Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Traveling to London over New Years and was deciding between the Hilton Park Lane or Conrad.

Booking on points so cost is the same. Is one clearly ahead of the other in terms of room quality and service?
Old Dec 15, 2022, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Traveling to London over New Years and was deciding between the Hilton Park Lane or Conrad.

Booking on points so cost is the same. Is one clearly ahead of the other in terms of room quality and service?
I've stayed at the conrad twice this year and honestly dont think I'll stay there ever again. It's an aging property that is in desperate need of a refresh/refurb. I've never stayed at the Park Lane hilton but can say the Trafalgar, Biltmore Mayfair, and Hilton Bankside are all excellent choices if they have standard award space. A friend of mine recently stayed at the Canopy by Hilton London City and she seemed to really like that property, so that may be one to consider as well.
wizla and FlyingFrZ like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Tastes will vary and these are two very different hotels. Park Lane is a large hotel at the edge of Mayfair with fantastic views from many/most rooms. Conrad is much smaller and in the middle of Westminster with a high staff ratio to guests. I would personally same on your criteria - room quality and service - the Conrad would be better over Park Lane, generally speaking. The other three in contention here would be Trafalgar, Bank Hilton and the Biltmore. The latter doesn't have many friends in this forum, though I had a good stay there a year ago.
FlyingFrZ likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 3:54 am

Thank you for the replies.

Billtmore and Trafalgar are sold out of standard awards unfortunately. The Waldorf is available though, but reading through the thread seems like it isn't recommended much.

I was going to go with the Conrad, but reading here it appears the property may getting long in the tooth. That's why I asked if the Park Lane might be a better choice.

The cash rates for the Park Lane are about Ł150 a night more than the Conrad for the same nights as well.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you for the replies.

Billtmore and Trafalgar are sold out of standard awards unfortunately. The Waldorf is available though, but reading through the thread seems like it isn't recommended much.

I was going to go with the Conrad, but reading here it appears the property may getting long in the tooth. That's why I asked if the Park Lane might be a better choice.

The cash rates for the Park Lane are about Ł150 a night more than the Conrad for the same nights as well.
I think the Waldorf is a good hotel in a great location, but while it has every right to use the name, it's not a Waldorf Astoria, so it's not in the same top tier (relatively) as the Conrad or Park Lane. If you think Conrad is long in the tooth (personally I don't think so), then Park Lane would not be the way to go. The Metropole has been refurbished more comprehensively and more recently, but it's also not a top tier hotel. Park Lane's location at the edge of Mayfair, and their long flagship style presence may explain the cost, along with their success with top dollar customers from the Middle East, but personally I'd say it was consistently over-priced on the whole. Still a good hotel though. This is a highly relative argument, it's not like there is a fundamental gap between the two hotels.
FlyingFrZ likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think the Waldorf is a good hotel in a great location, but while it has every right to use the name, it's not a Waldorf Astoria, so it's not in the same top tier (relatively) as the Conrad or Park Lane. If you think Conrad is long in the tooth (personally I don't think so), then Park Lane would not be the way to go. The Metropole has been refurbished more comprehensively and more recently, but it's also not a top tier hotel. Park Lane's location at the edge of Mayfair, and their long flagship style presence may explain the cost, along with their success with top dollar customers from the Middle East, but personally I'd say it was consistently over-priced on the whole. Still a good hotel though. This is a highly relative argument, it's not like there is a fundamental gap between the two hotels.
Thank you. I went ahead and tentatively booked the Conrad since I can cancel until a day before. I'll keep an eye to see if the Billtmore opens up any availability.

I know it's a little late planning at this point, but if anyone has recommendations for what to do in London for NYE would be appreciated. Looks like it's already too late to buy the fireworks tickets
Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mochajj87
I've stayed at the conrad twice this year and honestly dont think I'll stay there ever again. It's an aging property that is in desperate need of a refresh/refurb. I've never stayed at the Park Lane hilton but can say the Trafalgar, Biltmore Mayfair, and Hilton Bankside are all excellent choices if they have standard award space. A friend of mine recently stayed at the Canopy by Hilton London City and she seemed to really like that property, so that may be one to consider as well.
We've stayed at the Conrad and it was OK. Not spectacular, but OK. We recently stayed at Park Lane and, other than the location, we were not impressed. I would certainly give this a pass in the future. Waldorf is well-located for theatre, among other things, and we've stayed a few times. I would stay again. On our recent trip, we did visit Bankside and they showed us the lounge. I liked the place and we will likely stay in the future.

In a few weeks we're stating at Metropole. This is for proximity to Paddington (and comments that Metropole is better) as this is just an extended overnight prior to a trip to Spain. Comments are good, so looking forward to the short visit.

Cheers.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:41 am

Thank you. I went ahead and tentatively booked the Conrad since I can cancel until a day before. I'll keep an eye to see if the Billtmore opens up any availability.

I know it's a little late planning at this point, but if anyone has recommendations for what to do in London for NYE would be appreciated. Looks like it's already too late to buy the fireworks tickets
You should be able to see the fireworks from Cannon Street / Hanseatic Walk / Southwark Bridge area, which isn't in the ticketing zones. You would get a good view if you were prepared to hike up Primrose Hill, Chalk Hill Farm, which is north of the city centre, back of Regent's Park, but looks down on London. Also ask the Conrad concierge if they can get a restaurant booking at one of the restaurants with a view but that won't be a cheap meal.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:43 am

You should be able to see the fireworks from Cannon Street / Hanseatic Walk / Southwark Bridge area, which isn't in the ticketing zones. You would get a good view if you were prepared to hike up Primrose Hill, Chalk Hill Farm, which is north of the city centre, back of Regent's Park, but looks down on London. Also ask the Conrad concierge if they can get a restaurant booking at one of the restaurants with a view but that won't be a cheap meal.
Don't mind paying a premium for a great dinner with a fireworks view. Any recommendations?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:47 am

Don't mind paying a premium for a great dinner with a fireworks view. Any recommendations?
OXO Tower Brasserie was the one I was thinking of, and they are selling spaces still at Ł225 per person. OXO is one of London's better restaurants in my opinion.
FlyingFrZ likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:44 pm

OXO Tower Brasserie was the one I was thinking of, and they are selling spaces still at Ł225 per person. OXO is one of London's better restaurants in my opinion.
Was about to book here until I saw this

Please note:

The London NYE fireworks display is not visible from the OXO. Guests are welcome to walk down to the London Eye to view them but large crowds will be present and the event may be ticketed.
Champagne and Wine will be included in the ticket price. Both Restaurant and Brasserie bars will be open, any additional drinks will be added to the bill at the end of your evening.

​​
Old Dec 16, 2022, 2:16 pm

It's true that the main area of the fireworks is closer to London Eye, but I think you will get some visibility from OXO, even if it is a partial view.
FlyingFrZ likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
My personal favourite is the Waldorf but if I had to choose between the Conrad and park lane I would choose park lane, I feel it had the edge over the Conrad.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:48 am

It's true that the main area of the fireworks is closer to London Eye, but I think you will get some visibility from OXO, even if it is a partial view.
Thanks for the heads up
Old Jan 4, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Getting ready to go to London on Friday to stay at my favorite, Hilton Paddington.

I very much like the "travel hub" nature of this hotel. Come in on the Heathrow Express, or now the Elizabeth Line, then access to number of Tube lines for journeys through my stay (3 nights this time) in London.

Just got an email this evening informing me that, as a Diamond, I was upgraded from my Standard Double to a Queen Suite!

Was upgraded without asking when I stayed here in May too.

They have a very nice breakfast, love their potato wedges .

Now if my J upgrade on AA comes through.......
Sweet Willie and wizla like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.