Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Colon Quito {ECU}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Just wanted to follow up on this thread...has anyone stayed there recently? Do they still have the free airport transportation?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Just wanted to follow up on this thread...has anyone stayed there recently? Do they still have the free airport transportation?
You mean in the last six or seven years?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You mean in the last six or seven years?
Yes Didnt see any point in starting a new thread for the same topic.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: Lots
I stayed twice about a year and a half ago. Don't recall hearing or seeing about any free airport transfer. I think it was about $15. Or for the more adventurous the articulated bus system has stops near both the airport and the hotel, that costs about $0.50.

As a gold I was upgraded both times, although the second time I had to ask if any rooms were available. There's a decent breakfast up on one of the top floors, pretty standard for hotels in Latin America.

Evening snacks and booze were in the lounge which was down on the entry level - nothing like any of the offerings in the Asian lounges but still pretty good.

Location is pretty good - about a 20-30 minute walk to the historical district, and the buses are just behind the hotel if you want to take them anywhere. Or taxis are relatively cheap to get around Quito. I was there on vacation and really enjoyed the city, there is some amazing architecture there (mostly churches). Hotel is fine, pretty good value for the rate.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Recent 2 different stays:

Pro:

- Decently located
- Rooms are clean with comfortable beds
- Executive lounge staff are helpful when there is anyone there
- Upgraded to a suite

Con:

- Front desk is pretty arrogant and less than honest. At check-out I had a prepaid charge for flowers and wine that were already taken care of. They tried to add additional taxes that needed much argument and email verification to have them removed. the second check-in I was given a poor room on a middle floor of which I was told it was better than my first one (1863). After going back to the desk I asked for a better room away from the elevators that was met with a poor attitude stating no other rooms were available (same person with the tax issue) that eventually was settled by the manager and was placed back in the original suite.

- Executive lounge offerings were poor and understaffed. They did their best but really was of limited and poor quality for food and drink. There was 30 people one night with one staff for the food, drinks, and reception.

- Room. There was never any attempt for turn down or room check after the initial morning cleaning.

It's fairly cheap with points or C&P but the hotel desk service comes off as disinterested and deceiving and is relatively poor for an international Hilton.

Shared shuttle to the airport is $20, taxi $30.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: United 1K; HHonors Diamond; IHG Spire
I just had a weekend stay there. It was a delightful hotel, especially at just 20k/night. As others have mentioned, it's close enough to everything in Quito (a giant, sprawling city), without being too close. Taxis were $26/$30 from/to the airport, $4 to the Old City and the Museo Guyasamin, and $2 to the bars and clubs of the Plaza Foch.

I was upgraded without asking for it, the internet worked just fine, and while the breakfasts weren't anything incredibly, they did the job well. The room was quite spacious: large living room, two bathrooms, and comfortable bedroom. (I was in the lower tower directly to the left when you walk in instead of the 20 or so story tower to the right).

Considering this is your only Hilton option in Ecuador, you could do much worse. I considered it a great use of Hilton points.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jeffery352
I just had a weekend stay there. It was a delightful hotel, especially at just 20k/night. As others have mentioned, it's close enough to everything in Quito (a giant, sprawling city), without being too close. Taxis were $26/$30 from/to the airport, $4 to the Old City and the Museo Guyasamin, and $2 to the bars and clubs of the Plaza Foch.

I was upgraded without asking for it, the internet worked just fine, and while the breakfasts weren't anything incredibly, they did the job well. The room was quite spacious: large living room, two bathrooms, and comfortable bedroom. (I was in the lower tower directly to the left when you walk in instead of the 20 or so story tower to the right).

Considering this is your only Hilton option in Ecuador, you could do much worse. I considered it a great use of Hilton points.
Er, what about the Hilton Colón Guayaquil?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Hello,

any recent stays here? I will be there for 2 nights in 10 days and I have seen that they are refurbishing the EL, where do they offer breakfast? Evening drinks?

Thanks,
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Sure looks like the EL is under construction into next month now....I am going to be there soon as well so interested in this too.....looks like taxi is fixed rate and around $30-$40....I saw that this hotel is near bus terminals but I don't think it is the tourist class buses and regular buses have more limited hours.....
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
I liked this hotel a lot, given its great value at 20k points/night. As others have mentioned, the location is great. I wasn't a big fan of the front desk staff, they just didn't seem to care at all, including the concierge.

However, its good that they are refurbishing the EL. It is a really weird layout, with one room connecting to another. The staff there was detached to a fault, and service was very spotty and the suggested timings of evening drinks/snacks seemed to be just mere suggestions, and they put things out whenever they felt like it.

If the EL is undergoing renovation, I hope it also comes with a retraining of the staff.

Edit: I stayed here in October 2016.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:41 pm

Thanks for the info.

Last year taxi from the airport was 25 USD IIRC.

I will revert after my visit re. EL, etc
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:22 pm

cool, thanks for the updates folks
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:21 am

Hello all,

just checked out from a 2 night stay.

Taxi from the airport 26 USD and, if you use the same company, on the way back they charge 20 USD.

While the refurbishment of the EL takes place, they offer full breakfast at the Colon Cafe(probably it was also offered when the EL was in full operation but I do not remember well from previous stays, as I did not use it).
Also there is a small lounge next to the reception(La Pinta lounge) where they offer soft drinks/coffee, fruit, biscuits,...from 11am to 9pm and evening snacks together with wine, beer,...from 6pm to 8pm or similar.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:00 pm

Thanks guys. I also got a $25 USD fixed rate to the hotel with the $20 USD card if you use the same company (about a 30 minute ride at 10:30PM). Funny thing is we told the taxi stand "Hilton Quito" 2-3 times and then told our taxi driver "Hilton Quito" 2-3 times and everyone acted like we were on the same page....until we arrived for drop-off at "Hotel Quito" which was definitely not the Hilton but luckily was only about 5 minutes away. The driver knew this property as Hilton Colon....so I advise actually showing everyone the address you want to go to, as it could get lost in translation. Driver was very nice about the mix-up and I gave him an extra $5 since it was more our fault than theirs.

The property is nice in the lobby and in the room but the bathroom is 1980's, and we both had to do squats underneath the 4-foot tall shower head in the tub. They have a nice long list of amenities for Diamond members. We didn't get a room upgrade, and oddly enough the breakfast buffet was wide open to everyone with no one seating guests or bringing checks or asking for room numbers. Didn't have time to visit the lounge.

It was a great value for points (20,000 or about $85 by my valuation) but way too expensive at their regular rates ($175 for our days).
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by PGHflyer
They have a nice long list of amenities for Diamond members. We didn't get a room upgrade, and oddly enough the breakfast buffet was wide open to everyone with no one seating guests or bringing checks or asking for room numbers.
In my visit they asked for room numbers when entering in the Cafe Colon and I think that guests that did not have the breakfast included or complimentary, had to sign a check.

Regarding upgrades, I received a room "plus" which was quite big. In my previous visit I got a suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.