FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/126488-hilton-honors-diamond-vip-status-really-worth.html)

Kiwi Flyer Feb 12, 2004 1:50 pm

Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Posts older than 2015 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator

wangster11 Jun 18, 2016 9:01 pm

I was a Diamond for 5 years back in late 90's and just came back in last two years. Tremendously disappointed. No upgrades. Complimentary water and snacks. Yay.

I am at their property in the Outer Banks and called down for a late check-out. "I can do 12pm for you." Normal check-out is 11am. When I told him I was Diamond, the response was that I can do 1pm but will have to check with a manager for anything later. Wow. Thanks, Hilton.

stc Jun 19, 2016 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by wangster11 (Post 26798461)
I was a Diamond for 5 years back in late 90's and just came back in last two years. Tremendously disappointed. No upgrades. Complimentary water and snacks. Yay.

I am at their property in the Outer Banks and called down for a late check-out. "I can do 12pm for you." Normal check-out is 11am. When I told him I was Diamond, the response was that I can do 1pm but will have to check with a manager for anything later. Wow. Thanks, Hilton.

I hope you asked him to check with his manager ...

san888 Jun 19, 2016 5:02 pm

This is exactly why I gave up on Diamond. Was Diamond for 12 years till 2016. Am now Gold through credit card and really don't see much of a difference. This allows me to book cost effective rooms using other chains (usually Marriott) and when I stay at Hilton I still get my free breakfast which is the only consistent perk.

I worked hard to make Diamond for many years and even paid more to stay at Hilton's on some stays. Hardly ever received an upgrade, hell I was lucky to be acknowledged as a Diamond. Seems the only one who cared I was a Diamond was myself.

I'm a few stays from Gold at Marriott and the funny thing is that they thank me for being a loyal Silver Member.

nldogbert Jun 20, 2016 2:38 am

Hi,

Not sure if it's due to the devaluation of HHonors giving status out like sweets, but my last few stays at Hilton hotels and DT hotels (for Hampton Inn's I don't expect anything), it has been short of nothing but dissapointment.

Yes, most of them are in Europe, so I am mainly greeted as a Diamond member, but other than that - it has been nothing special compared to Gold - no room upgrade (I don't consider being 'upgraded' to the Executive floor an upgrade).
Amenities are just 2 bottles of water and nothing more than that.

I am not sure if I should keep my status or just let it drop back to Gold. On the other hand, as Europe base, I don't have much options.

Furthermore, as a usual Marriott hotel group user - I find Hiltons to be very basic and just not really worth the value as compared to Marriott's or Renaissance properties. Even in Asia - the Hilton's don't give a view of luxury.

Cheers!

DCBob Jun 20, 2016 7:25 am

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber (Post 22299621)
Have had impressive upgrades at every brand (even Hampton Inns) but my reading of the T&Cs doesn't lead me to expect suites (just that they can upgrade you if they feel like it) so perhaps my lowered expectations keeps me happy.

Just what on earth is an "impressive upgrade" at a Hampton Inn? I have never seen a room at HI that I found impressive. And other posters bring up that the front desk clerk thanked them for being silver, gold, or diamond, as if that meant anything. Why even mention that meaningless compliment? It really means nothing and is of no value (at least to me). Getting a suite or free cocktails is what I appreciate as an elite perk. My Sheraton in NYC provides free beer and wine every night in addition to food in the club. That is very unusual in the US and it keeps me coming back. Hilton clubs in the US lack a lot in terms of good food and drink.

BlondeBomber Jun 20, 2016 8:00 am

Well those impressive upgrades at Hampton Inn and Suites have included suites (real suites with a living room area) with fireplaces; hospitality suite with meeting room etc. I am not talking about just a quiet room with a better view but for a Hampton Inn, those kind of upgrades are impressive (IMHO).:cool:

IsleOfMan Jun 20, 2016 1:48 pm

As many others have experienced, I was Diamond from 2006 - 2011 and played the rolling calendar year to its fullest benefit. I also often made use of Diamond Force for points stays and received some phenomenal upgrades. After a job change, I dropped all the way down to Silver for 2011-late 2013 when I grabbed Gold on a Fast Track and hit Diamond again towards the end of 2014. I was happy enough as Gold for that ~11 months and received a handful of solid upgrades and good overall treatment, but I was a bit disappointed when things didn't really improve any when I made it back to Diamond. Upgrades still came but not at the frequency or magnitude of a just a few years back, I came across more breakfasts requiring an up-charge from continental to full, resort fees were no longer waived (I know not an official program benefit, but a common one years back), and in general the biggest remaining benefit has been the Diamond Desk for slightly quicker resolutions on CS issues.

All that said, I think a big part of this lack of differentiation is that HHonors Gold is one of the best mid-tier statuses in the industry (I don't consider Marriott Gold a mid-tier status because of the VERY high barrier of entry), even though it (like Diamond these days, too) is extremely easy to get via fast track, straight match, credit card, etc.

Miesque Jun 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber (Post 26804074)
Well those impressive upgrades at Hampton Inn and Suites have included suites (real suites with a living room area) with fireplaces; hospitality suite with meeting room etc. I am not talking about just a quiet room with a better view but for a Hampton Inn, those kind of upgrades are impressive (IMHO).:cool:

I don't stay often at Hamptons at all, but a MUCH greater percentage of those stays have had a suite upgrades than at the full service properties where that is a benefit.

I may have already stated the following, while I would love big suite upgrades my expectations are such that but I am actually happy with getting upgraded to the Executive Floor, which I am hitting at a reasonably high percentage so much so I notice it when I don't get it.

lcohen999 Jun 20, 2016 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber (Post 26804074)
hospitality suite with meeting room

I see you've stayed in Ottawa before!

johnndor Jun 21, 2016 11:03 am

To be fair, you are at a beach-front property (my favorite Hampton, by the way), during high season. The hotel is likely fully-booked.

jeffandnicole Jun 21, 2016 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by johnndor (Post 26810548)
To be fair, you are at a beach-front property (my favorite Hampton, by the way), during high season. The hotel is likely fully-booked.

Yep. To put it another way, a Diamond could be arriving at the hotel. Is the front desk supposed to tell him at 3pm "Sorry, but your room isn't available yet", with the Diamond responding that he's a Diamond and he's guaranteed a 3pm check-in?

There are a whole bunch of Diamonds out there no doubt, so while they try to be flexible, there's only so much flexibility to be had.

amylouwho Dec 13, 2016 4:13 pm

Is Diamond worth it?

I am five stays from Diamond. Opinions on whether it is worth an end of year mattress run.

I've found a few $50 + 12,000 hotels near me.

bitterproffit Dec 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Depends upon where you stay most often. If you are a road warrior and drive from Hampton to Hampton and HGI to HGI like I used to do, the Diamond upgrades and Exec Lounge access were of little use. But the extra point bonus was nice.

If you stay at a lot of Hiltons and Conrads, then you can get some nice EL upgrades. Is that worth $250 and 60,000 Points? Only you can answer that.

Kacee Dec 13, 2016 4:26 pm

Very very borderline.

You'll get more points and guaranteed lounge access. Upgrades have been virtually nonexistent for me.