Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
Refurb/Refresh!

Has anyone heard about a possible refresh of rooms at this property, only I was staying there the week before christmas and I was unofficially informed by an F&B Manager that they were looking at doing refurbishments in 2017.

Was I misinformed or can someone else verify? The Exec rooms really need sprucing up into a more, well, 2020 decor, in my opinion!! (Not a big fan of that pine wood lobby flooring!) Especially as BA customers must be inclined to use this hotel more so going forward.

(Which makes me wonder how the Sofitel is doing now BA has moved, but thats for a different thread and discussion!)
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:59 pm

Well-stocked lounge tonight in terms of evening canapes (i.e. more than just a soup). Lounge offering seemed better than many of the UK properties outside of the big central London properties. Decent wine, spirits, beers available. Very friendly staff in the lounge, at check-in, and when writing to them in advance. Would definitely stay again and this property might encourage heading to the airport the night before rather than the morning of!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Well-stocked lounge tonight in terms of evening canapes (i.e. more than just a soup). Lounge offering seemed better than many of the UK properties outside of the big central London properties. Decent wine, spirits, beers available. Very friendly staff in the lounge, at check-in, and when writing to them in advance. Would definitely stay again and this property might encourage heading to the airport the night before rather than the morning of!
Can you tell me if they serve afternoon tea in the lounge please, scones, sandwich, that sort of thing? Trying to work out if its worth upgrading. Thank you.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:03 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Dax1956
Can you tell me if they serve afternoon tea in the lounge please, scones, sandwich, that sort of thing? Trying to work out if its worth upgrading. Thank you.
I covered this in my review of the hotel (which you can find in post 248 of this thread).

Afternoon tea is available from 2 to 5:30pm. There was a selection of refreshments (including scones with clotted cream, pastries, crisps, cookies peanuts). Unfortunately, the quality was quite disappointing (especially the chocolate chip cookies – I don’t think I’ve ever had such crunchy cookies!).
There weren't any sandwiches.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
I'be been there early March last time., Afternoon tea was very basic. No sandwiches. Scones, a kind of flapjacks, chocolate biscuits and some crisps/nuts.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:37 am

Didn't arrive in time for afternoon tea, alas. Early evening arrival, early morning departure. I think others provided datapoints though!
Old May 6, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Transportation to Hilton GBR

I will be arriving LHR and going to the Hilton GBR.
Does Uber operate between these two locations?
Are there any decent local restaurants in the area outside the Hilton GBR?
Old May 6, 2017, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 360guy
I will be arriving LHR and going to the Hilton GBR.
Does Uber operate between these two locations?
Are there any decent local restaurants in the area outside the Hilton GBR?
Uber does operate between these locations, however the National Express coach service will be cheaper and take about the same time. In the British Airways forum Dashboard there is a fairly detailed thread on how to connect between these locations, there are about a dozen options ranging from Ł5 to Ł100.

In the immediate area, no, there isn't really a decent restaurant (OK depends on definition) however the airport is an easy covered walk away, and the bar (by reception) and the restaurant (down a level) in the Hilton itself is surprisingly popular and is often very busy. South Terminal LGW has a lot more chain options. There are more superior options a taxi ride away from the airport, or East Croydon is a fast train ride away.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
I suppose your destination is Hilton Gatwick (LGW). In that case from Heathrow-LHR you can take the National Express bus that runs regularly and will drop you off at Gatwick South (approx 1 hour and half), walking distance to the Hilton. Taxi and Uber are also available, but you won't save much time.
There are no local restaurant walking distance as the hotel is at the airport adjacent a car park. I buy something in the airport or I use the Hotel's bar or restaurant when staying there.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Uber does operate between these locations, however the National Express coach service will be cheaper and take about the same time. In the British Airways forum Dashboard there is a fairly detailed thread on how to connect between these locations, there are about a dozen options ranging from Ł5 to Ł100.

In the immediate area, no, there isn't really a decent restaurant (OK depends on definition) however the airport is an easy covered walk away, and the bar (by reception) and the restaurant (down a level) in the Hilton itself is surprisingly popular and is often very busy. South Terminal LGW has a lot more chain options. There are more superior options a taxi ride away from the airport, or East Croydon is a fast train ride away.
Thank you
Old May 6, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

CWS is too modest to post there link himself, so here it is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ial-guide.html
Old May 24, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Hi, can anyone tell me if the Evening drinks in the executive lounge are self serve, or are they still served to you by the staff?
Thank you.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Hi, can anyone tell me if the Evening drinks in the executive lounge are self serve, or are they still served to you by the staff?
Thank you.
Self serve last time I was there.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I have a Norwegian flight at 0800 on a Sunday morning. I don't have any cards for lounge access at the airport.

Apparently restaurant breakfast starts at 0530 according to an earlier post, anyone confirm? I guess as an airport hotel they won't start later on Sundays as is usual with other UK hotels?

To maximise sleep, would it make sense to go to the airport at 0600 to check bags before coming back to the hotel for breakfast, or should I just get to breakfast at 0530 and try to eat quickly (bag drop would close at 0715 but not sure of queues)?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Diamond
Hi

Breakfast does indeed start from 0530, it's the usual Hilton self service. They do offer a quick 'grab and go' (pastries and a coffee).

If it were me, i'd check in the bags the night before if you can and have a more relaxed start, or as you suggest you could check in the bags as soon as bag drop opens, go back and have breakfast, etc.

There is nothing worse than having breakfast with one eye on the clock!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.