Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: A few
this is horrible. i converted 150k aa miles to this currency which is now utter trash. never been hit so hard by a devaluation anywhere anytime.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yoyo
+8 now that my 8 night award stay has been devalued to 1 night.
My thinking exactly. As I write this from a Doubletree Suites in Plymouth Meeting, PA, I wonder if this will be considered a "Premium" hotel because it has two rooms (old Embassy Suites)?

Called the Diamond desk, they did confirm the absurd point requirements for the Hilton Moorea, Bora Bora, Hilton Waikola, Hilton Barbados and even the Caribe Hilton in PR. All hotels I am interested in, so this appears to be the new reality.

If this sticks, this is absolutely a deal breaker for me. I can understand a 10% point incase, hell even a 50% increase. To double or triple points requirements, or more, absolutely absurd. I would be curious as to how the points values compare to Starwood SPG and Marriott Rewards? I only redeem Marriott Points for a few nights at a Residence Inn or Courtyard in a random place from time to time - so I am out of tune with that program. Converted all of my SPG points to AA miles. Original plan was to shoot for 7 or 8 nights at the Hilton Moorea next Xmas and use my AA miles for some TN J class tix. Funny, the AA miles might get me there, maybe I can sleep on the beach and bathe in the ocean?

Anyways, I would suggest a massive blast to Hilton. If people only post here and do not contact Hilton corporate, no one at Hilton will care. Also might want to write to the "Middle Seat" Column at the WSJ about this. I can say my next few stays suddenly became Marriott stays. Canceled Hilton without a thought.

My Hilton Suprass renews in Feb, I guess I should stop throwing out those offers for Starwood and Marriott CC"s?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by zfxr
My thinking exactly. As I write this from a Doubletree Suites in Plymouth Meeting, PA, I wonder if this will be considered a "Premium" hotel because it has two rooms (old Embassy Suites)?

Called the Diamond desk, they did confirm the absurd point requirements for the Hilton Moorea, Bora Bora, Hilton Waikola, Hilton Barbados and even the Caribe Hilton in PR. All hotels I am interested in, so this appears to be the new reality.
Caribe Hilton still has a lot of 50K points availability.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lewende
Caribe Hilton still has a lot of 50K points availability.
Good to know! Thanks for the update. I wonder how much of this is IT issues or changes in the program? No communications makes this even worse. Would be nice to know what the new rules are?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by zfxr
Good to know! Thanks for the update. I wonder how much of this is IT issues or changes in the program? No communications makes this even worse. Would be nice to know what the new rules are?
I decided to burn 290K on 8 nights at Los Cabos. They sent me two AXON7 rewards in my email but ask me to check back tomorrow to book the rooms since right now there is no room available. They said it will open up tomorrow or next couple of days even though I highly doubt it. Does anyone know if it turns out to be true that from tomorrow on Los Cabos Hilton makes all the rooms premium rooms, these two rewards will still be useless or can I insist on getting my 37.k per night there? I was still sad for losing Bora Bora but now I am just trying to book all I can when they still have some value.

Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:39 pm

I decided to burn 290K on 8 nights at Los Cabos. They sent me two AXON7 rewards in my email but ask me to check back tomorrow to book the rooms since right now there is no room available. They said it will open up tomorrow or next couple of days even though I highly doubt it. Does anyone know if it turns out to be true that from tomorrow on Los Cabos Hilton makes all the rooms premium rooms, these two rewards will still be useless or can I insist on getting my 37.k per night there? I was still sad for losing Bora Bora but now I am just trying to book all I can when they still have some value.

Thanks.
I doubt Los Cabos will follow suite after BBN - it is a not that expensive property anyway, where the standard room rate is around $150-$300 per night with dozens of them available. I would hardly imagine Los Cabos will run out of standard room at the end of day.

In addition, Los Cabos has over 100 resorts by all major chains. Hilton LC will want your business a lot more than Hilton BBN does.

Being said that, Hilton LC is a great resort and I love it, definitely a great destination for a romantic getaway!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:48 pm

I doubt Los Cabos will follow suite after BBN - it is a not that expensive property anyway, where the standard room rate is around $150-$300 per night with dozens of them available. I would hardly imagine Los Cabos will run out of standard room at the end of day.

In addition, Los Cabos has over 100 resorts by all major chains. Hilton LC will want your business a lot more than Hilton BBN does.

Being said that, Hilton LC is a great resort and I love it, definitely a great destination for a romantic getaway!
LOL. I am panicking and not really know what to do but I feel like doing something is better than nothing. Looks like Hilton LC is a golf resort and I don't even play golf I am going with my kids so now I need to do some research on what to do there and arrange for flights. At least they told me I can always cancel the booking two weeks before departure without penalties.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:01 pm

LOL. I am panicking and not really know what to do but I feel like doing something is better than nothing. Looks like Hilton LC is a golf resort and I don't even play golf I am going with my kids so now I need to do some research on what to do there and arrange for flights. At least they told me I can always cancel the booking two weeks before departure without penalties.

Panic is totally understandable here...

Hilton LC has a very nice kids club and my kids had a lot of fun there.

Other than that, there are two towns nearby, Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo (the airport), where Hilton LC is strategically located in the middle of these two towns. It will be nice to walk on the century-old alleys with your kids.

I also like the snorkelling and fishing around The Arch. Anyway, you will find a lot of things to do, with your family.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Looking at the Hilton Perth (Australia), the website says there are no award rooms available any time. "This hotel has limited availability for HHonors Points around the dates you have selected" and the availability calendar shows it blacked-out, whatever month you select.

I just booked an award there last week so this is a new problem.

An IT bug? Or deliberate award-blocking?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I see a lot of people bolting for SPG, but that won't work for me. For those of us who have to travel to some really out of the way places (say, for instance, Junction City, KS), what chain are you going to? Marriott? PriorityClub?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Reply written to Hilton:

This is quite a disturbing and unwelcome change to the Hilton HHonors program. The massive devaluation for members wishing to redeem points at some of the most desirable properties in the Hilton portfolio is bad enough, however, almost as bad is the positive light that Hilton is trying to portray this change in. The ability to redeem points for premium rooms would seem positive on its face, however, with the obscene point levels required at many properties and the complete removal of standard point redemptions at many desirable properties, it is anything but. In fact, it is insulting to believe that Hilton believes its loyal elite customers are not intelligent enough to see this change for what it actually is - a huge devaluation of the HHonors program in general. It seems clear that the primary purpose of this change was less about giving options to your members and more about reducing the number of redemptions made at high value/demand properties. In addition, I fail to see how continuing to advertise the French Polynesia properties as Category 7 hotels is not a violation of truth in advertising laws since redemptions at the point levels for a Category 7 hotel are no longer possible.

Is there any Hilton standardized definition of what a Premium Room is or is the definition up to an individual hotel? What is to prevent more and more properties from categorizing most or all of their rooms as premium? What properties have already been switched to 100% premium rooms and what other ones are planned? This is the type of information that needs to be communicated to member for them to not feel quite so insulted by Hilton's underhanded and unadvertised change to the HHonors Program.

Respectfully,
jasonvr
HHonors Diamond #xxxx
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:24 pm

Panic is totally understandable here...

Hilton LC has a very nice kids club and my kids had a lot of fun there.

Other than that, there are two towns nearby, Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo (the airport), where Hilton LC is strategically located in the middle of these two towns. It will be nice to walk on the century-old alleys with your kids.

I also like the snorkelling and fishing around The Arch. Anyway, you will find a lot of things to do, with your family.
Thanks for the info. They love snorkeling and finishing! I suppose these area are safe, right? All these news of what has been going on in Mexico makes me a bit nervous.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by harryhv
Looking at the Hilton Perth (Australia), the website says there are no award rooms available any time. "This hotel has limited availability for HHonors Points around the dates you have selected" and the availability calendar shows it blacked-out, whatever month you select.

I just booked an award there last week so this is a new problem.

An IT bug? Or deliberate award-blocking?
40K HH points bet that it is the latter.

You know that used to be worth one night at category 7 Hilton.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:40 pm

Thanks for the info. They love snorkeling and finishing! I suppose these area are safe, right? All these news of what has been going on in Mexico makes me a bit nervous.
These tourist cities are very safe (e.g., Cancun, Los Cabos) per my own experience (stayed @ Hilton Cancun last X'mas and Hilton Los Cabos this May), but no guarantee...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
These tourist cities are very safe (e.g., Cancun, Los Cabos) per my own experience (stayed @ Hilton Cancun last X'mas and Hilton Los Cabos this May), but no guarantee...
Hilton Cancun is no more! It is now an Iberostar.

It is time to flood the social media with news of this massive Hilton point devaluation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.