Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Two Stays: Same Day, Same Person, Different Properties. Will I Get Credit for Both?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Stays: Same Day, Same Person, Different Properties. Will I Get Credit for Both?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
HELP PLS - Overlapping stay

I had two stays after each other at two locations/cities. Lets say May 4-6 and May 6-10, I had to extend the first stay by one day suddenly so I arrived later to the second hotel. I didnt adjust the second booking as I shared that room with a colleague who arrived in time and checked in but also if you cancel it late you need to pay one night anyway, so there was no point.

Now Hhonors doesnt want to credit me the second stay, not only the stay but no any points or nights staying I had an other stay "in the same time period".

This is wrong, I just had one overlapping night. No the entire time period. If they want to take that single night out not to have duplicate fine. But not the whole stay.

Where can I read about it in the T&C? I tried to check it and no luck. I heard about it in the forum here but not the details. Is it correct that they can take my whole second stay?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: HH diamond
If your colleagu checked in w/o you and you did NOT check in, you do not get credit. Happened to me. My friend checked in 3hrs before me. I bypassed the FD and we split the bill at checkout. I saw my name had been removed but was rushing to catch a flight and didn't have time to correct it right away. On f/u with the Diamond desk, I was told I did not get credit because I had not checked in. I sent in my half of the bill, but my name was not on the folio. Having the payment was not good enough. The name MUST be on the folio.
The T&C are very specific about the Hhonors member checking in to receive credit. Not all the hotels follow thisart of the T&C but if they do and you did NOT check in, they can deny you points & stay credit.
Did your colleague put his/her Hhonors # down? If so, only one person gets credit, doesn't matter if both are paying. Only ONE person can get credit.

There is something in the T&C about overlapping stays not being allowed.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:51 am

My name is on it, thats not a problem. One overlapping night is the issue. OK they dont give points for that night twice but for the whole stay??
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You have to stay, and to pay, for a visit to qualify as a 'stay'. If it's not a 'stay' - and you weren't in both places at the same time - you don't get points. Period. They don't pro-rate for the nights you may have been there.

Check out HHonors T&Cs for stay credit rules.

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...rual_of_points
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:45 am

Yeah, I was at both places, was under my name I paid. Period. One night overlaps for a sudden change in booking at the first place. Does that ban me to get points for the second stay???
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:02 am

I still havent found anything about overlapping stays in T&Cs, where is it exactly?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You can't be in both places at the same time, as far as they are concerned, you did not stay at the second hotel.

They don't list out every specific thing in the terms that people can try to do, so you won't find a prohibition on overlapping stays in two different locations with a colleague checking in before you at the second location.

Next time you need to change the second reservation, putting the first night in your friends name and the rest in yours. They would have been fine with that, but not with you not being able to complete both stays.

They will not break a stay up into portions based on who is there or not for this part or that part of it. As far as they are concerned, you could not possibly be there for the entire time, so it is not a valid stay.

Now you will see people posting they have done it without any problems, but that doesn't mean they will always let it slide through (as is the case here)
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, WN CP & A-List P
Not sure exactly what the T&C's state but I (unfortunately) can provide another data point showing this is a no win situation.

I had checked into a property early afternoon, got a 911 work call and had to catch a plane and check into another hilton property on the same day....they wouldn't credit both "you can't stay in two properties on the same day" - I argued my point/situation to no avail....the only thing they would do is allow me to choose to take credit from the most point beneficial stay.

Good luck on the battle but I am afraid that it is one that can't be won
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:05 am

I understand their argument and indeed I wasnt obviously at two places at the same time but then I arrived on the second day into a 6-nt stay. If they dont give point after the first " problematic " night fine, but whats wrong with the entire stay!?!?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You don't need to write your thread title again and again.

I do think you should be credited with the non-overlapping nights. Perhaps you should call up and ask for a case to be opened.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:20 pm

I have twice been credited in these situations. In both cases, I checked in for a multi-night stay with my wife, but I had a work emergency come up, had to leave the first hotel early and checked into another hotel. The second stay did not post automatically, but when I sent an email to [email protected] and explained what happened, I received points/nights/stay credit for all nights of both stays.

Note that I did spend at least one night at both hotels.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
Originally Posted by zachary
I have twice been credited in these situations. In both cases, I checked in for a multi-night stay with my wife, but I had a work emergency come up, had to leave the first hotel early and checked into another hotel. The second stay did not post automatically, but when I sent an email to [email protected] and explained what happened, I received points/nights/stay credit for all nights of both stays.

Note that I did spend at least one night at both hotels.
+1 - An e-mail to the Diamond Desk resulted in stay credit; however, I was given the line of "this is a one time exception because it's against the T&Cs". I was at both properties.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zachary
...when I sent an email to [email protected] ....
Indeed. A thoughtful, polite, attitude-less email is usually all it takes in situations which aren't exactly covered by the T&Cs.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by stifle
You don't need to write your thread title again and again.

I do think you should be credited with the non-overlapping nights. Perhaps you should call up and ask for a case to be opened.
Hahhha, I didnt know what you have meant first but now I can see it. I used the iPhone version of FT, it seems it stamps the title on top of your posts each time. Sorry about that.

Yes, I emailed Diamond desk as well originally but as I dropped back to Gold for 2 months it was simply ignored. Then I emailed the regular Hhonors desk and they refused to give me points, thats when I started this thread.

I replied to them yesterday with all my reasoning nicely and got my points awarded this morning for the entire stay. Thanks for all your support and ideas here. I am back to Diamond again, I hope Diamond desk will reply to my emails again going forward.

I fully understand if you are at "two places" for an entire stay that is pretty suspicious but for cases like mine or others above there can be various reasons to have overlaps, mainly for very good business reason when you have to reschedule a trip in the last moment. It shouldnt be a matter.

But I still dont know where T&C would mention anything about conflicting stays.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Two properties on same night

I suspect this will have been asked before, but I can't think of a search that is finding it...

For legitimate reasons I'll be checking my family into a Hilton property early afternoon and spending the afternoon with them before leaving them to overnight there while I fly on to another location where I also have a Hilton property booked for me to spend the night. The next day they will fly on to join me. Both rooms were booked via hilton.com, so have picked up my HH details.

I don't want to embarass myself or the property staff through some misunderstanding about me trying to cheat the system. Should I just explain to the first properry that I will not in fact be staying overnight?

My personal view is that it is reasonable to get points for all spend, but only a single night/stay credit. I'm in two minds about the other Diamond benefits. If they aren't offered at both locations then I may not choose Hilton for one of them. So on what basis are Hilton offering them ? If loyalty then I think they should be granted.

Can anyone point me towards relevant experiences or rules? Many thanks.

On a more practical note does anyone know if I can pre-authorise the desk at the first property to charge to the credit card that will now be at location B? I guess 'quick checkout' would do that, but I never use it as I want a physical, final folio in my hand for expenses purposes.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jun 22, 2012 at 4:42 am Reason: Typo, a bit of possible clarification, my own thoughts, and a new question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.