Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by seat1C
Bankside - it was already better than Tower Bridge even before the lounge move. Tower Bridge is in a good location but other than that isn't a particularly nice hotel.
I'd broadly agree with this ranking - but my own view is that there isn't too much between them. Mostly, I choose based on price, but I am back in Bankside this weekend and chose it despite being a tiny bit more expensive. And really looking forward to getting back there.

I'm a major Bankside fan - and particularly fond of the lounge and the epic Bankside granola... but their evening offerings are less extensive than in the TB lounge. Swings and roundabouts everywhere!!
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub
Stayed at Bankside last year and was a very nice clean new hotel. Had to take the tube to most tourist attractions. Just stayed at the Doubletree Westminster, while nothing amazing it was quit and extremely close walk to Westminster Abbey and everything around there.
http://truptravels.com/2018/03/06/re...nister-london/
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:21 pm

Free night voucher London

Hello FT,

I have tried searching and found some good answers, but wanted to get more people's opinions.

I have earned a free weekend night through the credit card. I need to stay in London for a weekend coming up soon and I thought better to use it on that and have a lovely stay (with my partner) than spend on myself somewhere where I can't enjoy it!

However, I'm having a little difficulty choosing between properties. So far I'm thinking the Conrad St James (based on reviews) but I also quite like the look of the new Curio as well as the Park Lane. Location isn't a major factor - main thing is fancy and comfy hotel! Was wondering what people's opinions are on the best one to choose?

(as a side note - I am hilton gold, and read that I am very unlikely to get any benefits at the Curio - is this true of all properties when on the reward voucher?)

Thank you!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Mbrunz
Hello FT,

I have tried searching and found some good answers, but wanted to get more people's opinions.

I have earned a free weekend night through the credit card. I need to stay in London for a weekend coming up soon and I thought better to use it on that and have a lovely stay (with my partner) than spend on myself somewhere where I can't enjoy it!

However, I'm having a little difficulty choosing between properties. So far I'm thinking the Conrad St James (based on reviews) but I also quite like the look of the new Curio as well as the Park Lane. Location isn't a major factor - main thing is fancy and comfy hotel! Was wondering what people's opinions are on the best one to choose?

(as a side note - I am hilton gold, and read that I am very unlikely to get any benefits at the Curio - is this true of all properties when on the reward voucher?)

Thank you!
oh that is a hard one to answer as everyone has a different opinion........ my personal favourite is the Waldorf, I love the Art Deco design, it's definitely fancy and very comfy with a great spa pool and sauna to relax in......Bankside is very good too but much more modern with pool but no sauna, ....... I liked the Conrad but apparently the rooms are small ( I know mine was! ) ........ if you want a nearly guaranteed upgrade to executive level ( so you have lounge access) then book Hilton Canary Wharf, it has not failed me yet on executive upgrades even when I was gold , it's a great area too and downtown London is a boat journey takes about 1/2 hour as is fun!......or 15 mins on the tube.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wizla

oh that is a hard one to answer as everyone has a different opinion........ my personal favourite is the Waldorf, I love the Art Deco design, it's definitely fancy and very comfy with a great spa pool and sauna to relax in......Bankside is very good too but much more modern with pool but no sauna, ....... I liked the Conrad but apparently the rooms are small ( I know mine was! ) ........ if you want a nearly guaranteed upgrade to executive level ( so you have lounge access) then book Hilton Canary Wharf, it has not failed me yet on executive upgrades even when I was gold , it's a great area too and downtown London is a boat journey takes about 1/2 hour as is fun!......or 15 mins on the tube.
I stay at the Park Lane often. Upgrade can get you a view of Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace gardens, 5- minute walk to changing of the guard (11 am), and good people-watching.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:11 pm

I think the real question is... where will you stay the other days of your trip? Check the key hotels already mentioned (Conrad, Waldorf, maybe Trafalgar or Park lane) for the days around your weekend night. Would be best if you could stay at the same place the entirety of your trip, so the paid or points night availability could influence where you would want to stay.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xooz
I think the real question is... where will you stay the other days of your trip? Check the key hotels already mentioned (Conrad, Waldorf, maybe Trafalgar or Park lane) for the days around your weekend night. Would be best if you could stay at the same place the entirety of your trip, so the paid or points night availability could influence where you would want to stay.
The OP seems to me like a British resident living near but not IN London. So a Saturday night out in a nice hotel with the partner is the key, not to be close to a certain tourist attraction or have executive lounge access...

If the OP has children, maybe the Conrad and pick up a stuffed animal? Otherwise the top 3-4 Honors options are pretty obvious...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by craigthemif
The OP seems to me like a British resident living near but not IN London. So a Saturday night out in a nice hotel with the partner is the key, not to be close to a certain tourist attraction or have executive lounge access...

If the OP has children, maybe the Conrad and pick up a stuffed animal? Otherwise the top 3-4 Honors options are pretty obvious...
Just for the record (sorry to be pedantic), Conrad London doesn't provide a stuffed toy free of charge, they are unusual in that regard unfortunately. I believe you can purchase ones but just in case the OP does stay there...that they are not disappointed. Certainly most other Conrads do provide one FOC.

To the OP's question: as others have stated, and you have already read in other posts...a difficult question to answer well without really asking penetrating questions about your own style, personality, likes, etc...

I appreciate you are just looking to see if you can garner any other responses and more recent than other threads so here goes:

-Conrad/Waldorf/Bankside seem to be the best of the lot right now in London for a more upscale experience, including good lounges, good restaurants and decent beds. They can all be a bit hit and miss depending on recent reports and experiences so you may have a brilliant time and you may have a disappointing stay by previous poster comments. All have the potential to be very good, which will depend on some luck, good staff on the day, your own demeanour and not expecting too much and hopefully being pleasantly surprised if/when the stay exceeds base expectations.

-All may go out of their way to try and accommodate you if you give them a call or email to discuss the stay and explain the situation, they may not though. I have had good experiences at the Conrad and the Bankside personally each time I have been but maybe I am lucky and I haven't been in the last few months so things may have changed since. My last stay at Waldorf was too long ago to be of any use to you. wizla recommends it and he is very down to earth and a nice guy and I believe him so it should be good.

-You can get some better benefits, rooms, prices (if you do stay more than one night and need to pay for the other one(s)) but these tend to be either further out, not as nice in other aspects or have some other balancing aspect to them IMO, YMMV!

-I'm personally not a fan of the Park Lane, but that is just my own preferences. I find it too bling and flash for my tastes, it is certainly an interesting property with the lifts, location and opportunity to 'strut' or people watch as your style dictates! They do tend to give decent upgrades and treat status members well from other stay accounts.

-Trafalgar is just recently renovated and has had some good reports recently, it is brilliant for location, should be nice in any rooms and has decent breakfast. I don't remember if there is a lounge but I don't believe so unless it has been created in the renovation but that may not matter. It should exceed expectations for room and quality with a very good location to get out and enjoy this great city. It tends to be pricey though so wouldn't want to have to pay cash for the second night if you didn't want to move (if you stay more than one night)...for a one nighter, it may tick the boxes if you aren't too bothered about a lounge but want a decent room and location.

Hope that helps, likely just repeating what you know already or what others have said, enjoy and hope you have a great stay and brilliant time. It would be immensely useful to others and future people asking the question if you would be so kind as to come back and report where you did stay and how it was for you and your expectations so benefitting others in future if you wouldn't mind.

Safe travels.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by BotB
Just for the record (sorry to be pedantic), Conrad London doesn't provide a stuffed toy free of charge, they are unusual in that regard unfortunately. I believe you can purchase ones but just in case the OP does stay there...that they are not disappointed. Certainly most other Conrads do provide one FOC.

To the OP's question: as others have stated, and you have already read in other posts...a difficult question to answer well without really asking penetrating questions about your own style, personality, likes, etc...

I appreciate you are just looking to see if you can garner any other responses and more recent than other threads so here goes:

-Conrad/Waldorf/Bankside seem to be the best of the lot right now in London for a more upscale experience, including good lounges, good restaurants and decent beds. They can all be a bit hit and miss depending on recent reports and experiences so you may have a brilliant time and you may have a disappointing stay by previous poster comments. All have the potential to be very good, which will depend on some luck, good staff on the day, your own demeanour and not expecting too much and hopefully being pleasantly surprised if/when the stay exceeds base expectations.

-All may go out of their way to try and accommodate you if you give them a call or email to discuss the stay and explain the situation, they may not though. I have had good experiences at the Conrad and the Bankside personally each time I have been but maybe I am lucky and I haven't been in the last few months so things may have changed since. My last stay at Waldorf was too long ago to be of any use to you. wizla recommends it and he is very down to earth and a nice guy and I believe him so it should be good.

-You can get some better benefits, rooms, prices (if you do stay more than one night and need to pay for the other one(s)) but these tend to be either further out, not as nice in other aspects or have some other balancing aspect to them IMO, YMMV!

-I'm personally not a fan of the Park Lane, but that is just my own preferences. I find it too bling and flash for my tastes, it is certainly an interesting property with the lifts, location and opportunity to 'strut' or people watch as your style dictates! They do tend to give decent upgrades and treat status members well from other stay accounts.

-Trafalgar is just recently renovated and has had some good reports recently, it is brilliant for location, should be nice in any rooms and has decent breakfast. I don't remember if there is a lounge but I don't believe so unless it has been created in the renovation but that may not matter. It should exceed expectations for room and quality with a very good location to get out and enjoy this great city. It tends to be pricey though so wouldn't want to have to pay cash for the second night if you didn't want to move (if you stay more than one night)...for a one nighter, it may tick the boxes if you aren't too bothered about a lounge but want a decent room and location.

Hope that helps, likely just repeating what you know already or what others have said, enjoy and hope you have a great stay and brilliant time. It would be immensely useful to others and future people asking the question if you would be so kind as to come back and report where you did stay and how it was for you and your expectations so benefitting others in future if you wouldn't mind.

Safe travels.
Have taken your advice to come back and report! Spent 2 nights in London due to a meeting so managed to try 2 out: Waldorf and Conrad!

Waldorf
Positives:
Great Location
Loved the downstairs area with bar, piano area and outlook on to the street - could definitely spend a couple of several hours here people watching
Bathtub in the room (personally hate the move to showers only - particularly in posh hotels)
Nice toiletries in room
Design was actually nicer than I thought it would be - photos online are incredibly unflattering for the rooms

Negatives:
No upgrade - I know I shouldn't expect one as a Hilton Gold
Unfriendly check-in
Room small with no wow-factor
Other amenities in room not particularly special.
Genuinely think there is not a massive difference with the Hilton Euston which can be had for 130 pounds some nights of the week - and by all accounts is an uninspiring Hilton offering.
If I was paying with my own money I'd be v disappointed

Conrad
Positives
Great Location
Amazing check-in area and very friendly staff
Upgrade from my lowest tier room
Room very classy with separate showers, bathtub and toilet
Nice amenities in room with free chocolates/sweets, letter informing me of benefits, good coffee machine, lovely toiletries
Loved the bar and atmosphere throughout hotel
Genuinely have the comfiest bed/duvet I have ever experienced - if someone can point me in the direction of how to buy one I would be very appreciative albeit unlikely to ever get out of bed again.
No problems arranging late check-out - so could lay in the bed until 2pm.

Negatives
No access to executive lounge - again not expected as only gold
Would be quite pricey if was paying for the night

Overall
I've put some photos below - don't know if these are of any use given its just standard room photos. I guess if you were going to see a show then Waldorf is a lovely location, but for me the Conrad won hands-down in terms of overall experience. I have previously stayed in the Bankside and never failed to get an upgrade with amazing free mini bar etc, but I still prefer the Conrad.

Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:45 am

Here are some photos of my Waldorf room - think is the Queen room (lowest price room you can get).

Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by Mbrunz
Have taken your advice to come back and report! Spent 2 nights in London due to a meeting so managed to try 2 out: Waldorf and Conrad!

Waldorf
Positives:
Great Location
Loved the downstairs area with bar, piano area and outlook on to the street - could definitely spend a couple of several hours here people watching
Bathtub in the room (personally hate the move to showers only - particularly in posh hotels)
Nice toiletries in room
Design was actually nicer than I thought it would be - photos online are incredibly unflattering for the rooms

Negatives:
No upgrade - I know I shouldn't expect one as a Hilton Gold
Unfriendly check-in
Room small with no wow-factor
Other amenities in room not particularly special.
Genuinely think there is not a massive difference with the Hilton Euston which can be had for 130 pounds some nights of the week - and by all accounts is an uninspiring Hilton offering.
If I was paying with my own money I'd be v disappointed

Conrad
Positives
Great Location
Amazing check-in area and very friendly staff
Upgrade from my lowest tier room
Room very classy with separate showers, bathtub and toilet
Nice amenities in room with free chocolates/sweets, letter informing me of benefits, good coffee machine, lovely toiletries
Loved the bar and atmosphere throughout hotel
Genuinely have the comfiest bed/duvet I have ever experienced - if someone can point me in the direction of how to buy one I would be very appreciative albeit unlikely to ever get out of bed again.
No problems arranging late check-out - so could lay in the bed until 2pm.

Negatives
No access to executive lounge - again not expected as only gold
Would be quite pricey if was paying for the night

Overall
I've put some photos below - don't know if these are of any use given its just standard room photos. I guess if you were going to see a show then Waldorf is a lovely location, but for me the Conrad won hands-down in terms of overall experience. I have previously stayed in the Bankside and never failed to get an upgrade with amazing free mini bar etc, but I still prefer the Conrad.
Thanks, your feedback is greatly appreciated and useful to those giving advice and to those looking for some about where to stay with so much choice and it is really helpful when people do come back and say what their thoughts were and how things worked out. I know it takes time and effort to come back and type this out (especially as it's after you've been so are thinking about other things and looking to other opportunities but just really wanted to say thank you for your feedback as it should be useful for others (as someone that has asked for comments rather than the same old people responding with the same old advice )

Glad you had a good trip and could enjoy the two hotels with all their pro's and con's. ^

Safe travels, thanks again, great to see feedback. ^
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by BotB
Thanks, your feedback is greatly appreciated and useful to those giving advice and to those looking for some about where to stay with so much choice and it is really helpful when people do come back and say what their thoughts were and how things worked out. I know it takes time and effort to come back and type this out (especially as it's after you've been so are thinking about other things and looking to other opportunities but just really wanted to say thank you for your feedback as it should be useful for others (as someone that has asked for comments rather than the same old people responding with the same old advice )

Glad you had a good trip and could enjoy the two hotels with all their pro's and con's. ^

Safe travels, thanks again, great to see feedback. ^
Yes, same here....I appreciate the report too, I always enjoy reading Hilton reviews on here......... I do many reviews myself as I like to give something back for the many tips , ideas and advice I've received from flyertalk myself.......great work!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:25 am

Waldorf if you want to be nearer to the West End area (theatre, Covent Garden, etc), Conrad if you want to be nearer to the Palace, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, etc. If you're not bothered too much about the location,For me the Waldorf just wins for quality (I was upgraded to a lounge access room).
I found the Curio (The Trafalger) a bit quirky (it's a converted building) and noisy (it fronts onto Trafalger Square).
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
I'd broadly agree with this ranking - but my own view is that there isn't too much between them. Mostly, I choose based on price, but I am back in Bankside this weekend and chose it despite being a tiny bit more expensive. And really looking forward to getting back there.

I'm a major Bankside fan - and particularly fond of the lounge and the epic Bankside granola... but their evening offerings are less extensive than in the TB lounge. Swings and roundabouts everywhere!!
You reckon TB is a decent choice? Am going with a two-night stay in July. I looked at the reviews for Conrad, Bankside, Waldorf etc but I chose to go with TB because: Required a lot fewer points, person I'm with has trouble with walking long distances at times so the proximity to Tower Bridge and Borough Market is attractive, and I'm pretty sure there's a better selection of restaurants and pubs nearby. I THINK I've made the right choice but will be happy to receive any additional input.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by luke5111
You reckon TB is a decent choice? Am going with a two-night stay in July. I looked at the reviews for Conrad, Bankside, Waldorf etc but I chose to go with TB because: Required a lot fewer points, person I'm with has trouble with walking long distances at times so the proximity to Tower Bridge and Borough Market is attractive, and I'm pretty sure there's a better selection of restaurants and pubs nearby. I THINK I've made the right choice but will be happy to receive any additional input.
it's not a spectacular property but it is good and the staff are lovely. Try Maltby Street market instead of Borough btw. Also, the lounge terrace is nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.