Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Breckenridge {US-CO}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Breckenridge {US-CO}

Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
Beware of Mountain View Rooms

Staying currently at this hotel.

Only staying one night but purchased a Mountain View room (wife traveling with me for a change). I did not realize that the hotel does not face the ski hill and the mountain is one on the other side of the valley (doesn't almost every room have that view).

The room also has a long corridor (6x12) before you get to the sliders, so you can't see any mountain from within the room.

And finally, the main view we have is of the front entrance with its light and noise.

I talked to the front desk but they won't do anything. Seems their "make it right" is just more marketing BS.

Don't pay extra for the non-existent mountain view.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mustang1
So how was your stay?
Fine, this hotel is just a normal DT. No super great treatment. Was able to get an exception for 4 breakfast coupons. Location is good as a walk across the lot gets you to the lifts. Overall nice stay, but nothing special. As other posters said elevators slow slow slow. Take the stairs if you can.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Any recent experiences at this hotel?

I'm looking to use my $250 Aspire credit. This hotel and the Doubletree in Vail are the two places I'm looking at. Family of six (all kids under 8), probably stay just one night.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Blind and Green
Any recent experiences at this hotel?

I'm looking to use my $250 Aspire credit. This hotel and the Doubletree in Vail are the two places I'm looking at. Family of six (all kids under 8), probably stay just one night.
We stayed there last weekend; the 2 King rooms were perfect for our family. Breakfast (free for diamonds) was outstanding.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG SA
What's the best contacting email for Breck DT?

Happy holidays!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Just drove back home to northern Colorado after a short stay at the Breckenridge Doubletree. It's classified as a Hilton Resort, but IMO in the summer it's just a hotel. It maybe a nice place to stay when skiing, but there's no place on the property to lounge outside read and enjoy the Colorado sun. Breakfast was quite good. No parking options other than valet at $25 per day.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P, PC Platinum, HH Diamond
Avoid, Avoid, Avoid

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Breckenridge

1 Review | 0% Recommended

550 Village Road Breckenridge, CO US 80424

Avoid, Avoid, Avoid (0 Photo)

Check In

Check in was ok, but this was the first inkling that this wasn't going to be a great stay--the front desk clerk informed me that there is no AC in the hotel, instead, our room would have 2 fans.  Hmm. Seems like this would be prominently displayed on the hotel webpage.  But, temps were in the low 70s; so this shouldn't be a problem.  Booked 2 queens with a sofabed and balcony. Was not offered an upgrade (you can get the same room with 2 kings).

Room

Room was dingy and dirty, although a good size.  The issue was a lack of lighting.  One floor lamp near the sofabed, one lamp (single lightbulb) between the 2 queens, and 2 overhead lights above the sink/fridge, one of which was burned out.  Carpet was very dirty and wallpaper was torn.

Tub drain was clogged.  This is something that housekeeping should have known about, but clearly didn't care (a theme among the staff).  Maintenance didn't fix until the following morning.  There also were only 2 bath towels, even though I had 4 people listed on the reservation.

Only 1 fan in the room, and the cord wasn't long enough to put in front of the screen door to pull in the cool mountain air (we were on the 6th floor).  If it had been 10 degrees hotter outside, the room would have been unbearable.

Not part of the room, but the pool is closed due to "COVID".  Bull.  They've walled it off and are using it store furniture.  There are 3 small hot tubs outside.  You do have access to an outside pool in the neighborhood, which is about 2 blocks away.  I pointed out to the front desk that they really should remove the pictures of the pool off their website.

Dining

Dining was not good.  As a Diamond, I got $30/day credit, which was not enough for me and my wife to eat breakfast at the bistro.  Forget about eating in the dining room with your credit.  I will say one of the baristas at the bistro was incredibly nice.

One late afternoon, we went to the bar to take advantage of the $5 Breckenridge Brews advertised for $5 from 4-6.  Bartender had no idea what I was talking about.  I told him to read the big sign outside the restauarant.  He came back and said he didn't know what that was.  I went to the front desk--they had no clue; so we left.

Breckenridge is very nice, and the hotel is a short walk to downtown, and there is a free shuttle that passes the hotel, with the stops within easy walking distance.

Overall

Really disappointing experience.  It was so bad, that I actually complained to Hilton, which I never do.  I was offered 10,000 points, but the point of my complaint was not the points, I wanted someone to know how bad this hotel is.  It is absolutely the worst Doubletree I've ever stayed in. I wish we had looked at other options because we could have rented a 2 bedroom townhome for less than we paid for our hotel room.

The management clearly doesn't care and hasn't trained their employees at all.  I'd avoid this hotel.

Avoid, Avoid, Avoid

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Breckenridge?

No, thank you.
Yes
Uriah Heep likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Stayed at DT Breck (managed by Vail Resorts) 1-2 weeks ago. Very unpleasant experience prior to check-in with trying to request a room in a specific area of the hotel, unanswered voicemails and emails, no help with speaking with 2 different front desk agents prior to check-in, never able to speak with a manager during 4-5 calls prior to the stay and also during the 5 night stay. Was put in a room far from where I wanted to be.

Wrote a verbose email and sent it late Saturday night to many people; hotel manager, assistant manager, director of rooms, Vail Resorts CEO, Breckenridge COO. Received a reply an hour later from Vail Resorts Hospitality COO, who had the email forwarded by and discussed it with Vail Resorts CEO. Just spoke with him for 45 minutes (while I’m at Hyatt Place Park City).

He agreed that my original request was reasonable and that the hotel’s response was terrible. Long story short, he’s going to ensure the hotel refunds 3 nights.

But, most importantly (as was mentioned to me a few times while I was at the hotel) immediately after ski season the hotel will commence a significant renovation. The hotel staff told me it would be rebranded as a Conrad, the Hospitality COO told me it would be rebranded as a Curio by Hilton. Nothing they can do about the convoluted floor layout and multiple elevators (it’s built on the side of a hill).

Stay last week was otherwise similar to other recent reviews: great location (for skiing Breck), dated property in need of refurbishment, worker bee staff excellent, no bedbugs or mold (as was recently reported in some reviews). Excellent Diamond breakfast benefit; full breakfast buffet including omelet station.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Mar 12, 2023 at 5:21 pm Reason: typo correction
Old Jul 7, 2023, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
... The hotel staff told me it would be rebranded as a Conrad, the Hospitality COO told me it would be rebranded as a Curio by Hilton...
Looks like it will be a Curio.

Notice on their website:

Hotel Renovations / Amenities Closed

Renovation construction has begun. Services are limited to lodging accommodations and a limited complimentary continental breakfast. Thank you for your patience as we transform into a CURIO property!
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:19 am

Looking at booking this hotel for next ski season (first week of April) - points are silly high I think 70,000 for a stay vs 220 cash price. Will the renovations be done then? Are hot tubs easily accessed? what bout ski storage? and how far walk to the slopes?

thanks
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Just called the hotel. Renovation is in progress, currently main lobby and Aspen Elevators (closest to Beaver Run) and restaurants are not open. Breakfast is “grab and go”. “Expecting” all 3 areas to re-open in the next few weeks. Rooms are being renovated on a rolling basis, not all at once. Room numbers to stay the same. Rebranding as Curio expected in September 2024.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AF gold, HHdiamond
Planning a stay in a month from now. Do you know if the hotel offers lift pass ackages? Trying ways to save from the currently lift single day pass of 203$ day pp....
Old Jan 20, 2024, 2:31 pm

If you are going to ski Breck or Vail, buy the Epic Pass in advance. It is the only cost-effective way to ski.

Originally Posted by lacoca
Planning a stay in a month from now. Do you know if the hotel offers lift pass ackages? Trying ways to save from the currently lift single day pass of 203$ day pp....
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:44 pm

By far the least expensive way to ski Epic Pass resorts is a Military Epic Pass ($169 this season) but there’s probably not enough time for you to join the Navy and get a Military ID . $203/day actually isn’t too bad, I skied Park City 2 weeks ago, asked about walk-up daily ticket prices, was told $299/day.

Epic Pass sales end in the late fall, if you know by then you’ll be skiing an applicable resort for 4-5 or more days during the upcoming ski season it’s probably cost effective to buy an Epic Pass.

4-5 years ago I was fortunate in finding a ticket office manager at Breckenridge to sell me a Military Epic Pass (during it’s first season) in February after skiing Park City a few weeks earlier and paying for a daily Military discounted (~50%) lift ticket for 4 days which the Breck agent managed to credit toward my Epic Pass purchase resulting in a credit to my credit card of ~$100. That was after a bunch of unproductive emails to Vail and Epic Pass after skiing Park City (where I learned of the new Military Epic Pass). Needless to say I was VERY pleasantly surprised and VERY appreciative. Point is, it was possible to buy an Epic Pass a few years ago when they were “no longer available” although I believe that was a very rare exception.

Without an Epic Pass, the most reliable way to buy less expensive ticket(s) is online advance purchase. Those with a non-Military Epic Pass will have “Ski With a Friend (SWAF)” passes and “Buddy” passes available which might be less expensive than advance purchase tickets. Years ago those who live near Breck and Colorado residents could get some sort of local or state discount.

2 days ago I booked 5 night award at DT Breck for next week (1/22-1/27), I’ll try to remember to ask about lift ticket purchases at the front desk and report back here. Unfortunately recent TripAdvisor reviews are not encouraging. When I called a few days ago, I was told lobby and restaurant renovations were finished a few weeks ago, pool and fitness center and hot tubs still closed, rooms not yet renovated, current rates are reflective of incomplete renovations toward rebranding as a Curio. (I saw ~ $260/night compared to ~$400-500/night last ski season.) Might just test my theory that ski resort lodging is just a bed and a shower (and maybe breakfast) .

DT Breck last year was managed by or affiliated with Vail Resorts (so they might have some way to buy less expensive tickets). Last year I wrote an email to several Vail Resorts managers regarding an infuriating 5 night experience at DT Breck for which I had redeemed 280K HH points. I received a reply from a Vail Resorts Director of Hospitality, ended up speaking with him a week or 2 later while I was at Park City and he subsequently directed the hotel to compensate me with a HH Service Recovery Bonus of 280K HH points.

(This post from a year ago addresses this same question and also has interesting information regarding Vail Resorts long standing generosity to Military personnel and why for the 10th anniversary of the Epic Pass they started offering a Military Epic Pass.)
Old Jan 23, 2024, 6:14 pm

Do you know if the hotel offers lift pass ackages?
Here now, arrived two days ago, skied today. Asked at front desk, they do not sell lift tickets, told to ask the Breck Sports store which is now (post renovation) located on the second floor next to the ski and boot valet, one floor below the lobby. Asked there, they do not sell lift tickets, they recommended advance online purchase at the time of online ski rental for a discount.

New lobby and restaurant and two bars, one in the lobby and one in the restaurant, look very nice. Rooms are unchanged from the past few years. Unfortunately the management team remains completely unresponsive and uncaring. All sorts of signs and warnings from front desk agents about not wearing ski boots in the lobby. Management attitude makes this hotel an unappealing embarrassment. Very pleased to be using some Hilton Honors points and not my hard earned $$$.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.