Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Old May 27, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
As I understand it, AMEX offers a once per lifetime signup bonus for each card, burning your Surpass now suggests no targeted offer, believe it is better to wait for a sure thing.
Ah, I've already received the Surpass bonus in the past by upgrading (and have since downgraded). So that ship has already sailed. May never see an offer without that once per lifetime clause again, so may as well try.

UPDATE: It worked. Got the 100K points.

Last edited by Moorea; May 29, 2017 at 11:44 am
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Any idea how to get the upgrade offer to trigger? I have two no-fee Amex cards, one that I had, and another I got via the conversion from Citi. I've been holding on to both waiting and waiting and waiting for the upgrade offer. Any idea why I don't get offered?

Datapoints:
Holding 2 amex no fee
Both over a year old (but one is from the Citi changeover which was January)
Low credit limits: I dropped the CL to like $1500 on each card. Maybe I need a higher CL to trigger the upgrade?
Have 3rd AMEX Hilton card in the Aspire
Don't use the no-AF cards they're just sitting around.

Any ideas how to get the upgrade?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:04 pm

Is Amex no longer doing Surpass upgrade offers? I have two no-fee HH cards (one of which began life as a Surpass & has been through a full downgrade/re-upgrade/downgrade cycle) & haven’t seen an upgrade offer on either in quite some time. Ditto for the no-fee HH card belonging to my DW, who has never held the Surpass. (For the record, I know better than to upgrade her before doing a conventional sign-up.)
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by beltway
Is Amex no longer doing Surpass upgrade offers? I have two no-fee HH cards (one of which began life as a Surpass & has been through a full downgrade/re-upgrade/downgrade cycle) & haven’t seen an upgrade offer on either in quite some time. Ditto for the no-fee HH card belonging to my DW, who has never held the Surpass. (For the record, I know better than to upgrade her before doing a conventional sign-up.)
Around Nov/Dec timeframe, Amex has a widespread upgrade offers for Aspire, with an amazing reduced AF offers ($0/$95/$450): $0 annual fee for first 12 months, $95 AF pro rata for the remaining 2nd cardmember year, and then the usual $450 AF. No bonus points however.
Noobs, after upgrade, then got spoofed when Amex's usual upgrade paperwork did not spell these details exactly. They started calling Amex and arguing with CSR about this deal. As a result, it appeared Amex removed all Surpass/Aspire ONLINE upgrades for about 2 weeks, meaning you cannot even upgrade online without talking to an agent.
On some of my accounts, I do see upgrade capability is back. But no bonus or special offers that I am aware of.

For more details on above drama, see the comments of this : https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...af-first-year/
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
Around Nov/Dec timeframe, Amex has a widespread upgrade offers for Aspire, with an amazing reduced AF offers ($0/$95/$450): $0 annual fee for first 12 months, $95 AF pro rata for the remaining 2nd cardmember year, and then the usual $450 AF. No bonus points however.
Noobs, after upgrade, then got spoofed when Amex's usual upgrade paperwork did not spell these details exactly. They started calling Amex and arguing with CSR about this deal. As a result, it appeared Amex removed all Surpass/Aspire ONLINE upgrades for about 2 weeks, meaning you cannot even upgrade online without talking to an agent.
On some of my accounts, I do see upgrade capability is back. But no bonus or special offers that I am aware of.

For more details on above drama, see the comments of this : https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...af-first-year/
Thanks. To be clearer, I meant upgrade offers with bonus points. I see the standard upgrade option, but there’s no sweetener.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by beltway
Called Amex on a separate issue and at the end was offered to upgrade the no fee card to the Surpass - $3k spend in 3 months and get 150k points. I took the offer.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by jamflyer
Called Amex on a separate issue and at the end was offered to upgrade the no fee card to the Surpass - $3k spend in 3 months and get 150k points. I took the offer.
My no-fee HH has been in the sock drawer for a while but recently took a trip abroad and when we returned I got this paltry upgrade offer that I will not be accepting:

Earn 50,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points

with the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card after you upgrade and spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 6 months of Card Membership
jamflyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:05 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by flew-d-coop
My no-fee HH has been in the sock drawer for a while but recently took a trip abroad and when we returned I got this paltry upgrade offer that I will not be accepting:

Earn 50,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points

with the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card after you upgrade and spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 6 months of Card Membership
Are you holding out for a better offer? It seems the better offers that were plentiful a few years ago have dried up. If others are seeing better upgrade offers on the regular, please let me know. I'd love to be wrong about this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Are you holding out for a better offer? It seems the better offers that were plentiful a few years ago have dried up. If others are seeing better upgrade offers on the regular, please let me know. I'd love to be wrong about this.
I'm seeing exactly that offer. And i think I'm going to pull the trigger.
My only question is - is it possible to then upgrade to Aspire from the upgrade to Surpass (provided I get the offer, of course)? Has anybody done this before?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue
I'm seeing exactly that offer. And i think I'm going to pull the trigger.
My only question is - is it possible to then upgrade to Aspire from the upgrade to Surpass (provided I get the offer, of course)? Has anybody done this before?
Do you already have a Surpass and it's an upgrade to a second one? I got a first Surpass since the regular SUB is better than the Upgrade offer. But I'd upgrade my no fee card to a second Surpass and put $15k on it if I got the 50k upgrade offer.

It would mean 95k points (6.33/$) plus an FNC on the second Surpass.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:15 pm

No, I just have the "no fee" basic card. And I just tried the offer and I got this:

We apologize that the offer you are looking for may no longer be available.

: (

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.