Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Also, if you look at the ADT, standard award availability is not very good. If you try a 2 night stay starting the beginning of May and ending the end of July, you come up with only 14 days (out of 90) where you can arrive and get a 2 night award.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by dwcatty
Here is another FTer's discovery of "no standard rooms available" at the ADT in Paris.

Frustrating!
As I posted on that thread:
Originally Posted by serfty
It's for reasons like changing 1 x 5 night booking that I try to do these as 5 x 1 night bookings - everything else being equal.

Of course may does not necessarily help in kymbakitty's situation unless at least one of the night was still available as as an award.
Of course, if using a GLON type award, this won't work.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by deant
Also, if you look at the ADT, standard award availability is not very good. If you try a 2 night stay starting the beginning of May and ending the end of July, you come up with only 14 days (out of 90) where you can arrive and get a 2 night award.
May-July is off-season in Paris and the hotel should indeed have several dozen rooms available every night. I would expect Point Stretcher awards to be offered during the last week of May and early June, nothing going on there as well...
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

ADT Paris is also a high demand property, it doesn't surprise me that availability is scarce. It has always been like this even before the introduction of the Premium Reward except now everything goes under the microscope due to what happened to Diamond Force. Same could be said about Rome Cavalieri. But the title of this thread clearly states "Premium Room Reward only at certain properties" and since this is not the case at ADT Paris, we should cease to give out misleading information that can easily confuse people who aren't as familiar as some others about HHonors awards.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
May-July is off-season in Paris and the hotel should indeed have several dozen rooms available every night. I would expect Point Stretcher awards to be offered during the last week of May and early June, nothing going on there as well...
Not to dispute your overall point and the general criticism here of the changes to the HH program, but isn't the French Open in late May? Might that influence availability around that time, or is it too small an event in the overall scheme of hotel availability in Paris?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ksf45632
The poster isn't saying that there aren't standard rooms available EVER, just not when they are traveling. Also, they already have a standard room and the agent would not switch them from a paid stay to an award stay which is why the poster was frustrated. They could always risk throwing the room out and re-booking as an award right away, but then they could lose their paid stay as well.
Also incorrect. Read it more closely. The OP already has a REWARD room booked on points for all five nights. They want to convert one of those points nights to a certificate (Q3FN I'm guessing). It really doesn't make any sense since they already have the room as an award and just want to change the "payment type". It would be like telling Hilton that they want to use a different credit card and then being told that they have to cancel the reservation to do it and there aren't anymore rooms so you can't do it (yes, it's a bit of a stretch, but still...)
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
I have to apologize ( again ) for not marking irony/sarcasm.

Historically, not only the French Open, but also the beginning of the invasion of tourists from the US ( starting slowly in May and peaking for the first time over Memorial Day ) result in high demand.

So aside from all those people visit Paris, a lot of people residing in Europe are moving around the continent for two long weekends ( Ascension Day and Whit Monday ) and this property used to sell lots of quantity via tour operators...

Not to mention that the regular business season is in full swing in Europe until it starts to slow for the summer break ( beginning in late June in Germany and late July in France )
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
No apology necessary for not clearly indicating your irony/sarcasm...if in fact you're not being sarcastic in apologizing here. As a native New Yorker I should have picked up on your tone. Perhaps I've been in California too long.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 5:42 am

Programs: IC Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, HH Diamond
Can I just add that the London Olympics starting at the end of July with delegations/sponsors arriving as early as mid June could also affect availability in Paris next year.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Also incorrect. Read it more closely. The OP already has a REWARD room booked on points for all five nights. They want to convert one of those points nights to a certificate (Q3FN I'm guessing). It really doesn't make any sense since they already have the room as an award and just want to change the "payment type". It would be like telling Hilton that they want to use a different credit card and then being told that they have to cancel the reservation to do it and there aren't anymore rooms so you can't do it (yes, it's a bit of a stretch, but still...)
You're right, my fault for skimming. While this situation is frustrating, I still don't think it relates to the premium room award changes unless that Hilton reclassed their standard rooms to a smaller pool of rooms. Frustrating, nonetheless.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I am glad to report I managed to get a Standard Redemption at the CDG Hilton for the dates I needed. I'm now down to 347 HH points and don't plan to earn many more so all is good on my end.
So what are folks going to do with odds & ends of points? I'm sitting on 140K, which would formerly have gone toward GLON in London maybe but with the deval...guess I could use 'em for a night at a Hampton Inn in Topeka.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Wow, I just discovered this. This is a massive fraud scheme. How this is not causing more outrage is beyond me .
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by attorney28
Wow, I just discovered this. This is a massive fraud scheme. How this is not causing more outrage is beyond me .
Just as it was with DL pulling similar stuff there are plenty of folks who refuse to see the facts and prefer to believe in "IT glitch", "temporary delay" etc. nonsense Hilton is feeding us.

If you value your points - stay away from Hilton.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by attorney28
Originally Posted by azepine00
Just as it was with DL pulling similar stuff there are plenty of folks who refuse to see the facts and prefer to believe in "IT glitch", "temporary delay" etc. nonsense Hilton is feeding us.

If you value your points - stay away from Hilton.
Too many people believe this is just an IT glitch, give them a few weeks and it'll all get better. Or simply, they haven't tried to redeem points yet.

1. I know better, I've seen DL and HH do the same.
2. I've frequently try to use my points. Already been seeing DL's TPAC award avail in J scam and now I can't do DSA anymore, I'm 100% outraged.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
So what are folks going to do with odds & ends of points? I'm sitting on 140K, which would formerly have gone toward GLON in London maybe but with the deval...guess I could use 'em for a night at a Hampton Inn in Topeka.
London hotels still seem to have plenty of standard rooms at a selection of random dates I picked, but the Olympics does screw things up next year. I was even able to see Diamond Forces.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.