Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
Yes! 3 nights is a short trip. If I was you, I'd not disrupt the third day with a hotel move since it is really likely to interfere with your enjoyment and freedom on that day. My approach would be to stay at a good but not extortionate hotel (which varies according to day of the week in London!). If you can buy into the cost of Conrad/Bankside/Tower bridge/Waldorf for all 3 nights that would be a recipe for a great trip!

Heathrow may be far from the city centre, but you're no more than 45 minutes away when staying at any city centre hotel. So leaving by 7am would be fine. Whether you take a car to Paddington followed by heathrow express vs car all the way to heathrow probably doesn't matter much time-wise, but the cost difference depends on the number of travellers. The main thing is that saving 25-30 mins of morning travel time is not worth the upheaval of moving on your last day (especially to a tedious airport hotel!)

Enjoy the trip!
Fun to see how people think. I find the HEX and central London a waste of money, especially at the very end of a trip. Knowing I have an early morning doesn't make for a restful night anyway.

I'd rather economise and position myself as close as possible by taking the evening tube to Hatton Cross after spending the day in London and the difference in fare and hotel rate on food, drink and items to take home. Perhaps I would get an even better hotel for the first two nights with the difference. An early check out makes the last night a waste in so many ways.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by IcHot
Fun to see how people think. I find the HEX and central London a waste of money, especially at the very end of a trip. Knowing I have an early morning doesn't make for a restful night anyway.

I'd rather economise and position myself as close as possible by taking the evening tube to Hatton Cross after spending the day in London and the difference in fare and hotel rate on food, drink and items to take home. Perhaps I would get an even better hotel for the first two nights with the difference. An early check out makes the last night a waste in so many ways.
In general I would agree with you, but there are many factors at work here for most people ....
  • checking out of one hotel and moving to another is sometimes more tedious than getting up 45 minutes earlier
  • sometimes I have meetings in London in the evening that will go to 9pm. I don't want to head out to Hatton Cross and then back in again and then back out again!
  • finding a good place to eat / shop near Heathrow is not at all easy and sometimes that last meal / shop is very important. Paddington station has a Sainsburys, a Simply Food and a good pub (Kensington scores even higher on these criteria)
  • and other people will have other reasons for choosing various options
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by IcHot

I have a slightly different view. An on time checkout 20 hours before you need to leave in the centre, followed by a day of husbanding your luggage and dealing with the vagaries of checkin time at the new hotel, is a hassle. YMMV.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I have a slightly different view. An on time checkout 20 hours before you need to leave in the centre, followed by a day of husbanding your luggage and dealing with the vagaries of checkin time at the new hotel, is a hassle. YMMV.
Check in time at the new hotel? I don't think you read or understood what I suggested.

If you are actually going to be out in London rather than in a hotel room, leave the bags at the original hotel and enjoy London for the day. Then go to the airport hotel in the evening. No worries about check in time after 7PM.

I know some people like hotel rooms more than the city, so those people should enjoy their rooms.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Have three nights in London in June, currently holding rooms at Bankside and Paddington - both using points at the same rate. Other hotels available at similar rates are Conrad or Waldorf (+10k/night), Hilton Hyde Park (-10k/night), and Lincoln Plaza Curio @ Canary Wharf (-23k/night).

I am slightly inclined towards Paddington:
  • Easy access to and from Heathrow
  • Lounge looks good - mabye not as nice as Bankside, but seems to have a lot of character
  • As easy to get around as any of the other options
  • Proximity to Hyde Park for morning run (this is to me is a major advantage over Bankside, and trumps the likely nicer rooms)
Canary Wharf is somewhat intriguing, in part due to low rate, but also because of the opportunity to explore a new area. I don't have a set agenda, just really soak up some atmosphere before heading to Vienna. Have not been to London in many years - any more experienced travelers have different recommendation? I have Diamond status, FWIW, but don't let upgrades or lack thereof factor in my decisions. Keeps me sane!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Originally Posted by umustbjokim
Have three nights in London in June, currently holding rooms at Bankside and Paddington - both using points at the same rate. Other hotels available at similar rates are Conrad or Waldorf (+10k/night), Hilton Hyde Park (-10k/night), and Lincoln Plaza Curio @ Canary Wharf (-23k/night).

• Lounge looks good - mabye not as nice as Bankside, but seems to have a lot of character
  • Proximity to Hyde Park for morning run (this is to me is a major advantage over Bankside, and trumps the likely nicer rooms)
Canary Wharf is somewhat intriguing, in part due to low rate, but also because of the opportunity to explore a new area. I don't have a set agenda, just really soak up some atmosphere before heading to Vienna. Have not been to London in many years - any more experienced travelers have different recommendation? I have Diamond status, FWIW, but don't let upgrades or lack thereof factor in my decisions. Keeps me sane!
Having just left London I would highly recommend the Conrad St. James. First it cannot be in a better location, a block and half from the Park, across the street from a tube stop. Truly a few blocks from Westminster Abbey, Churchill War rooms, Parliament. Several nights we went through this fabulous cut thru and entered the Park, crossed it for dinner. I would also say the Lounge is very nice. We had breakfast there every morning and seriously depleted it of Diet Cokes all day. My only annoyance with the lounge was the lack of Chardonnay during happy hour.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In terms of value for money/points, Lincoln Plaza would be standing out here. Hilton Hyde Park is cheaper for various reasons, but the Park entrance is over the road from the hotel, it couldn't be closer. It also has plenty on the door step in terms of food, drink and shops, whilst still being a quick bus/tube to anywhere central. Conrad is also near St James' Park, and is a much better hotel overall than Paddington. Bankside has running opportunities along the Thames not so far away.

Lincoln Plaza fails on the running options, unless you mean along the former docks or Mudchute Farm. But it's a brand new hotel and the combination of DLR and Jubilee Line will get you places quickly. There are lots of shops and restaurants nearby but it is a bit soul-less perhaps. Vienna will be the complete antidote to that!

If it's a straightforward Paddington v Bankside at the same price, for me it's Bankside every time. Conrad I could justify with that uplift, Hyde Park the downpricing would need to be lower but I can see an argument (the Doubletree is usually better value). No lounge there. But Lincoln Plaza seems best value to my mind.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:20 pm
Suspended

These are hard because everyone has a concept or fantasy that they base travel around. If your concept of being in London is running in Hyde Park, do that. You could be in a much more interesting area at a lower price, but if it doesn't fit your concept, then it is a waste.

As c-w-s suggested, I'd go to Canary Wharf in a heartbeat. Plenty of places to walk, eat, shop, and all the links to go elsewhere. New hotel.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles

I also second the Conrad. I was just there a couple weeks ago. The hard product, Executive Lounge and generous Diamond breakfast options are fabulous. I have stayed at other Hiltons in London and the Conrad is a more luxurious property than the others. It's a good use of points in my opinion. Places to jog are nearby too plus it's a great location to get to other places quickly either by tube, taxi or Uber.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

As others have mentioned, much depends on what you are looking for. The Conrad is the most luxurious, and close to many traditional sites and parks. Highly recommend. The Waldorf is smack middle of the heart of the "active" downtown London. The Theater district, Covent Garden, Leicester Square and SoHo are all within walking distance. Paddington is the most convenient to LHR with the HEX, and there is stuff to do around the neighborhood, although not as much late night near by.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Conrad it is - thanks for all the info / suggestions! While Lincoln Plaza is a great deal, the only think I really know of Canary Wharf is from Torchwood - think I need to experience the area before booking it.

Conrad, London, June - not going to suck (can I say that on Flyertalk?).
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Which Hilton Property in London

Hi fellow forumers,
I would appreciate your opinion on the each of three properties that I've narrowed down and intend on booking
1. Hilton on the Park Lane
2. Conrad London St. James
3. The Trafalgar St. James London, Curio Collection.

It's for a leisure stay and I'd like to be centrally located to do the touristy things. The stay will be in late May-early June.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
What are you most interested in? Room size? Lounge? etc.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by craigthemif
What are you most interested in? Room size? Lounge? etc.
Room size is important though i will be realistic as it's central London though i would think it's not as bad as Paris which i will arrive from. I'm actually more interested in the service level, how decent the BF will be and how pleasant the immediate surroundings are (though i have a feeling the Trafalgar property will be filled with tacky souvenir shops, hope not).
i'm actually leaning towards the Trafalgar St. James as i like the decor.

Last edited by RJ77; Apr 22, 2019 at 5:16 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Conrad is the best of those three. Waldorf and Tower Bridge are also good choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.