. This is now my hotel of choice for an early a.m. departure from LGW.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 8:00 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
I am certain that it would be helpful and appreciated if you could also share your experiences on the London Hilton Summary thread.

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi kokonutz,

I have just posted it in the Summary thread as requested.

Thanks

Regards
TBS
Old Apr 24, 2003, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Another stay here on Thursday 17th April.

There was a bit of a queue at Registration so I headed straight up to the Lounge to check in.
I was given 7409 in the new wing (automatically upgraded to the excecutive floor).
Room similar to my previous post except no fruit plate.
Lounge had soft drinks ,fruit ,coffee and a pay bar.
At breakfast a good continental selection wasoffered in the lounge ( toast and tea/coffee provided upon request by the staff) and checked out at the lounge.
Pool is quite large going from 3ft to around 6ft deep but water was cool in the morning. They did have a sign up saying that the pool was several degrees cooler than normal due to a temporary heating fault.
Mixed sauna and spa available through a separate exit from the changing rooms.

Overall a very good overnight stay.

Regards
TBS
Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton at LGW

We're flying out on 12/29, so I wanted to be near the airport rather than rushing from town to make a late morning flight.

As a Diamond, what sort of things should I be looking for? Room upgrade? Lounge access?
Other threads seem to be saying that they treat you right at this property.

I booked with the non-refundable rate. Should that make any difference?

The website says it's 1.6 miles from the airport, but others indicate you can walk from the hotel to check-in. True?

As usual, thanks in advance for the great info I get on this board,
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can easily walk to it indoors via the south terminal by following the "hotel" signs. The rooms are so-so and quiet, but the staffed exec lounge is really nice with complientary top shelf booze and top shelf hors d vours etc. IMHO it is probably the best HH exec lounge in London. And they will grant access to HH Diamonds.

MisterNice

[This message has been edited by MisterNice (edited 11-07-2003).]
Old Nov 9, 2003, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Even as a HH Gold I have checked in at the lounge, been upgraded to the Executive rooms in the new wing ( nice for an airport hotel ) and lounge access which is very good as mentioned above.
About a five minute walk to the South Terminal checkin area undercover.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 10, 2003, 2:24 pm

I think that this hotel does a great job for an airport hotel in the U.K. And that is not an ironic statement, even tho' it may sound like it!

The signage from the airport terminal could be a little better, but keep you eyes up and you will be fine. The newer rooms are, IMHO, really good with a/c that works well, good lighting and great bathrooms.

The lounge, as others have said in v. good, with 3 terminals for internet access and great staff. One great advantage is the ability to go check in, them come back to your room, shower, have breakfast and get to the gate feeling like a human.

For what it's worth, I just stayed at the Gatwick Renaissance and with the shuttle bus and other nonsense it was not worth the $30 savings over Hilton rates. Only the Hilton and the Le Meridien are 'walkers' from the airport terminal.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 2:26 pm

Hey Big - My guess based on your post is that you will be taking the train down the night before you leave. From the station, you have to exit the station into the S. Terminal, turn sharp left, and then left again to get to the hotel. For part of this you are actually heading away from the hotel - Might take about 5 - 6 minutes walking.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA GfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wandering Lion:
The signage from the airport terminal could be a little better, but keep you eyes up and you will be fine.</font>
That's the understatement of the week. I stayed at this hotel two nights ago after a late-night flight into LGW. My travel companion and I were positively mystified by the myriad, poorly marked twists and turns required to get from the north terminal to the hotel. Oy. We finally made it after what seemed like miles of walking (although I will say that the walk was much more pleasant than the one guests have to endure to get from LHR T4 to the Hilton there).

The hotel was a lot nicer than LHR's Hilton, too. We got a room in the new wing--again, another six miles from the reception desk, but a nice room with a very nice bathroom. The place was good and quiet.

One annoying detail was that despite my reminding the desk clerk during check-in that we needed a room with two beds, we walked the aforementioned six miles to our room to discover that she had given us a room with one bed. Upon calling back to the desk to fix this, it took about 40 rings for her to pick up. I've had problems like this before when checking in at a late hour (it was just after midnight). Seems like the brand-new trainees are all given that shift.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 8:22 am

As a general note, front desk service and speed at all U.K. hotels seems to be a bit sub-par. No 'here's your key - on your way' 30 second check-ins here. Arriving late meant that lounge check in was not an option for you - that would have made life easier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.