Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 5:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
How many stays/nights do you plan to do in 2017?

As bitterproffit, if you spend most of your time in HGI or Hampton Inn (or Embassy Suites or Homewood Suites), the only real benefit difference between Gold (which I assume you already have locked up for next year) and Diamond is the 50% base point bonus versus the 25% base point bonus.

The increased bonus is nice, but only meaningful if you plan to have a lot of Hilton stays next year and/or spend a lot of money with Hilton next year. If you're averaging $120/night for spending, you're getting 300 more bonus points per night with Diamond versus Gold. At 0.5 cents/point, that's worth an extra $1.50/night.

If you stay more with full-service Hiltons (and Conrads and Curios, to the extent they're available where you're staying), you get additional bonus points per stay on top of your Diamond bonus (without having to give up free breakfast) and guaranteed lounge access.

In theory, you're also prioritized for suite upgrades and you get free "premium" wi-fi. If you book hotels last minute in popular locales and money isn't really a concern, you can also force room availability at sold-out hotels 48+ hours out (subject to limitations) as a Diamond.

If you're planning international trips next year, Diamond would be nice to have, since the international Hiltons are supposed to be nicer than those stateside. I do not have personal experience with this (yet).

Last edited by Evo40; Dec 13, 2016 at 5:23 pm
Old Dec 13, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I have been diamond this year, after many years as gold. Almost all of my stays are in Europe or Asia. With my guaranteed lounge access, I've chosen properties that have nice lounges, and have found this to be a huge benefit to my travels. In my domestic US travels, I've not found any siginificant difference between levels. So it depends on your travel patterns, and how much you value the lounges...
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:33 pm

Not worth five stays, save the money and spend it to book nicer rooms a few times during the year in stays you want.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only you can really decide if it is worth it to you.

For me it is very much worth it. I have used the get a diamond guarantee room when hotel sold out many times, and no, never had to pay rack rate for the room.

Diamonds get reduced point rewards, got one for spring training in Phoenix in March, normal rate 75,000 per night, Diamond rate 30,000 per night for the Doubletree.

Have used my points for some great vacations at wonderful hotels throughout the world. Being Diamond I earn points much faster so can get those vacations annually.

So for me, well worth being Diamond. And sometime next year will qualify for lifetime Diamond.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:38 pm

I think it's worth it and I would have done it in a heartbeat. I will in fact do way more MR to maintain Diamond status. It is not just the benefits during "real" stays. Even at the MR properties, if you are there enough times, they also recognise you as their regular and treat you as a "VIP". Not that MR properties would be great ones by virtue of the fact they were picked for the affordability which usually means lower end properties but still, it's always nice to be appreciated.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond
I had two more stays this year to get to diamond and there is a nearby HGI where reward nights are 10,000 points. It's a no-brainer for me.

Does anybody know if you have to physically pick up the room key to get the stay credit or is it possible to just check in online and be done with it?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by cguzik
I had two more stays this year to get to diamond and there is a nearby HGI where reward nights are 10,000 points. It's a no-brainer for me.

Does anybody know if you have to physically pick up the room key to get the stay credit or is it possible to just check in online and be done with it?
Just checking-in online will not work.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by PayItForward
I think it's worth it and I would have done it in a heartbeat. I will in fact do way more MR to maintain Diamond status. It is not just the benefits during "real" stays. Even at the MR properties, if you are there enough times, they also recognise you as their regular and treat you as a "VIP". Not that MR properties would be great ones by virtue of the fact they were picked for the affordability which usually means lower end properties but still, it's always nice to be appreciated.
The OP is proposing spending basically $ 500 (with an extremely conservative estimate of what the 60000 points are worth) and some amount of time (checking in to a hotel five separate days). I don't see any situation where that can be worth it. Much better to spend the $ 500 to book the nicer rooms you want in the first place without trusting in a not-guaranteed free upgrade. The extra points for being Diamond are not going to pay for those $ 500.

Two stays at 10000 points in a nearby hotel can be worth it, five stays at $50 + 12000, no.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well, with the Visa app promo, those $50 + 12000 stays earn 5,000 points back. If pure mattress runs and depending on the chain, the OP could also choose up to 1,000 points as a Gold amenity in lieu of breakfast. So net you end up with $50 + tax + 6,000 points.

Don't forget to check for day-use rates and/or cheap paid rates.

That said, the only times I've appreciated being HHonors Diamond are Conrad stays in Asia. Everywhere else Gold would have done just fine...
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Much better to find a $60 a night place. I'd do it for $70 or less per night, but it depends where you are staying. In SE Asia, Gold is almost as good as diamond.

I've regularly gotten suites, lounge access, and full breakfast, even as a gold.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:23 am

Sigh...why do we continue to bite on these threads, seemingly dozens of times per year, at the end of each year?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Sigh...why do we continue to bite on these threads, seemingly dozens of times per year, at the end of each year?
LOL. I do find it odd that someone's first FT post is about mattress running for status. Not exactly a widespread concept although I guess the OP has been lurking for a few years...
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:08 am

I mean, it's just like, what value are we supposed to add here? Is it "worth it"? I don't know, you decide. The status isn't for me, it's for you, you determine what is or isn't "worth it"...
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Google search is your friend. From the Points Guy:

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/what...us-worth-2016/

(my answer as a Diamond = no. Hilotn hotels are .......)
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Well, with the Visa app promo, those $50 + 12000 stays earn 5,000 points back. If pure mattress runs and depending on the chain, the OP could also choose up to 1,000 points as a Gold amenity in lieu of breakfast. So net you end up with $50 + tax + 6,000 points.
Are you sure that you get the 5000 points even for Points + Money stays? I think I haven't in a recent one (it could be that I booked before the promotion was active).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.