Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Philadelphia/Cherry Hill {US-NJ} (no longer Honors)

Old Feb 10, 02, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- A woman has died and seven other people have been hospitalized after an outbreak of meningitis-like symptoms at a suburban hotel outside Philadelphia, a hospital spokeswoman said Sunday.

Three women and four men were admitted to Kennedy Memorial Hospitals-Cherry Hill in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, according to spokeswoman Nicole Pensiero, who said all were in good condition.

The dead woman was identified as Joanne Hemstreet, Pensiero said.

The Hilton Hotel in Cherry Hill, which is about 10 miles southeast of Philadelphia, was quarantined from 2 a.m. EST until late Sunday morning, said Steve Kronic, Hilton senior vice president.

The hospital treated 84 people, including the emergency room staff, with prophylactic antibiotics, Pensiero said. More people may yet be evaluated, she said.

Hemstreet's cause of death was believed to be infection of either pneumococcus or meningococcus bacteria, Pensiero said. The hospital will need 24 hours for confirmation, she said.

Meningococcus is a bacteria that can cause meningitis (swelling of the brain), bacteremia (bacteria in the blood), pneumonia (infection of the lungs) and arthritis (swelling of the joints). Transmitted by coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge and saliva, it takes one to 10 days for symptoms to appear after exposure.

Pneumococcal disease, caused by the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae, or pneumococcus, is the leading cause of death from vaccine-preventable bacterial disease in the United States. The bacteria can cause pneumonia, blood stream infection and meningitis.
Old Feb 10, 02, 1:54 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Our youngest son had meningitis last year - VERY scary stuff...
Old Feb 10, 02, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Eeeekkkk. I have stayed there. perhaps never again though.
Old Feb 10, 02, 2:19 pm

this disease is also known as 'The Club Disease ' because it seems also to happen at clubs and bars, but as i understand it, it is usually carried by sharing something, such as a cigarette or a quick swig of soft drink from a common glass. I dont think it would stop me from staying at the hotel tho, as i dont think it is like legionnaire's disease which is carried through air con systems and would seem harder to eradicate to me.
Old Feb 10, 02, 9:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by franjelley:
I dont think it would stop me from staying at the hotel tho, </font>
Agreed. But what should stop you from staying here is that it is the worst managed, most run down, and generally most disgusting Hilton I have ever encountered.In fact, it's one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in anywhere.
Old Feb 11, 02, 8:23 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kitty Hawk:

Agreed. But what should stop you from staying here is that it is the worst managed, most run down, and generally most disgusting Hilton I have ever encountered.In fact, it's one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in anywhere.</font>
---

Sadly, I cannot disagree with this assessment!

FWIW, I would surely stay elsewhere.

BTW, they probably checked in already infected, IMHO!

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/003772.html

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 02-11-2002).]
Old Feb 11, 02, 11:24 am

DETROIT, Michigan - Word of recent deaths at Hilton properties in Philadelphia has reached the bitter, frozen city of Detroit and staff here at the Detroit Hilton are up in arms.

"The rules clearly state that you can't kill guests!" shouted Gus Vermillion, manager of a local Hilton property. "You are supposed to ruin the STAY of the guests, not their lives."

Vermillion is referring to a long (albeit under-reported) "competition" between Philadelphia and Detroit Hiltons. The cities compete against each other to see who can provide the worst possible hotel experience for its guests.

"It goes beyond not changing the sheets," said Kathy Couchere of the Philadelphia Hilton. "That's obvious stuff - no clean sheets, old towels, no tv remote, broken clock radio - we've got that sh*t down. What we have been trying to do is really stink it up and show Detroit how it's done. We used to try to make the guests have a bad room but now we focus on pure misery from the second they walk in the door."

How do they do it? They start with the members of Hilton's frequent stay club, Hilton Hhhhhhonors. "We hate those ***holes!" Couchere said. "Messing with them is the BEST!" Hhhhhhonors members receive benefits like free bottled water, cheez-its, free local phone calls, and free breakfast."

"We hose them down," said Brett Falducci of Detroit. "These guys come in flashing their gold card like some kind of big shot. Everyone knows the big shots stay at the Hyatt. So we spit in the water. We bill them for calls they didn't make. We do a total number 6 on these guys. Come on, these guys are the regional sales managers for a shower ring company or something. Screw em!"

When asked how Detroit planned to respond to the Philadelphia deaths, Falducci responded in a very quiet, level tone.

"Look, we ain't supposed to kill the guests. We can't even touch 'em. Alls we can do is screw with their room, their amenities, their bill, and their minds. What happened in Philly doesn't count. We're still the champs. We still give the worst service in Detroit, and that ain't gonna change. They say Philly is a tough town because they booed Santa Claus. If Santa stayed with us he would remember the booing fondly after we got through with him. We're the worst and we intend to stay that way."

[This press release is fictional. Any similarity between the characters in this release or the lousy service in Detroit and Philly is purely coincidental.]
Old Feb 14, 02, 7:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, HH Gold, Melia Gold, SPG dead, Marriott given up, AF Frequence+ forever
Cherry Hill Hilton

Does anyone know what actually happened at this hotel?
Outbreak or isolated illness?
Info from people living in the area would be welcome.
Old Feb 14, 02, 8:04 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/003518.html
Old Feb 15, 02, 12:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, HH Gold, Melia Gold, SPG dead, Marriott given up, AF Frequence+ forever
Thank you.
I just needed an update from people in the area, who are most likely to know what actually happened.
Old Aug 2, 02, 5:31 pm

Hilton Philadelphia/Cherry Hill 35$

I just found this on orbitz.com 13-14/8 for 35$. Price is not valid on hilton.com

room Hwre internet only
1 King bed coffeemaker..Dataport..Voicemail iron-board..Hairdryer

What does Hwre stands for? Will this rate earn points?
Old Aug 2, 02, 6:29 pm

Looks like a Hotwire special rate

Hotwire.com
Old Aug 2, 02, 6:58 pm

Looks like a bargain.

I live right down the street from this place. Its about a 30 min drive to PHL and about 15 mins to downtown Philly.

Too bad I don't need any more nights for the 50K promo, or else I'd jump all over it.
Old Aug 2, 02, 7:41 pm

Since it is prepaid, it might not earn points. That's how the expedia prepaid deals are.
Old Sep 9, 02, 8:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hyatt EXP, UA Silver
Hilton Philadelphia/Cherry Hill

Has anyone stayed there? Did you like it? This place keeps popping up for $35 on Orbitz. It makes me wonder if there's anything wrong with the property.

PS. Did you get points/stay there? I've always gotten points for Orbitz reservations, but this one says "Hwre internet only." I'm not sure what that means.

Search this Thread