Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points & Elite Benefits When Booking Through Third-Party?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2001, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Both my fiance and I are gold but I have already completed my 4 stays for the latest promotion. If we book a room with her HH number and pay for it with my Amex will she get the double points or does she have to pay with her card?? Sorry if this has been asked already and thanks in advance.
Old Jun 20, 2001, 10:16 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As long as someone pays the bill, you will get credit...
Old Jun 20, 2001, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
There is no problem with the person paying the bill not being you. All of my stays are for corporate travel and are charged to a corporate credit card that's not in my name.
Old Jun 20, 2001, 4:10 pm
ed

It's not true that as long as someone pays the bill that you will get the points. Rooms billed to a master account do not accrue points. For example, a company books and pays for 50 rooms for its customers for a users conference. The customers staying in the rooms don't get points.

I'm still trying to figure out if you can at least get stay credit towards elite level in this situation. My posts regarding this haven't been answered by anyone knowledgeable and my e-mail to HHonors hasn't been answered yet.
thirdpassport likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2001, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by ed:
It's not true that as long as someone pays the bill that you will get the points. Rooms billed to a master account do not accrue points. For example, a company books and pays for 50 rooms for its customers for a users conference. The customers staying in the rooms don't get points.

I'm still trying to figure out if you can at least get stay credit towards elite level in this situation. My posts regarding this haven't been answered by anyone knowledgeable and my e-mail to HHonors hasn't been answered yet.
</font>
In situations where my company paid the bill on a master account, I still got full credit for the room rate.

Old Jun 20, 2001, 11:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by kenk:
Both my fiance and I are gold but I have already completed my 4 stays for the latest promotion. If we book a room with her HH number and pay for it with my Amex will she get the double points or does she have to pay with her card?? Sorry if this has been asked already and thanks in advance.</font>
Direct billing to a company is always eligible for credit. That is 90% of business travel. Master billing where a company pays for 50 rooms and you are in one of them are not eligible as the rate being paid for that room is considerably low due to the discount being given by the hotel. The rule of thumb is that the HH Member must be the registered paying guest to receive credit. Otherwise people would be loaning their card to their neighbors to use to try to get credit, which does not work.

Old Jun 21, 2001, 5:52 am
Original Poster

I want to use my AMEX to pay to trigger the double points but I am using her HH # on the reservation. She will be with me. Will she get the credit for the stay?? Thanks

[This message has been edited by kenk (edited 06-21-2001).]
Old Jun 21, 2001, 10:21 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
I have stayed at Hiltons and Hampton Inn's for business conferences where the compny booked a block of rooms. I've always received my points.
Old Jun 21, 2001, 8:21 pm
ed

Adam, would you please clarify the policy regarding master billing and HH points and stay credit? Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2001, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems like this topic is still pretty unanswered, I will be staying at a Hilton in london quite a lot and the room is being booked by the person I am travelling with is also paying for the rooms on an amex. According to the helpdesk I will not get credit as I am not paying for the room.... I find this strange as the room is being paid for, just not by me... According to the helpdesk is is not even possible to put the room on my name which would mean both rooms are on my collegues name (true, saw it last time..) although only one room will receive credit....
Old Jun 29, 2001, 6:56 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by chix:
In situations where my company paid the bill on a master account, I still got full credit for the room rate.
</font>
Me too.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop
Old Jun 29, 2001, 8:18 pm
DOC 2 BE

KENK --

In answer to YOUR question -- yes.

As long as someone uses an AMEX it should be fine. I do not recall seeing that the AMEX must be registered to the one who receives the points. As you used the word "trigger," it appears that you are aware that the first stay does not earn the double points bonus.

The only thing that I would add it that if you have a Hilton AMEX card, she would recieve the credit towards the Twist promo, and you would still score 5 points/$ spent, as it would be at a Hilton. Moreover, if DOC is correct, in July, that will be 10 points/$ at the hotels!

Old Jan 9, 2002, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Getting points when somebody else pays?

Just over a month ago I stayed at a Hilton property with 2 friends. One of these friends paid; however, we gave them my HHonors #, which they accepted. I've not gotten the points yet (HHonors or the airline miles). I wasn't sure if the person receiving the points had to be the same one paying. Does anyone know? thx tls
Old Jan 9, 2002, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT (1MM); SPG GLD
My wife visited a friend down in San Diego last June; they hung out at the Hilton - the pool, the spa, no kids eytc. Upon checkout, my wife discovered that her friend's father had already paid the bill, as a gift to them.

She did end up getting the points (hurray!), but had to call the property, get another copy of the bill and fax it in to customer service.
Old Jan 9, 2002, 3:17 pm

My experience is that it depends. I have travelled with my wife where she has paid but we have used my HHonors #. Sometimes I get points, sometimes not. Since I have always felt I wasn't really entitled to the points since she was paying (really, her company was paying), I never tried to get credit when it wasn't automatically given to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.