Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Times Square {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2002, 8:29 am

Just checked out of the Times Square Hilton and as a Diamond Member, I had mixed feelings. I made my reservation the day of, and the Rep who checked me in told me that unless the reservation is done before 10:00am Eastern time no upgrade will be provided. The Hhonors manager came out and told me in fact there was no availability. Not sure about the 10:00 Eastern rule...never had this problem before, but they were nice about it.

Fair enough.

On the upside, the location is great, and the Food was Delish (Bacon wrapped Codfish).......mmmmmmm Bacon.....

This being my first Hilton experience in NYC, I think I will try again in the future, because after all it was better thanthe No-status experience at the W on Lexington.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 3:43 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
My SO checked in at the Hilton Times Square on Sunday. I will be joining him on Thurs. He also inquired about an upgrade and was told that there were no upgrade rooms available. He's a diamond member.

The desk guy told him that you should check in early to get an upgraded room. He said that by the end of the day all are taken. I've heard HHonors members claim the opposite works for them, that they'll save the nicer rooms for paying customers and then free them up for upgrades.

Old Jul 30, 2002, 4:23 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
You should always book your reses on the Hilton web site, and put a comment in the comments section requesting a Diamond upgrade to best available room. This makes it harder for properties to play games.

You should also check availability on the web or by phone just before arrival, if you think they are not talking straight. Perhaps at the front desk, for example, you call on your cell and ask what room types are available, and let them tell you nothing open? Sometimes you have to be aggressive with those properties that don't upgrade as they should. I have no idea of the HTS upgrade categories, but I seem to have read about Diamonds getting suites. I stayed once and was not impressed, and got no material upgrade as a Gold.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 4:48 pm
Commander Catcop

I think I ahve stayed at this particular Hilton more than any other... and I am NEVER disappointed.

Staff is great, helpful, efficient. Good, larger than normal rooms.

No Executive Lounge, but may I suggest we all write Hilton to request one. Even some staff say that's the big setback of the property. Mostly sleep in so I miss breakfast!

I never asked for an upgrade but generally get a nice room wtih a city view on a high floor. Happy with that.

If you call the hotel you might be able to secure an upgrade.

FYI: It's been mentioned before but this property was to be a DOUBLETREE but Hilton chagned it mind a few weeks before the Times Square property becamea Hilton.

Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:20 am

As a frequent guest of the Hilton TS, I learned that the 10:00 a.m. cutoff is from the fact that mangement determines who gets upgrades around that time and assigns rooms for everyone. Suggestion: call in the monring before you arrive to request an upgrade.

I'm a Gold, but receive frequent upgrades because they know that I stay at that specific hotel often enough to know. Typically, I receive a high room on HHonors floor. The "upgrade" is a one-bedroom suite on one of the top two floors. It includes a big screen TV and CD-player stereo, couch, wet bar, and a couple bottles of water. Oh, yeah -- the jacuzzi bathtub hits the spot.

The restaurant is better than typical hotel fare -- it gets good write-ups on it's own. "New York" magazine likes it. But don't expect a good restaurant to translate into good quality room service here.

------------------
On the road, In the air,
I enjoy travel, From here to there.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 9:02 am

Whilst I agree with the comments on room size and location I find the staff there to be amongst the rudest I’ve ever encountered at a Hilton. Management isn’t much better.

Check-in staff couldn’t care less and simple requests went unanswered or ignored.

The staff in the restaurant is also pretty poor – at all breakfasts, the waiter was clearly only concerned by the tip he’d get (“never wash red clothes with withes” was one of mine).

Securing an upgrade has been very straightforward – jetsetter’s comments are spot on (and ask the Diamond desk – shouldn’t be a problem).
Old Jul 31, 2002, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
I'm staying here over Labor Day weekend at a cheap rate ($161). I am Gold. What kind of upgrade should I expect if I call that morning and ask, since I won't be arriving at the hotel until 9 pm? How are are the restaurants at this hotel. Is the comp breakfast any good? (This stay will be my 4th for the CNTU 50k program.)
Old Jul 31, 2002, 9:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I was there last Thursday night (the 25th). Got an excellent room up on the 43rd, and a pair of free breakfasts. They even tossed in two bottles of water.

Breakfast was the usual eggs, french toast, saussages, juices, but it was all hot, fresh and good.

It was my first time there, I would easily stay again the next time I have to overnight in the city.

Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:12 am

I can vouch for the food, it seemed pretty good. Also when I check in they offered 500 Hhonrs Points or Comp. Breakfast, I took the Points offered.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 4:55 pm

Contact at Hilton Times Square??

I'm taking my wife to New York next weekend to stay at the Hilton Times Square for our anniversary. I'm a lowly gold but I was hoping to arrange an upgrade. Does anyone have any advice or an email for a contact at the Hiton Times Square that I may be able to make a request to in advance of our visit?
Old Aug 19, 2002, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Nothing, SPG Gold
Hilton Times Square

What are your experiences with upgrades at Hilton Times Square? Do they even have towers or executive lounge? I didn't see it listed at hilton.com.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 11:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Stayed at this Hilton over New Years 01-02. Did not get an upgrade, no towers or exec lounge. Did have 2 rooms under my name (HHonors Gold) and got bkfast coupons for all 4 persons. Very good breakfast too!

Have 2 rooms held again over this Labor Day. Would love to have some comments on this Hilton vs. the one more up by Rockefeller Center.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 6:40 am

Do a search on this board and you'll find several posts about the NY Hilton vs. Hilton TS (many from me).

IMHO based on my personal preferences, Hilton TS is better.

Hilton TS
- Golds & Diamonds can get upgraded room on top floors on occasion. But there are few of these, and it requires a little effort.
- All other rooms are clean, new, individually climate controlled.
- Right next to Port Authority subway station, access to anywhere in NYC.
- On the magical 42nd Street in the heart of Times Square ... great location.
- Rooms are on the 23-44 floors. Nice view from most hotel rooms.
- Great breakfast with coupon.

NY Hilton
- Golds & Diamonds can often get upgraded to large rooms mini-suites, but the rooms are usually in mediocre shape.
- Most rooms are scuzzy, old. Climate control in this hotel is an oxymoron. Expect your room to be too cold or too hot.
- Nice exuctive lounge, when open. These days, it's closed weekends.
- Close to MoMA, one subway line, and some Broadway shows, but several blocks from Times Square.
- Most rooms have view of other buildings.
- Good breakfast in executive lounge when open. It takes some arguing to get breakfast coupons for weekend stays.

------------------
On the road, In the air,
I enjoy travel, From here to there.

[This message has been edited by ontheroad (edited 08-20-2002).]
Old Aug 20, 2002, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks ontheroad, sounds like the TS Hilton is definately better for Labor Day weekend that we have planned. I would be pi**ed if we got to the NY Hilton and the lounge was closed, as I agree the location is not as good for visiting the city for our purposes of arts, food, and nightlife. Perhaps I will have to try the NY Hilton sometime that I am there during the week.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 8:34 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ontheroad:
NY Hilton
- Close to MoMA,...
</font>

Just to clarify that the MoMA Manhattan location is closed until 2005.
http://www.moma.org/momaqns/directors_letter.html

Rich

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.