Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Washington Dulles Airport {US-VA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Washington Dulles Airport {US-VA}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2001, 6:29 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by seanthepilot:
During our trip, we volunteered for the involuntary reroute (bump). United paid for our hotel at IAD Hilton plus $16(x4) for dinner.

We decided to go all out. I had the rack of lamb, my wife and children ordered their respective meals. Then I made the mistake of showing him our vouchers!!!!!

Voump! They dissapeared from the table with a dust trail, he snatched them so fast! As quick as he grabbed the vouchers, he dissapeared, for almost the entire meal. For service here and there, I would casually signal the Manager who seemed only happy to accomodate, as he made his periodic rounds checking the tables. The service was sorrily lacking. Starting from the moment the vouchers were presented.

When the check arrived, the $64 was deducted from the total, which still seemed relatively high for the items we ordered. I grabbed my cell phone to use the calculator on it. All items correct, all items total correctly, ok he added a tip "auto grat" it was called.

Hey. how much he added turned out to be 19% of the pretax total. Now I am a waiter. I will tip well when service warrants.

Talked discreetly to the manager, who informed me that the waiter must have pushed the wrong key. The waiter seemed really scared when he gave me the revised bill for 15% added.

Hey, I don't mind that they add a tip on. You'd think that once he saw the vouchers, he would give at least adequate service knowing that he was taken care of. This being the case, many would have left a few more bucks. Either way, win-win, right?

But for him to deliberately add 19%. Beware of the adjustable percentage key. And NEVER show the voucher until you've received the check.
</font>
Actually I do mind automatically added tips, as they are useless. For me the idea of the very high (some think too high) NA tips is to provide an incentive to the personell to offer excellent service, but if the tip is added automatically it is just a hidden price hike with no incentive left.
Old Oct 19, 2001, 10:04 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ranles:
Does seem like a time to leave a note with a recalculation of the bill and a cash payment for what is owing.

One line would read:

Service: unacceptable Auto tip $00000.00

Then let they chase me out of the place if necessary.
</font>
Would have - Could have - should have!!!

Looking back, I agree sooooooo much with you !
Old Oct 24, 2001, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I called Mohammed a few days ago about not hearing from the hotel manager about my "Easy Escapes" coupon book. He said he would send another note to the day manager (I doubt it), and then he referred me to the day manager's voice mail. I left a polite message about not getting my coupons, but have not heard back from him. I would be more upset, except that I'm beginning to realize the coupons are practically worthless because they're so hard to use, and not really that good of a deal.
Old Mar 25, 2002, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Just a bump to see how the hotel is now? I may be staying there for a couple of nights in about 2 weeks from now.

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2002, 11:10 pm

I'm assuming this is the Hilton in the Renaissance center across from Dulles? If so, I've stayed there twice in the past 6 months (my company is headquartered in the same building) The rooms were great - very clean and furnishings in good condition. Food in the restaurant was ok, but the service in the restaurant was lousy - I practically had to beg for a second cup of coffee.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I can't complain about this place. Going to a floor with key access didn't require a key. Club lounge was closed on the weekend. Large room with decent space. nothing special and nothing upsetting. The bar closes at midnight which is a bit early but hey what can I say. The only negative thing was that the 24 hour business center closed down for some reason.

[This message has been edited by TrojanHorse (edited 03-27-2002).]
Old Mar 26, 2002, 9:10 am

I have stayed here twice in the last six weeks. Both stays were on weekends ($79-89 rate); the concierge lounge was not open.

The rooms were fresh and nicely decorated. I stayed once on the third floor and once on the fourth floor; the rooms were the same.

On the first stay I had a little problem getting breakfast coupons, but it was easily resolved. I was allowed to have the full breakfast buffet, which was very good, even though I don't think I was entitled to it with my coupon. The wait service was fine. I did not eat in the restaurant. Take out hors d'oeuvres from the bar were good as was the bar itself.

Free internet service in the business center on my first stay, but it was closed for repair on my second stay.

I understand, from a friend, that the fitness facilities are very good, but I did not see them.

I don't have anything in the area to compare it to, but I would stay again.

Old Mar 28, 2002, 6:41 am

I stayed here in Jan for free after a VDB (= accepted a bump offer) and thought the room was excellent. I had an $8 breakfast voucher and a $16 dinner voucher, which was inadequate given the menu prices so I drank my dinner and then used the $16 voucher for an omelette and juice at breakfast.

I did think the service was slow at breakfast and I was actually in a hurry for a change, but the food was good. I did not run into any problems with inadequate English by the staff, but did not really appreciate the bartender hanging out in the corner with his buddy to the point where I had to get off my stool and walk over to him to request another drink. I mentioned this to the night manager on my way up to my room, assuming he would discuss it with the bartender at a later time. Instead, he immediately marched into the bar, ripped the guy a new one, told his buddy to leave, and comped my drinks.

The next day at IAD, I gave the $8 voucher to the first family I saw at McDonald's that appeared to be of the same ethnic persuasion as the bartender, because I thought the manager overreacted and I also thought the said overreaction was ethnically related.

I hope that helped but I doubt it did and the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. BTW the morning manager was all smiles and very helpful, and very well groomed and (sue me) very good looking. Also the shuttle driver was quite jolly and did strange things while driving such as stopping at those funny red octagonal signs and using that funny lever on the left side of the steering column. I don't see that too much in DC (yeah, I know it's in Virginia).
Old Aug 7, 2002, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Hilton Washington Dulles Airport

There seems to be no recent feedback about this hotel. I have a few questions - (1) Transport between IAD and the hotel - complimentary shuttle van? (2) Accomodations - I'm a HH Gold, what to expect? Decent gym?

As the rate is too good to be true and its only a quick overnight, I will be staying there (no matter how good or bad). Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2002, 6:15 pm
doc

Yes, it's a nice place! Enjoy!

Old Aug 7, 2002, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Which Dulles hotel? There's an ES, Hampton & Hilton.

The ES is the best.
Old Aug 7, 2002, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The Hilton
Old Aug 8, 2002, 12:58 am

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Check out:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002115.html

This place is OLD!!
Old Aug 8, 2002, 2:31 pm
doc

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbmaury:

Check out:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002115.html

This place is OLD!!
</font>
---

If you want a newer property, you also have:

HOMEWOOD SUITES DULLES

2185 FOX MILL ROAD
HERNDON, VA 20171
Old Aug 8, 2002, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Fox Mill road is now Sunrise Valley Road, it can be very confusing since FM Rd is still quoted in most books.. including the Hyatts..

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doc:
---

If you want a newer property, you also have:

HOMEWOOD SUITES DULLES

2185 FOX MILL ROAD
HERNDON, VA 20171
</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.