Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by jenecho
New question- I have redemption bookings at the tower bridge (42k) and bankside(51k) and am playing a wait and see game before I have to decide and cancel one.

So today two others have dropped in points- Hilton Paddington (34k) and DT Islington (33k). Are either of those worth a look for the relative cheapness?
I love the Hilton Paddington as I'm always coming in from Heathrow. Walk off HX, up the escalators and into the hotel. I'm never around for lounge activities so I've no idea if they're any good but I love the location and I've had some really nice rooms.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
For me it's Bankside, hands down. I will admit this is a personal decision, but it's the newest of the three and the hardware is heads and tails above the other two options mentioned. For me this is vital as hotels quickly show their age in London. Lounge is also excellent with good offerings throughout the day and the pool is an excellent way to relax. I also prefer to the breakfast here to Jaime's at the other Tower Hilton and the DT isn't even a comparison. Diamond treatment overall is excellent (always enthusiastically welcomed and well taken care of), however, upgrade success is average. They typically stick to a single room category upgrade UNLESS they are heavily booked, which can result in a nice suite or no upgrade at all depending on what is available. The one downside others I often drag to this hotel complain about is that the rooms are very dark and their are no views to speak of. Fine for me as I love a room I can make cave like to get some good sleep and just walking around London fills me with all the views I need.
Thanks for this. I usually stay at the Park Lane Hilton, but I'll try the Bankside for my next stay.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by luke5111
I love the Hilton Paddington as I'm always coming in from Heathrow. Walk off HX, up the escalators and into the hotel. I'm never around for lounge activities so I've no idea if they're any good but I love the location and I've had some really nice rooms.
After much research (paralysis by analysis) this post was enough positive info for us to book two suites at the Paddington. We’re very excited but if anything goes wrong, we’ll blame it on you.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by lightmouse

Can you really book a room as a solo traveler or room for 2 adults and then 2-3ppl show up? We will have a party of 5 planning to book 2 rooms for our stay but you are right everytime i search room for 3 adults the price jumps tremendously. It’s rediculous since in the State a room can fit 4 ppl. Another question, as a diamond in term i saw only one more guest can have diamond benefits with me. Is it true? What about the rest of the party? Thank u.
Welcome to FT and the Hilton forum lightmouse. Hope you find it informative and useful and please do contribute back what your experiences are afterwards so that others can benefit from your experience please.

To your questions: generalising here, but generally, UK and specifically London rooms are quite a bit smaller than the US counterparts. If you've not been before, then you'll see why there are not two double sized beds in one room...the room won't be big enough to fit them alone let alone a desk, wardrobe and other items...so most London/UK rooms are one bigger (queen or king) sized bed with a desk and chair but not necessarily a sofa bed as well, therefore you'd only get a third person in the room if you get a foldable bed in that room and there is enough room to do so. Some rooms have fire safety limitations on guest numbers so this is also a factor. As a diamond (likely as gold as well) one can just register yourself and then a second guest can always join you in the room or lounge / restaurant without issue as this is a benefit. (spouse stays free)...Most UK properties will honour the second guest without issue for benefits but any others are not guaranteed and subject to the whim of the hotel and person you are dealing with so just beware of that. Some good hotels will give benefits to the second room if you ask nicely but it is not guaranteed.

Hope these points/musings help. Safe travels.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:27 am

Thanks for your detail reply. I never stay in a UK or European hotels before so good to know. Of course we don’t want to sleep on a couch on vacation lol. And thanks for your warm welcome. Love the forum very much but never post anything. You are right that i should contribute. Cheers!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BA gold, HHonors diamond, IHG rewards gold
So my indecision continues! It isifor tomorrowto currently have 4 bookings on points that I need to cancel 3 of depending on what I decide before midnight tonight! This is largely based on seeing who pre upgrades me. Unfortunately I know lots do their upgrading in the morning but because they are points booking they need to be cancelled by 23.59 so whatever looks best then will win!
It's made slightly more difficult as I want two beds which limits the availability....plus my friend wants to go out at 7 which limits lounge time so I am also considering this!

I have:
Bankside. Already upgraded to Exec (51,000)
pros: pool. Exec room, salmon and fizz in lounge from 530. Shortest journey.
cons: most expensive.

Tower bridge - twin (42,000)
pros- lounge with terrace with fizz
Cons, not yet upgraded, lounge at 6pm.

DT tower. Twin (34000)
pros - cheap. Lounge from 5.30
Cons - not yet upgraded- they said they would try for a suite but only had one left so couldn't promise. Don't currently have any twin execs so unlikely. No fizz in lounge.

Hilton Paddington. Twin (34000)
pros- cheap. Lounge has fizz? In theory upgraded to deluxe twin but app says standard twin and is preassigning 556 which says normaltwin on map. Close to where we are going.
cons- they didn't think they could upgrade beyond deluxe. Lounge starts at 6pm.

Have I missed anything? I have five hours to ponder the options but ultimately need to take a punt .

​​​​​​So for 34000- 51000 points where would you go? bearing in mind that although the rates are good bankside is basically 50% more points than Paddington!

​​​​​​
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA gold, HHonors diamond, IHG rewards gold
Anyone?

Tower bridge have confirmed upgrades to exec twin. I've cancelled the Doubletree as least appealing but still need to cancel two more

Bankside 51k exec
Tower bridge 42k exec
Paddington 34k deluxe

​​​​​​Thinking I will cancel Paddington next although the rate is sooooo cheap!??
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Anyone?

Tower bridge have confirmed upgrades to exec twin. I've cancelled the Doubletree as least appealing but still need to cancel two more

Bankside 51k exec
Tower bridge 42k exec
Paddington 34k deluxe

​​​​​​Thinking I will cancel Paddington next although the rate is sooooo cheap!??
I too would cancel Paddington in a heartbeat. Location, lounge, overall quality lower than the others.
TB vs Bankside is a close-run thing. I usually choose based on cost. In my opinion there is more stuff to see/do nearby TB, but that's not a big deal.
The Bankside pool might swing it for some - but not for me. The Bankside finish (and lounge) is more luxurious... but the breakfast in Jamie's Italian at TB is very good indeed, while the TB lounge serves more substantial food (and until 9pm). So, in your position, I would take TB mainly based on cost, but the differences are marginal and I appreciate that 9k points is almost nothing so if you can find any shred of preference for either, the points difference is inconsequential.

Or else flip a coin.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by LennartH
I am planning a weekend stay in February and two exceptions from my usual pattern force me to ask you about what to choose.

First, I am flying into and out of LHR this time. So my usual choice (Hilton Canary Wharf) is not as convenient as normally when I use LCY.

Second, I am no longer Diamond, but a lowly Gold member now.

These are the possible options:

- DT Tower of London: 92 GBP
- Hilton Tower Bridge: 127 GBP
- The Trafalger: 167 GBP
- Conrad: 191 GBP
- DT Westminster: 131 GBP
- DT West End: 137 GBP
- Hilton Paddington: 151 GBP
- Hilton Metropole: 119 GBP
- DT Marble Arch: 141 GBP
- DT Victoria: 143 GBP
- Hampton Waterloo: 119 GBP
- Hilton Euston: 135 GBP
- Hilton Bankside: 149 GBP

I am more interested in a good location (to/from LHR and touristy areas), a good breakfast and nicely updated rooms than lounge access and quality.

Which one would you choose being a Gold member?
I'd say the Metropole, but ensure that they put you in an updated room in the West Wing. 10/15 min walk from Paddington. 15 min walk to oxford street. Close to 3 tube lines. Breakfast is good but I think they'd removed the pancakes and omelettes. Of course Paddington is also an option, but I find the rooms very dated.
Also, if you intend on getting the Heathrow Express, book your tickets now, as they are much cheaper if you book them in advance
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Anyone?

Bankside 51k exec
Tower bridge 42k exec
Paddington 34k deluxe

Tick tick tick.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
I'd go for Bankside, a much nicer hotel all round IMHO...Not the most exciting neighbourhood, but the tube is a short walk away...
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too find the redemption point differentials between regular and better rooms very discouraging. I wonder if any hotel allows you to redeem the base level room using points and pay the price differential in cash? How much is added to the cash price for taxes/fees for hotels in London?

I hope the lounges at these hotels remain open during the holiday weeks.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
London - Conrad vs. St. James Trafalgar

Hello all,
I know this has been discussed, but I need some persuasive arguments We are going to London for spring break. Two adults, two young teen boys. Currently I have booked the St. James Trafalgar on points - two rooms - at 70,000 points per room or 560,000 for five nights (pay for 4 get 5 night deal). We have a room with one queen in each. Other option is the Conrad which has king bed for 77,000 points per room. Neither has a tub for a standard room but I will have to live with that.
Trying to decide what to do. We will be doing the regular sites and we appreciate/use the included breakfast. I'm only a gold member so I know some benefits may not be available.
Curious what others think of the two hotels?
I like nice and good bars are not a factor!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Conrad is very nice, and centrally located.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Conrad is the better hotel.

Trafalgar is the better location.

Pick your poison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.