Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Booking a longer stay than needed to obtain better rate?

Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:31 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta

I call on the collected HHONORS-illuminati to see if anyone's done this one successfully:

I have a reservation upcoming where I had to D-force the four-night stay, the only Diamond-48hr rate available was mega-expensive over those nights.

For giggles, I checked to see if the cost for those days had gone down, or new room blocks opened up, that sort of thing.

Looking at the availability calendar gave me the idea to check a few days before and after... and found that a rate way lower than my Diamond-48 that was bookable, but only if I booked it to start a couple days before I actually needed the room... but the total bill for a six-night stay at the good rate was still a few hundred dollars less than the total bill for the four-night stay I had booked earlier.

Question: If you e-check-in, but don't actually show up for another day, leaving the room "checked in" but vacant, would one lose the entire reservation? I'd imagine they'd charge (as I would expect and want), but hold the reservation, just like when you have a missed airline connection that doesn't allow you to make your room, etc.

Anyone make this happen before successfully?

I don't want to cancel one reservation and make the other until I know this works...

TDM
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Question: If you e-check-in, but don't actually show up for another day, leaving the room "checked in" but vacant, would one lose the entire reservation? I'd imagine they'd charge (as I would expect and want), but hold the reservation, just like when you have a missed airline connection that doesn't allow you to make your room, etc.
My first inclination would be the reverse. If you didn't show up to pick your keys up that first day they would void the reservation and charge you whatever the penalty is (as stated in your confirmation).

I would think the only way to preserve this reservation would be if you called the hotel and explain that your flight was canceled and you would be arriving a day late. Then it would be a YMMV situation where the hotel may take mercy on you and let you come a day late or may not ....

However, having said all that, unless it is a real emergency or reason why you can't make it on day 1 to the hotel, I wouldn't suggest trying this because I am a believer that something like this can bite you in the butt in the future ... i.e. when you really have a problem the next hotel you ask for leniency will deny your request because they were 'scammed' one too many times but other people taking advantage.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Yeah, it seems like the consensus is that you have to be there to physically check in. There's a thread somewhere that details a way around this an FTer found - have his dad, who has the exact same name on his ID, check in for him. But if you can't do this, I think you're out of luck.

Can you book the room a day or two past the date you need, and just leave early?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It will probably change based on the hotel, but if you don't show up I would guess they would charge you whatever the penalty is and cancel the reservation.

Lots of excuses you can use to show up a day late, but a couple of days the hotel may not really believe you.

It's also pretty sad a Diamond Force can't get around the minimum stay for the rate.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If you have a friend in that city, add his/her name to the reservation and have him/her check in for the start of the cheap stay.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I've gone the leaving early route to secure a better rate but never the check-in early route. It will be interesting to see how this works out for you.

Good luck.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
If you don't show up, the hotel will "no show" you. You will lose your additional nights.

See if the rate applies checking in the day you want, checking out a few days after. I generally have better luck on this one depending on the hotel. Beware of early departure fees. Also remember that since you D-forced, you are already on the radar......YMMV.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
just call the hotel directly....tell them what you're finding and ask them to help you out - you might be pleasantly surprised.....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
What do you think would happen if it's the other way round: you book 1 night too many but check out a day early ? Would they just charge you for the day you don't use or would they retroactively change the rates for the entire stay ?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by huegli
What do you think would happen if it's the other way round: you book 1 night too many but check out a day early ? Would they just charge you for the day you don't use or would they retroactively change the rates for the entire stay ?

your rate would not be changed. it was confirmed already, correct? so, you would likely encounter a charge for the night you were not staying, unless you were meeting the cancellation policy when you decided to check out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.