Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Just Short: Not Enough Hilton Honors Points for an Award Reservation. What to Do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just Short: Not Enough Hilton Honors Points for an Award Reservation. What to Do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2002, 5:15 pm

buy the points .....it will cost u a whopping $10.00

pat
Old Jun 19, 2002, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pppfun:
buy the points .....it will cost u a whopping $10.00

pat
</font>
Thanks for all the responses! I called them up and first they offered me the buy option which would have cost me $20.00 (because it's more than 1,000 points).

Then I got transferred to the service desk where the incredibly nice account rep that answered, gave me enough points for my reward on the spot!
Old Sep 30, 2002, 4:13 am

Award Reservation (Not Enough Points). What to say?

I have read on this board that you are able to make an award reservation before having the necessary points in your account. So long as you show up at the hotel with the proper award certificate in hand, you are alright.

I wish to make a 3 night reservation at a premium hotel, but I am a little more than 50K points short. Once I complete CNTU, I will be very close to the amount I need.

Do I just call the HHonors number and tell them what I need to do. Meaning do I tell them that I need to make a reservation even though I do not have the points in my account, and I will print the certificate later? Or is there some other process to follow?
Old Sep 30, 2002, 6:13 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
You just make the reservation and they don't care whether or not you have the points.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:25 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, US Airways/AA
Short on points

We might be about 5-10 short for our trip to Germany. We are waiting til the new points kick in to redeem for our Munich City hotel stay because it gets CHEAPER.

However for the 3 nights we need 60K and will be just under. By the end of June we will have the points in our account from our Amex Hilton card but not at redemption time.

I have to redeem June 1st and I fly out June 5th (stay in Munich the following week).

Has anyone had luck in getting them to give you the benefit of the doubt?? We consistently have 4K + each month at a MINIMUM....last month was 10K in points.

I just need to go in the hole for a few weeks.

Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:30 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
swelch welcome to FlyerTalk!

I vaguely remember some people getting "advanced". Try a search if nobody gives you a better answer.

But in the meantime, you can get a few thousand or more points using www.MyPoints.com. See the S.P.A.M. forum for all the tips on Tupperware, Amtrak, surveys, et. al. I recently earned 17,000 HH points in just a few weeks.

GO BROWNS!

[This message has been edited by Rut Dog (edited 03-27-2003).]
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:52 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, US Airways/AA
thanks for the brownie jab!

and the SPAM tip!
Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:11 pm

I have read that HH will advance you the points if you ask nice. If you explain you have the credit card and the points are on teh way, I bet that will be persuasive.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:47 pm

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
Right now there is a promotion on the Hilton page for 500 points if you join MyPoints.

http://www.hiltonhhonors.com/

Not sure how fast they would post but if you haven't done that yet it might solve your problem

------------------
"A day without Points/Miles is like a day without SUNSHINE"
Old Mar 27, 2003, 7:10 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K

When I was a little short for a reward a few years ago, the HHonors agent credited my account with a couple of hundred points for free to bring me over. I doubt this is policy -- you probably just have to hit the right agent on the right day.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 9:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Toronto1970:
the HHonors agent credited my account with a couple of hundred points for free to bring me over.</font>
That's an outstanding point. CSR's are given a fair amount of leeway to grant "courtesy points" if you've had bad service or stuff like that. So a nice CSR in a good mood might just bump you over.

I went into detail on my strategy with this once, here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../006497-3.html

Of course, that's with a legitimate problem. You're asking a favor, so a different tack might be in order.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:30 pm

Location: Lawrenceville, GA**DL GM**HH Diamond**Airtran Elite
Can I Reserve Award if I'm Short Points?

Sorry if it's been covered...I did a search. No luck.

If I'm short on points for an award stay a few months down the road, can I still book the award in the anticpation of having the points in time?

Thanks!

------------------
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ski 'n Scuba:
If I'm short on points for an award stay a few months down the road, can I still book the award in the anticpation of having the points in time?</font>

Yes. You do not need to have your award certificate issued (points deducted from account) at the time of reservation. The hotel reservation and award cert issuance are different/separate processes. Thus, you can advise the res. agent when you call to book an award reservation that you will wait and have the actual cert issued at a later time. No problem there.

Make sure though you follow the cancel policy if your plans change. You will be charged (rack rate usually) for no-showing an award res. Award bookings do require a credit card guarantee.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ski 'n Scuba:
If I'm short on points for an award stay a few months down the road, can I still book the award in the anticpation of having the points in time?</font>
Yes. You don't need to have points in your account to make an award reservation.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
Yes. You don't need to have points in your account to make an award reservation.</font>
Just FYI, the one exception I've found to this was when the Diamond Desk "forced" an award reservation at a hotel that was showing no award availability. They took the points out of my account as part of making the reservation. They said I wouldn't need an award cert because they would handle things directly with the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.