Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Changes in "Premium Rooms" at Hilton Waikoloa

Back in December I booked 3 nights at the Hilton Waikoloa (for a June 2012 stay). Rate was 50K for standard room. Saw some of the "premium rooms" at redemption rates not worth messing with..

Decided to take a look at the cost of rooms yesterday in case we have family join us. And when I did I saw they had dropped the pricing of "premium rewards". Partial ocean view is 44.5K and ocean view is 48K. So I went ahead and changed my reservation to a partial ocean view and we were refunded the difference in points immediately. In addition, we are registered for the 30% back promotion for premium rooms. So our final price for the room will be about 31K after we get the points back.

Glad I checked it! Otherwise I would have been charged the 50K a night and nobody would have said a thing!!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sargenet
In addition, we are registered for the 30% back promotion for premium rooms. So our final price for the room will be about 31K after we get the points back.
which promo is this????
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:40 am

Hilton 30% points back promo

Originally Posted by Keyser
which promo is this????
https://hiltonhhonors.com/RewardsPro...s.aspx?Lang=EN

Here is the promo! Must sign up by end of January!!!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

thanks....
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must BOOK by the end of january.

Then its a wild new world of premium awards where you'll never know how many points you will need for your room and hotels will have 100% control.

Aspirational awards my foot.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:28 pm

Upon reading this thread today, I realized that with the promo, I could book the week I really wanted at the Arc de Triomphe property instead of the one I was settling for. After my points are refunded, it will cost about 21K more points for the week, but I can live with that. The main drawback is that the promo will tie up points that would have been used toward another booking early next year. I guess I'll have to live with those consquences too.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for some reason searches for award availability are coming up with zero results for me since this morning....every single property i search has no rooms available for redemption....anyone else having this problem????
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
anyone else having this problem????
Work ok for me at the moment.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wendySFO
Work ok for me at the moment.
working fine for me again....very strange....all day yesterday it was showing nothing available on points....
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:41 am

working fine for me again....very strange....all day yesterday it was showing nothing available on points....

I was able to book an award stay yesterday without any issues.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

Ack, getting an error and "we're updating our site" message right now.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
About 3-weeks ago I spent 38,000 points for one night in a corner suite at the Hampton Inn and Suites near Michigan Ave in Chicago for 2/4/12. last night I just appened to check the reservation and went in to see if the point cost was still the same. To my surprise a "premium night" had opened up for the same room, but at only 28,142 points, thus saving me almost 10,000 points. Had I not just randomly checked, I never would have saved the points. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to save the points, but frustrated that I have to police the site to ensure lower premium awards haven't opened up. The standard rom was still 38,000, but the premium room night was 28,142. I'm confused.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by boeing727
I'm confused.
You're not the only one...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:03 am

That is what happened with me at the Hilton Waikoloa....booked in December for a June stay....then they rolled out premium awards at lower rates than the standard award. Had I not checked I would have paid the standard rate and missed out on the promo they are having with points back for premium rooms.

I think this is something that is determined by each hotel. I also went over and checked the Hilton Hawaiian Village for the same time frame and they did not offer any premium rooms for less than the standard rate.

I did go directly to the Hilton Waikoloa website and there is a section for Hilton Honors members that details benefits on property. In the text of awards for the hotel the website mentions that there may be premium rooms available for less than the standard rate....

I think there were some changes made after Jan 1st and I highly recommend anyone who made award reservations to go back and check to see if there are better premium award rooms....
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by boeing727
About 3-weeks ago I spent 38,000 points for one night in a corner suite at the Hampton Inn and Suites near Michigan Ave in Chicago for 2/4/12. last night I just appened to check the reservation and went in to see if the point cost was still the same. To my surprise a "premium night" had opened up for the same room, but at only 28,142 points, thus saving me almost 10,000 points. Had I not just randomly checked, I never would have saved the points. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to save the points, but frustrated that I have to police the site to ensure lower premium awards haven't opened up. The standard rom was still 38,000, but the premium room night was 28,142. I'm confused.
As has been posted numerous times up thread, standard reward rates are fixed depending on the hotel category (with two different seasonal rates at W=As only). Premium reward rates are some multiple of the cash price, so if they are particularly low they may be better value than standard rewards.

Don't forget to sign up for the rebate offer which will reduce your rate to 19,700 points per night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.