Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Old May 7, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I've had six stays at the T4 Hilton in the last 2 months. The bus between T4 - T5 is straightforward and prompt and I have never experienced the crowding issues that someone else alluded to. I also have not found the rooms at the T5 Hilton to be that much larger than T4.

The last time I stayed at the T5 Hilton (about 2 months ago) using the Hoppa was not the bother that I remembered but I also feel it is not worth it considering the free TfL bus transfers between T4 -T5 and the difference in room cost between the properties has been negligible for my stays. I have also found the lounge and lounge offerings at T4 to be better.
+1. For me it's a no-brainer. A nice walk to the hotel to stretch my legs after my frequent long flights from LAX. Good lounge with food, spirits, wine and beer, and friendly service always.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by catcher1
+1. For me it's a no-brainer. A nice walk to the hotel to stretch my legs after my frequent long flights from LAX. Good lounge with food, spirits, wine and beer, and friendly service always.
I booked T4 in the end. My only concern is getting from there to terminal 5 for the flight with kids and luggage.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dax1956
I booked T4 in the end. My only concern is getting from there to terminal 5 for the flight with kids and luggage.
The answer to the question that you didn't ask is that the Sofitel at T5 is the winner for access and you can check your luggage in the lobby before walking over to T5. It can be had fairly cheaply through BA.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
There are always luggage carts just outside the front door to the hotel. Time your walk TO the hotel and you'll know more or less how much time you'll need to get to the terminal. The alternative is to take a cab, which will cost you around 10 pounds.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The answer to the question that you didn't ask is that the Sofitel at T5 is the winner for access and you can check your luggage in the lobby before walking over to T5. It can be had fairly cheaply through BA.
That's true, but I choose Hilton because I wanted to use points. We will probably go with uber or a cab to get from the hotel in terminal four to departures at terminal five. Trying to do the most convenient way.
Thanks everyone.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
That's true, but I choose Hilton because I wanted to use points. We will probably go with uber or a cab to get from the hotel in terminal four to departures at terminal five. Trying to do the most convenient way.
Thanks everyone.
We chose the T5 Hilton once because it was very reasonable through BA Holidays and I wanted to try Mr. Todiwala's (it was excellent) so I appreciate that there are other reasons but you seemed to be starting to worry more about convenience. Good luck anyway.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Yes, this was going to be my recommendation despite this being the Hilton forum...
Sooo much more convenient. (And a very nice hotel). Save the points for something else. You can even check your bags with BA in the hotel lobby; it is about a 5 minute walk to the terminal from the hotel.
And you can ride the cool pods to the remote parking lot. ^

And LHR isnt that complicated if you spend 10 minutes on the airport website and look at a map/schematic.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I have not stayed in a Hilton Property in London before, (formally SPG/Marriott) however as there is no promotions in June I am thinking of staying in a Hilton property, any which are particurlary good for families in Central London ? and ideally have an indoor swimming pool?

As a reference point if anyone has stayed at the Marriott in Park Lane with the indoor pool that would be something ideal but in the Hilton family?
Old May 12, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
If the location suits you the Hilton London Bankside is family friendly and has an indoor pool.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
I have not stayed in a Hilton Property in London before, (formally SPG/Marriott) however as there is no promotions in June I am thinking of staying in a Hilton property, any which are particurlary good for families in Central London ? and ideally have an indoor swimming pool?

As a reference point if anyone has stayed at the Marriott in Park Lane with the indoor pool that would be something ideal but in the Hilton family?
Bankside , Waldorf and metropole.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:29 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MP001
If you must have a lounge your alternatives to Hilton T5 are Hilton T4 or Hilton Paddington.
Both reachable via the Heathrow express train. To reach T4 you need approx 5/10 min via a free transfer, the Hilton is connected to the terminal via a covered passage. For Paddington you need about 20 minutes on the express. The Hilton Paddington is right in the station, in front of your arrival platform..
Hilton Metropole isn't that much further than Paddington and often quite a bit cheaper. I haven't stayed there in a couple of years and some people say it can be a zoo but it seemed OK to me especially for the price and the London location.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Hi would you all be kind enough to help me choose? I have a flight from terminal 5, but the Hilton at terminal 5 seems a long way away. And the hopper bus seems unreliable.. So should I go with the Hilton at terminal 4 instead? I'm interested in the lounge and convenience of getting to the terminal. Thank you all very much.
Originally Posted by MP001
If you must have a lounge your alternatives to Hilton T5 are Hilton T4 or Hilton Paddington.
Both reachable via the Heathrow express train. To reach T4 you need approx 5/10 min via a free transfer, the Hilton is connected to the terminal via a covered passage. For Paddington you need about 20 minutes on the express. The Hilton Paddington is right in the station, in front of your arrival platform..
Generally not a huge fan of airport hotels, unless I've got a 6:00AM flight. The Hilton at Paddington is ridiculously convenient to LHR. On shorter stays to London, I usually pick it because I have easy access to so many parts of London on the tube, and there is enough to do within walking distance if one wants to turn in early the night before one's flight.

The morning of departure, one can choose to have breakfast at the hotel, or just hop on the HEX to LHR and be at the check-in counter 25-30 minutes later depending on terminal (if you plan ahead and are aware of the HEX schedule). The walk from the hotel is all inside the Paddington station, so no weather concerns, and takes a couple of minutes to the train from the exit of the hotel.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The Hilton Paddington is an expensive train trip to a pricier property with a poorer lounge than either of the two airport Hiltons. The OP is a Gold so likely to get lounge access.

Whilst HGI's can be good they are not really full service properties and either of the two airport Hiltons are better options than any other HGI I have visited.

The T5 Hilton is further away (best option Uber to get there and back) but has better rooms and public space. The T5 Hilton has a great Indian Restaurant

The T4 Hilton has very small rooms unless you are lucky enough to get a suite which are very nicely laid out. The T4 Hilton has a great Chinese Restaurant.

The T4 Lounge is I think bigger and better than the T5 lounge.
Nice summary. I used to stay at the Hilton Paddington on overnights, then the T4 Hilton, for a while the T5 (especially when it had its own shuttle bus) but now it's always the T4. Taking two trains to/from T5 isn't bad, and I prefer that to relying on busses or taxis or Uber or minicabs (all of which I've tried a few times).

We will probably go with uber or a cab to get from the hotel in terminal four to departures at terminal five. Trying to do the most convenient way.
With kids and a lot of luggage, a taxi or Uber or minicab will be the most convenient. It's also more expensive, but especially when staying on points, probably easy to justify. (It is a longish drive though, not appreciably faster than the trains.)

Originally Posted by stc
Hilton Metropole isn't that much further than Paddington and often quite a bit cheaper. I haven't stayed there in a couple of years and some people say it can be a zoo but it seemed OK to me especially for the price and the London location.
The Metropole can be more convenient than the Paddington, depending on which Tube lines you want. The indoor pool is decent.

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Generally not a huge fan of airport hotels, unless I've got a 6:00AM flight. The Hilton at Paddington is ridiculously convenient to LHR.
Convenient in that the hotel is inside the station, but still inconvenient in that the train is pricey, and if you just miss one it seems like a very long wait for the next, made worse by it sitting there for so long, closing the doors to falsly suggest imminent departure.

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Covered walkway from Terminal 4. About a 5 to 10 minute walk.
The walkway between the terminal and the hotel is enclosed, but it ends just at the smoking area of the hotel, and there is a short (maybe 1/2 block) distance that's outdoors and uncovered. If it's raining or snowing this could be an issue for some, and having to go by the smoking area can be unpleasant.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anabolism
Nice summary. I used to stay at the Hilton Paddington on overnights, then the T4 Hilton, for a while the T5 (especially when it had its own shuttle bus) but now it's always the T4. Taking two trains to/from T5 isn't bad, and I prefer that to relying on busses or taxis or Uber or minicabs (all of which I've tried a few times).

Convenient in that the hotel is inside the station, but still inconvenient in that the train is pricey, and if you just miss one it seems like a very long wait for the next, made worse by it sitting there for so long, closing the doors to falsly suggest imminent departure.
The train runs every 15 minutes, except during the holidays. I think that is frequently enough, and as I stated, just be aware of the schedule, and as long as one is exiting the rear doors of the Hilton Paddington with 5 minutes to spare, one should be OK if one is an average speed walker. I also buy my tickets in advance whenever I can (the further out, the more you save) and have the HEX app on my mobile to show the ticket checker.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
The train runs every 15 minutes, except during the holidays. I think that is frequently enough, and as I stated, just be aware of the schedule, and as long as one is exiting the rear doors of the Hilton Paddington with 5 minutes to spare, one should be OK if one is an average speed walker. I also buy my tickets in advance whenever I can (the further out, the more you save) and have the HEX app on my mobile to show the ticket checker.
It depends on your situation. It might be perfect for you and still be a poor value for others and that's OK.

HEX is expensive without the ability to buy quite far in advance and it also depends on the number of people in your group.

If you buy within 2 weeks, it is more than 22.00 pp. For my family, that would cost more than the average night out at the HGI Hatton Cross. Even the cheapest fare is 32.00 for a group of 4.

The Hilton Paddington is several hundred pounds a night for a group of 4. The airport hotels can be more accommodating at a fraction of the price.

For some price matters and for some it doesn't really matter. Most people are paying for the feeling and the expectation. They pay to feel they are in the very center of the action and for luxury and convenience.

What I've found is that if I can save 250.00+ on the last night when we are invariably trying to pack all our purchases to take back home, I can spend it more enjoyably during the earlier part of our stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.