Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}

Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
As a Diamond I have always received an Executive room in the new wing of the hotel. These have always been allocated between 72 and 24 hours prior to arrival.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by Skimanant
What do you think are the chances here of a pre -arrival Diamond upgrade>
I have always been upgraded pre arrival at this property even when Gold ^
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
We stayed in a triple room two weeks ago; Its a bit of a walk to get to fthrough a multistorey carpark. check in was fine upgraded to an exec room; new wing smallish size but quiet and fine. A very very long walk from reception. the planes flew very close and were a bit noisey but not bad. the executive lounge was ok ; did get busy but they never ran out of stuff. morning breakfast was ok if basic and they would not get us any porridge. Not a bad stay.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
Stayed here for one night after a late flight into Gatwick with family, two rooms. Had read reports about the hotel here and on tripadvisor Asked for two upgraded rooms in the new wing on the basis of these reports, and as I am a Diamond Hilton member. Received two upgraded rooms. Was very happy with them, they were modern, super clean, well equipped. Did not received a diamond amenity, but did receive free breakfasts, as is standard for Diamonds. Breakfast was of good quality. The executive lounge was closed for Christmas so we had it in the restaurant. Our stay was very short, checking in late and checking out early, but overall, everything was smooth and we had a decent pre-paid price. I would definitely stay here again. Thanks, as usual, to wonderful flyertalk for alerting me to ask for the new wing and the updated rooms!

Last edited by yaromac; Dec 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm Reason: mention tripadvisor
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:23 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Stayed here for 1 night sat 26th oct as part of a mattress run to achieve diamond status..........upgraded to exec from std room, room was nice.....not a lot to say really......POSITIVES- nice lounge ( great offerings and atmosphere) drinks and canapes served until 9pm!.......breakfast in restaurant was good .........NEGATIVES - room a long way from reception and exec lounge (7201).......expensive car park (21 with hilton discount)
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:03 am

I booked a room at the LGW Hilton and it was disgusting. I arrived at 1pm and immediately left the hotel for the day. I was running late due to a delayed flight. I returned around 10pm and it was only then that I took a look at the room. It was dreadful. I raised my concerns with the front desk who offered to move me to an exec room however I was just about to go to bed and I planned to check out around 7.45am. I received an email from the DM a few hours after check out stating he had refunded my stay.

I've sent the photos of the room to the DM.

Here's a link to the photos of the room

https://picasaweb.google.com/1008024...eat=directlink

My comments by email to the hotel

<snip> - repeat of above paragraphs

1. Paint missing and damage to bathroom door
2. Rusted bathroom door hinges
3. Mould on bathroom floor
4. Paint missing and damage to bath panel
5. Paint missing on wardrobe shelf
6. Presumably part of a condom wrapper on the floor
7. Large amount of dust on sockets and skirting
8. Plaster missing from wall near window
9. Damaged lamp stand
10. Mould in sink overflow and plug hole
11. Mould on bathroom grout
12. Bathroom sealant placed over the top of original mouldy sealant
13. Multiple holes in duvet cover
14. Wobbly table which was coming apart. Partially rectified by using in room dining and guest information to steady it
15. Dirt / scuffs on paintwork
16. Dust on the bottle opener attached to doorframe in bathroom
17. Dust on bathroom wall lights
18. Yellowed shower curtain hooks
19. Yellowed bathroom extractor fan

My company has held meetings at the hotel business suite earlier this year and the public areas / meeting rooms did not prepare me for the poor standard of guest accommodation that I encountered.

It is quite clear that the hotel has budgeted and planned for the refurbishment programme that is currently underway and as a result rooms have been allowed to deteriorate over a very, very long period. The standard of the room has clearly been neglected for a long period of time. Given the condition of the room it is clearly not a one off event. This is an example of poor maintenance and poor housekeeping over an extended period of time. It would seem that the room has never had a deep clean. I would find it hard to believe that I am the first occupant to have informed the front desk about the condition of this room.

I have three overnight stays at the airport planned during January, along with one in April. There are potentially additional nights at the airport as well, however it is highly unlikely that I will choose the Hilton again.

Im a Platinum member at IHG and I have had numerous additional nights in other hotels but I cannot remember such a poor standard of accommodation prior to now.

Thank you for the refund it is appreciated and saves me asking. On a positive note the breakfast was very good this morning.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by lfc84
I booked a room at the LGW Hilton and it was disgusting.
I found this hotel mediocre (at best) when I stayed earlier this year. But your photos reveal a truly shocking level of poor maintenance which is quite unacceptable. A refund was quite in order!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Also I am shocked for the pictures.

I have a booking in this hotel for an early departure ex LGW in January but I may reconsider it now.

Isn't the hotel being renovated? If so, It is possible to obtain one of the refurbished rooms?

Thanks,
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:47 pm

I stayed here at the end of October and thought it was ok........upgraded to exec.....nice lounge etc.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Got a very nice large Diamond suite upgrade on an 80 rate. Nothing disgusting about this room. ^
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I stayed a couple of nights here over the weekend, as I was working in Dorking at short notice. Some points to note:
- The rate was good for booking on the day (77).
- There was a long queue to check in, but noone in the HHonors queue
- Checkin proactively asked if I'd like an upgrade to Executive (naturally agreed!)
- My colleague, also Gold, was also offered the upgrade but he declined as he preferred a smoking room. The checkin agent authorised him lounge access anyway.
- Room was nice, clean, large, but no welcome gift (or even biscuit).
- Excellent sound proofing in the windows. I could watch the 777s land without hearing anything.
- Not so good sound proofing in the restaurant.
- Good quality buffet food in the evening (including goat curry!)
- Car park confusing to find at first.

Overall, I'd definitely stay there again when working in the area. Or indeed flying somewhere!

signol
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:10 am
mmo

Gatwick-Hilton/Hampton

Hello,
I had already booked a one night stay at the Gatwick/Hampton with a MVP rate then discovered that this is adjacent to the North Terminal. My morning flight leaves from the South terminal. Does anyone have a discount code for Hilton/Gatwick with is adjacent to the South terminal? Hilton MVP rate code doesn't work there. Date is July 21st to July 22. Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by mmo
Hello,
I had already booked a one night stay at the Gatwick/Hampton with a MVP rate then discovered that this is adjacent to the North Terminal. My morning flight leaves from the South terminal. Does anyone have a discount code for Hilton/Gatwick with is adjacent to the South terminal? Hilton MVP rate code doesn't work there. Date is July 21st to July 22. Thanks!
Try pr11pn or pr13cb
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
2 stays, 1 night each, July 2014

July 2014, 2 stays, 1 night each

When we bought our flight to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, we wanted to make our journey as smooth and convenient as possible.

Since we had to buy separate tickets (We had to find our way from Dublin to London Gatwick.) we also didn't want to run the risk of missing a connection, so we booked the Hilton London Gatwick on the night before and after our flight to Bangkok.

We had still points left from the Hilton Honors rewards program and used them for both nights.

Arriving with Aer Lingus at London Gatwick's South Terminal we followed the signs to the hotel. It meant going to the parking garage and taking a lift.

It wasn't our first stay. When we were last there we were impressed by the friendliness of the staff and our treatment as entrance Hilton Honors Blue members. We received an upgrade to a newly renovated room at the time. Only parts of the lobby had been accessible then due to building work. Now the hotel is completely renovated.

As soon as we entered the hotel we encountered a nice atrium with Amy's Restaurant and Bar as center piece.

There was also a Costa Coffee and Journey's Friend gift shop.

At check in a few people were queuing in front of us, but it didn't take too long. We were welcomed as return guests (on both occasions) - even though it had been a few years back - and as Hilton Honors Gold members upgraded to an Executive Room with Executive Lounge access. We were pleased with this.

The hotel is large with over 900 rooms, so to locate the room can be an issue (which lift to take) and the walk could be long.

Besides Amy's there is also the Garden Restaurant and Charlie Fly's Sport's Bar. In room dining is 24 hours available. Starters begin at 7.50 GBP (ca. 9.45 Euro / 12.85 USD), pasta and pizza from 13 GBP (16.35 Euro / 22.25 USD), mains from 16.50 GBP (ca. 20.70 Euro/ 28.20 USD) and desserts from 8 GBP (ca. 10.05 Euro / 13.70 USD).

Our first room was located on the 2nd floor of the new wing with views over the garden and another wing of the hotel, while the second room was on the fourth floor in the same wing. The layout was slightly different, but the color scheme in different shades of brown and furniture was the same.

We had a queen-size bed, a chair with ottoman, coffee table, writing desk, credenza, large flat screen TV (with all important channels) and a wardrobe.

The artwork was photographs depicting nature, like leaves.

The tea/coffee making facilities were by Twinning’s Tea (Every day and peppermint) and Douwe Egberts Coffee, brown and white sugar and sweetener. The cups were by Villeroy and Boch.

The mini bar contained Pago juices from Austria, which we liked and took all two of them, one was 2.95 GBP (ca. 3.70 Euro / 5.05 USD).

The rest was more typical beverages like Coca Cola.

There was a short hallway with a wooden floor, leading off to the bath room. The bed room was carpeted.

The bath room was medium sized and tiled in different colors (green and white) and sizes. The bath tub and shower were separate and there was a sink and toilet. The first bath room was stocked with shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, while the other had also body lotion.

Both rooms were good, but I thought the layout of the first room was slightly more comfortable and the shower a bit bigger.

While my better half could sleep without any issues, I had problems. The pillows were too soft for me and didn't offer enough support.

Otherwise the bed was comfortable.

As Hilton Honors Gold Members we also received free internet access. It was spotty.

During our second stay the hotel had issues with their computer system, so no swipe of the credit card could be taken and we didn't have access to the minibar and the internet log in didn't function at all.

We were glad we had stopped at the Marks & Spencer's at the South Terminal to buy our dinner and a few beverages. We were too tired to bother going to the restaurant or order room service after our long flight from Bangkok, so the internet access wasn't that important and the drinks had been thank goodness already sorted.

I also received an apology at check out when I mentioned the mini bar had been locked.

The Executive Club Lounge is located on the 4th floor and easily to identify by the aquarium.

The lounge is L-shaped and longer than wide. There is a reception area, stocked with newspapers and check in/check out facilities.

The seating is restaurant style.

The buffet during Happy Hour was small, but sufficient to make dinner out of it. There were cold cuts, vegetables, cheese, crackers, stuffed peppadew, rolls, bread stuffed with grilled vegetables, chicken wings and more.

There was a small selection of non-alcoholic drinks including Strathmore still or sparkling water, Squash and other soft drinks and a small selection of liqueurs, wines and beers.

The quality was good, so we were happy. During our second stay we missed the Happy Hour due to our late arrival.

We went on both occasions to the breakfast and enjoyed especially the fresh strawberries. There were coffee, tea, two juices, cold cuts, smoked salmon, fruit salad, cheese, scrambled eggs, cereals and much more. The items were regularly replenished, even shortly before the breakfast service finished.

Before our flight to Bangkok we arrived early; on our way back to Dublin we were there shortly before the breakfast service closed. We had already chosen our breakfast, when punctual at 10.30 hours the staff began carrying away the food without informing the guests. It would be nice if one of the hosts could go from table to table - maybe five minutes before - and advise they are clearing the buffet.

Breakfast was quieter during our weekday stay. On the Sunday nearly all tables were taken.

Wake up calls were delivered on time, so thumbs up for this.

Check out was pleasant and without any issues.

All staff encountered were very friendly and efficient.

We like the location, comfort of the rooms, quality of food and the staff.

The Hilton London Gatwick allowed us to travel without stress and arrive relaxed at our destination.

Should we need in the future again a night or two at Gatwick we would love to stay here again.

Would we stay at this hotel again? YES! ^
Would we recommend this hotel to a friend? YES! ^

Some of our images we took during our stays at the Hilton London Gatwick Airport, July 2014:

|| HILTON LONDON GATWICK HOTEL || LGW || LONDON GATWICK AIRPORT || ENGLAND || UK || JULY 2014 || x2 || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr
|| HILTON LONDON GATWICK HOTEL || LGW || LONDON GATWICK AIRPORT || ENGLAND || UK || JULY 2014 || x2 || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

For more images we took during our two stays in July 2014 at the Hilton LGW:

HERE

Thanks and safe travels.

Last edited by uggboy; Jul 18, 2014 at 5:35 am
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:55 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Nice review ^ , very detailed and useful and you know I'm going to say thanks for posting some pics as well ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.