Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sao Paulo Morumbi {BRA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by TrinaLC
It might just have gotten better [I am diamond level, so YMMV of course.]

I flew in (typical GRU flight, arrives 6 a.m), got checked into a great Executive level floor room. overlooking the bridge (so allowed in my room by 10:00a.m, though occupancy could obviously affect that).

Left for meetings, arrived back mid afternoon to find that my toileteries (which I had tossed about on arrival) were nicely arranged, as well as the clothes I had hastily discarded on the bed ...

Working at their great appointed desk ... knock at the door... a charming young woman with a cart - Would I like to have an adult beverage? Perhaps a cheese platter, fruit platter or some chocolates?

Seems they are testing a special welcome service, I think perhaps only for Diamond members. But how lovely! WOW!

And I also measure how well a hotel measures up to problems. My room was FREEZING. I called guest services, after 5oPM, and had 2 engineers in my room within 15 minutes. It wasn't an easy fix, they needed to get tools; guest services offered to move me - but I loved my room - and the engineers came back with tools and quietly fixed it in about a half hour.

And of course I could go on and on about how awesome the executive lounge is; others have posted but it is one of the best (if not the best) in terms of ambience, service, views, food, etc.
Trina, glad to hear that you are enjoying your stay at the Hilton Sao Paulo Morumbi.

It would appear that your positive experience is very similar to those of WendySFO and of mine, complete with early check-in and with the wine, fruits, chocolates (in their nifty blue velvet bag that I still have). The one common thread is that we're all Diamond.

Not sure that it's a "special service" but you never know

As many on the thread have pointed out the crime problems in Sao Paulo and especially in Rio, do be very careful while in Brazil.

Last edited by sapguy; Aug 3, 2010 at 5:34 am
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy
Trina, glad to hear that you are enjoying your stay at the Hilton Sao Paulo Morumbi.

It would appear that your positive experience is very similar to those of WendySFO and of mine, complete with early check-in and with the wine, fruits, chocolates (in their nifty blue velvet bag that I still have). The one common thread is that we're all Diamond.

Not sure that it's a "special service" but you never know

As many on the thread have pointed out the crime problems in Sao Paulo and especially in Rio, do be very careful while in Brazil.
Thank you for your cautionary advice!

I have found in SP major business areas nothing but positives. This morning I took a taxi to a meeting in a business with a [insert the major road, "united nations" in Portuguese!] address, but the cab driver could not locate it (new building, entrance on side street). He drove around a while, stopped for directions, and when we pulled in the cab fare was 33 - he turned around, and said to me "One, Five". It took me a minute to realize he was asking only 15 for the fare - which was (pun intended) fair, but you would seldom see that out of a NY cabbie!

Second night in this great property (keeping on topic, Mods!). A few stray clothes nicely folded, again a wonderful spread in the lounge, and single malt scotch
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by 360guy
Any suggestions on taxi service from GRU to Sao Paulo Hilton?
Sorry, just saw this. I arranged through the hotel. It is quite pricey - I think about $180 USD - but when I arrived, bleary eyed, the driver was there, in arrivals, with a Hilton sign and my name on it. Priceless. Plus it took almost 3 hours - and certainly 2-1/2 - to get to the hotel at rush hour on a monday morning. I didn't see an accident, and so don't think this was terribly unusual.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Sorry, just saw this. I arranged through the hotel. It is quite pricey - I think about $180 USD - but when I arrived, bleary eyed, the driver was there, in arrivals, with a Hilton sign and my name on it. Priceless. Plus it took almost 3 hours - and certainly 2-1/2 - to get to the hotel at rush hour on a monday morning. I didn't see an accident, and so don't think this was terribly unusual.
2.5 to 3 hours from GRU to the Hilton is a bit longer than usual. My car service ride (arranged for me by my company) took 1 hour 45 mins and I was going crazy (thought that I was being kidnapped , which is not unusual in Brazil).

Was the $180 a fixed rate?

In my case, the ride was billed directly to my company so I have no idea how much it cost.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:53 pm

Thank you for your cautionary advice!

I have found in SP major business areas nothing but positives. This morning I took a taxi to a meeting in a business with a [insert the major road, "united nations" in Portuguese!] address, but the cab driver could not locate it (new building, entrance on side street). He drove around a while, stopped for directions, and when we pulled in the cab fare was 33 - he turned around, and said to me "One, Five". It took me a minute to realize he was asking only 15 for the fare - which was (pun intended) fair, but you would seldom see that out of a NY cabbie!

Second night in this great property (keeping on topic, Mods!). A few stray clothes nicely folded, again a wonderful spread in the lounge, and single malt scotch
Trina, if you still there at the Hilton Morumbi, take a taxi to the Morumbi Mall, about 10 minutes away. It's an upscale mall with very nice stores and excellent restaurants.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:32 am

Anyone know if the Hilton Sao Paulo accepts corporate rates? My corp rate code, as well as MVP and Carlson-wagonlit codes (for my company) don't seem to have any success at this property. Or perhaps it's 'coz we're coming up on the Carnavale holiday...?

There don't seem to be many Hilton properties in SP (or most of Brazil for that matter), it's almost like Hilton is intentionally ignoring the BRIC countries...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:19 pm

I am HH Gold and will be staying at the Hilton Morumbi this month. The rate is extremely high (over $450US) and I am trying to see how I can get it a bit cheaper or at least get into the executive level.

I basically lived in the Hilton Morumbi for over 5 months back in 10' so I am familiar with the hotel, the gym and have a few friends from there.

I use to have the email address of the hotel and when the hotel was sold out I would email them directly and ask for some help....many times they obliged!

Do I have a higher probability of getting on the executive floor as a HH Gold member if I am paying a premium rate? Our corporate rate is not available.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I am currently at the Hilton Sao Paulo. I have not been here in nearly two years but it remains a very nice property. I have been upgraded to an Executive Room as an HH Gold. The lounge is still wonderful with a great breakfast spread including 3 hot items (two egg dishes plus bacon) and lots of cold cuts, cheeses, fruit, breads, yoghurt, and plenty of hot/cold drinks. Very friendly staff at the lounge reception desk (two attendants) plus 2-3 more in the lounge area offering coffee and clearing tables etc. Very well staffed.

Since my last visit, I see a new building has been constructed next to the Hilton that partially blocks the view of the bridge with the yellow cables. One can still see the bridge at an angle from the hotel......just not as clear of a view as before.

The hotel seems very quiet. There were only two other guests in the lounge with me at 9:00am this morning. Everytime I have been in the elevator since yesterday, I have been the only one. I wonder if SP hotels are suffering with the general economic slowdown in Brazil.

Last edited by Seat 1F; Oct 4, 2013 at 8:32 am
Old May 27, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I am going to be staying in this hotel for a trade show in July. The hotel website says there is an underground tunnel to the convention center. Is it within walking distance?

Thank you!
Old May 27, 2014, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jeanie
I am going to be staying in this hotel for a trade show in July. The hotel website says there is an underground tunnel to the convention center. Is it within walking distance?

Thank you!
Unsure where your "trade show" really is, or which convention centre you look for in SP... - but if it is within the area of WTC or CENU, those are Building Towers interconnected underground by a shopping centre, air conditioning etc, or above ground all within walking distance. Really convenient, nothing to fret about.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:20 pm

Unfortunately, it really is a trade show. It is at the Transamerica Expo Center. I had thought the hotel was about 3 miles away, but on the hotel website it mentioned that underground walkway. Your response makes me think they might be referring to a different facility.

I have never been to Brazil, and was trying to work out the logistics of things.

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, it really is a trade show. It is at the Transamerica Expo Center. I had thought the hotel was about 3 miles away, but on the hotel website it mentioned that underground walkway. Your response makes me think they might be referring to a different facility.

I have never been to Brazil, and was trying to work out the logistics of things.

Thanks.
The Transamerica Expo Center is 4 miles away, 20-30 minutes by car, easier on the way back to the hotel than going to that Expo Center.

Try this link to get an idea.: http://bit.ly/1nVT9lF

There are trade shows being held at the WTC, thus my to which one you were going to.

Cheers
Old May 28, 2014, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by pb9997
The Transamerica Expo Center is 4 miles away, 20-30 minutes by car, easier on the way back to the hotel than going to that Expo Center.

Try this link to get an idea.: http://bit.ly/1nVT9lF

There are trade shows being held at the WTC, thus my to which one you were going to.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice. After reading a few threads, I have another question for you if you don't mind. I am a woman, and some people say to have the hotel arrange transportation while in Sao Paulo to be safe. They can hail a cab for me on the way there. What is the best way to get a car for the return trip? Is it safe to get a cab at the Expo Center?

I appreciate your help.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. After reading a few threads, I have another question for you if you don't mind. I am a woman, and some people say to have the hotel arrange transportation while in Sao Paulo to be safe. They can hail a cab for me on the way there. What is the best way to get a car for the return trip? Is it safe to get a cab at the Expo Center?

I appreciate your help.
Sure, anytime, you are more than welcome...

a) Taxis in Sao Paulo are pretty professional, they run a metered service, clean, a/c and confortable; Highly suggest you install an app in your phone such as Easytaxi so you never feel stranded anywhere. It is a huge city so taxis do not amble around on the streets but within minutes you should get a taxi, once called up by that or other similar apps.

b) ExpoCenter is a rather large full facility place. You should have no worries there, coming back, as they also have a taxi rank fully serviced; They are used to foreign visitors.

c) Understood you are a woman - but it still is as generic as your initially trade show description site - as there are so many places that hold professional high level trade shows in SP. Anyway, both the Transamerica and the Hilton are south of the city. Transamerica itself is pretty desolated after hours and the Hilton, while corporate high end, is not welcoming to ambling around on the streets in the evening.

d) Personally I prefer to suggest foreign first time visitors to Sao Paulo to be in the Jardins neighbourhood, an area where it is safe to amble around in the evenings, lots of high end bars, cafes and restaurants. Several hotels such as Renaissance, Hyatt, boutique hotels, and others are available there, though no Hilton properties.

e) Should you insist on Hilton, be it because you are a member of HHonors or because it is closer to Transamerica, do consider in your evenings taking a taxi and go to Moema or Itaim the closer neighbourhoods to Hilton where you can have a feel of the locals, cafes, restaurants, bars and, please, consider yourself going to Jardins - near Oscar Freire street - nice restaurants and scene.

f) Have your phone app installed to get a taxi home, this way you feel more independent, wherever you may be. Also, try to avoid showing off your phone when on the streets. Abroad I am free to check maps, etc on my phone; In Brazil, better have them printed out on old fashioned paper

g) Be prepared for traffic - SP will surely not disappoint you on this feature.

h) Unsure if you are coming during World Cup - if that is the case, one more reason for you to be in the areas where you may find tourists and locals in the streets partying and celebrating.

Feel free to ask if you have further questions.

Cheers.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:13 pm

That's a lot of useful information. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.