Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Washington Dulles Airport {US-VA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Washington Dulles Airport {US-VA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:44 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Hilton Dulles $279 from Central Reservations or $99 online?

That was the price difference for last night. I checked online before I called, repeated the hotel name, date and room type during the call, and then booked 5 minutes later online for $99. Saved $180 by having an internet connection.

How can they justify that?
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
When you say booked online, did you mean Hilton.com or other mainstream site or was this Priceline, etc? It seems like a big difference to me.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:12 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by omegadeal
When you say booked online, did you mean Hilton.com or other mainstream site or was this Priceline, etc? It seems like a big difference to me.
Hilton.com $99 before the call. The call to Central Reservations $279. Hilton.com after the call $99 booked.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:15 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

When getting a quote on the phone, I ALWAYS ask "is this the best rate you can give me?" More often than not, I am offered a lower rate.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
When getting a quote on the phone, I ALWAYS ask "is this the best rate you can give me?" More often than not, I am offered a lower rate.
Anyone who doesnt know this gets to pay what they deserve
Conversely when booking on line do you pick the highest or lowest rate shown?

mike
Old May 3, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I usually go one step further, when they ask "can I book that for you?', if I hem and haw a bit, I usually just say "that's too much money", most times they come back to me with some other type option (sometimes it a good option, and sometimes not).
If you find a rate on line and you want to call, just tell them what you found on line and ask if they can do any better.
You don't get, if you don't ask!
Old May 6, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
Tell them the rate, and sometimes they say that it is an internet-only rate (possibly with no cancellations) and they don't have access to it. Whenever they can find it and want to book it for me, I tell them I want the online booking bonus, and they understand.
Old May 6, 2008, 9:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
That's not at all uncommon. Usually if you are on the phone with them and ask for the $99 rate online they can give it to you.

I was reserving at a Hampton when we were moving, each day the phone would ring and we would find out if we were going to close that day or not, usually around 5. One time I wasn't near a computer, called reservations at one of the hotels we were using, and their best rate was $229 or whatever. I said can I have the stay and stay and shop rate instead?

Type type type. Sure, that will be $59 for the night.

It always amazes me that so many people won't go the extra few minutes to find lower fares, rates, whatever on their travel bookings, but betting the industry plans on that.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton Dulles Airport: definition of "complimentary" re: Internet

I thought this post on a linguistics blog brought up an interesting issue...
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1842
And here is what Hilton Hotels thought "complimentary high-speed Internet access" meant: if you are a guest, and you register for Internet access in your room, and agree to have the $9.99 charged thereto, then after that you can also use your laptop in the lobby for no extra charge. So if you pay $9.99 for the relevant 24 hours it's free.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, Delta SkyMiles
Sounds like they meant to say "complementary," as in it complements the access you are paying for in the room.

Of course, that may get a few people's attention and not draw in as many suckers, and well, you just can't have that.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA Lifetime Plat
I'm staying here for 2 nights next week. Any updated reports?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN (*G), BA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Its a decent hotel with nice rooms and a ok lounge.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:39 pm

It's my favorite Hilton property in the area. I don't understand the page 1 gripe about
parking ... use the garage that is under the lobby area.

The lounge is good; not great. Good.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dranz
It's my favorite Hilton property in the area. I don't understand the page 1 gripe about
parking ... use the garage that is under the lobby area.

The lounge is good; not great. Good.
I think the gripe about parking is dependent upon where your room is at relative to the basement parking. I've stayed here and had my room closer to the elevator at the end of south/west wing. Clearly with inclement weather, the parking garage is the place to go but it can be a bit of pain to get to/from your room as well as the executive lounge if you're not close by the lobby elevators.

I also can't remember if the executive lounge has any windows or not since it is on the inside curve of the building. That may also explain why I remember it being a bit dark and cave like. Or it may be a function of being a West Coast person having to get up at 3 AM Pacific Time to be at 7:30 AM Eastern meetings.

David
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Next time I'll try another property...

I'm writing this from my room at the IAD Herdon Hilton. I stayed at this property last December as well.

I'm really ready to stay somewhere else. This place has "issues". I remember being unhappy with my stay last time, and again this time.

The biggest issue has been the internet. When I arrived in my room, I tried to log on, entered room# & name, and it told me it didn't recognize me. I tried calling the Customer Care number (front desk?) No answer after ~12 rings. I called the LodgeNet help number, they tried calling the desk as well, and no answer for them either. It took them a while, getting my MAC addresses, but they finally got me connected. But the connection isn't great, and drops all them time. I started with the wireless, but that would disconnect too often, so I switched to the wired. But even that is unreliable and slow. I tried to Skype my wife, and it took a while to get through, and then kept freezing up. Finally I just called her from my cell phone. Getting my work email has been tough as well. The internet here is just substandard.

The folks at the front desk are nice, but there isn't much offered for a Diamond here. I did get a very big room (not a suite), which is nice, on the 4th floor. But minimal ammenities, no robe. Room is clean, but I have noticed some squashed pretzels on the carpet near the elevator that have been there since yesterday.

The gym is pretty nice, and big, with a good number and variety of machines. However, funky hours on the pool & jacuzzi, so I didn't get to try those.

Parking underground is convenient. Especially with the snow outside. The food at the bar/lounge is fine. The executive lounge is lacking, with not the best hours, and no free drinks. I did use the one computer up there to print out my BP's. It worked, and better than the Business center computers I tried to use last time.

It isn't necessarily easy or convenient driving here at night from the rental car lots.

Highs: the gym
Lows: the internet problems; general dinginess of the hallways; low-energy staff.

Not the worst hotel in the chain, but I'm ready to try somewhere else, and won't miss this place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.