Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom {GBR}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom {GBR}

Old Jul 31, 21, 8:19 am
  #151  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,066
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The usual alternative to the Conrad is Bankside, and Conrad has a locational advantage for many travellers, with many sights and facilities within walking distance or easy tube ride. So unless Bankside is a noticeably cheaper then you're probably better off at the Conrad. Canary Wharf is a good hotel in my view, if it was a lot cheaper and you had reasons to be on the eastern side of London, then it would be worthy of consideration.
bankside is actually more expensive on my dates. CW is about 40 cheaper but honestly I can get that much value in the lounge easy. At the end of a long day I really enjoy kicking back there. Sounds like Conrad is the way to go this trip.
sfgiants13 is offline  
Old Jul 31, 21, 8:28 am
  #152  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 16,849
Hi,

I stayed at

Conrad St James
Hilton on Park Lane
Bankside

in the past fortnight .
All three offered alcohol in the evening hours. All rooms were comfortable , large and very good a/cBriefly

160 is an excellent price for the Conrad. ( i was paying 182)

Conrad: Location is excellent for Westminster , St James's park , Green Park , Victoria, Churchill war rooms
External facing rooms can have some noise during the night ( sound proofing of the windows could be better).Courtyard views might be quieter
Lounge very good with soft drinks and tea /coffee available during the day ( prepacked biscuits available during my 2nd stay. Alcohol served 530 to 730 but often available till 8pm ish. Nice area to relax in during the day. Weekend evenings were busier but no problem getting seats.
Evening snacks a little poor ( crisps, savoury popcorn type crisps, selection of three small canapes ( 1 hot) , a ham/meat plate and a cheese plate ( all served to you by the staff). Not sure about if the choice will increase now
Breakfast in blue boar pub excellent
Across the road from St James's park underground ( Circle & District) and not too far ( 15mins or so ) walk to Vicorial for national rail & Victoria line)
No turndown service offered just now ( covid) and 2 restaurants and the lounge bar were due to open on the day i left
Good gym but parks excellent for evening running


Hilton on Park Lane

Excellent views (esp on higher floors)
Executive lounge replacement in part of Primo restaurant
Attendant service during the day for soft drinks & tea and coffee.
Self service evening drinks. Selection of self service hot and cold items ( plus pre wrapped brownie bars)
Good location at Park lane hyde park
Very good breakfast buffet
Bathroom was poorish with it steaming up very quickly when showering
Did not try the gym ( jogged to Royal Albert hall)

Bankside
Location close to Southwark underground ( Jubilee line) and from there to waterloo east
Short walk to the Thames path by Tate Modern ( then across the millenium bridge to St pauls) Can walk to London eye in one direction then to Tower Bridge, Shard, Globe , HMS Belfast to the east
Rooms large and quiet ( courtyard views)
Lounge reopened on 21st July ( open for juices and soft drinks , tea and coffee during the day) after the govt restrictions lifted ( previously it was a bento box in the bar iirc)
Evening snacks -excellent from 6pm -8pm ( best of three hotels) Several hot and cold items including salads hot items included rice, grilled chicken, quiche. Small cube sized cakes for desert. All food self service. Alcohol served by staff but they were great at offering top ops of my prosecco pro actively.
Looked like hotel could get more lively at weekends ( saw lots of people in the lobby area last Friday when checking out). Friday arrivals appeared to be offered prosecco on check in ( I got offered water on a wednesday arrival- no biggie)
Breakfast Buffet in restaurant was excellent .self service with unusual items ie prawn cocktail , coconut milk etc
Swimming pool and Gym ( needed to prebook) in basement. Pool is good. Gym looked like same amount of equipment as the Conrad

Very impressed by Bankside ( esp the lounge offerings compared to the more limited conrad selection) but loved the location of the Conrad so a little torn.

Hope this helps

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 31, 21 at 9:45 am
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Old Jul 31, 21, 11:34 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,066
Thanks for that. Lot of good info.
sfgiants13 is offline  
Old Jul 31, 21, 12:17 pm
  #154  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: norwich, uk
Programs: hhonors diamond
Posts: 5,042
Originally Posted by sfgiants13 View Post
bankside is actually more expensive on my dates. CW is about 40 cheaper but honestly I can get that much value in the lounge easy. At the end of a long day I really enjoy kicking back there. Sounds like Conrad is the way to go this trip.
To be honest yes the lounge isnt open at Canary Wharf but they do give 2 drink vouchers ( for any drink including alcohol) and a decent mezzo board from the bar in the evening with no time restrictions, they also let you have free tea and coffee in the bar all day too .
Its not perfect but its not a bad alternative to the lounge, they also have a decent sauna that is nearly always empty..worth a thought.Im there again myself Wednesday night.
wizla is offline  
Old Aug 1, 21, 11:14 am
  #155  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond
Posts: 1,114
I live here so no idea about the hotel facilities.

But location wise what do you want to do/see? All four of the hotels are well connected by tube, but say Canary Wharf to Kings Cross is a 30 min journey so it can all add up.
lcylocal is offline  
Old Aug 1, 21, 12:28 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Posts: 414
Do doubletree's in the UK not provide the choco cookies? Staying at the doubletree Kensington and didn't get one or see anyone offered one.
itisme is offline  
Old Aug 1, 21, 12:39 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,912
Originally Posted by itisme View Post
Do doubletree's in the UK not provide the choco cookies? Staying at the doubletree Kensington and didn't get one or see anyone offered one.
Supply chain issues ... The last time I stayed at a DT in the UK, I got my cookie, but don't know about the current situation.
teemuflyer is offline  
Old Aug 1, 21, 1:04 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,066
Originally Posted by lcylocal View Post
I live here so no idea about the hotel facilities.

But location wise what do you want to do/see? All four of the hotels are well connected by tube, but say Canary Wharf to Kings Cross is a 30 min journey so it can all add up.
Mostly just a lot of walking seeing the sites. No real plans just out enjoying my first Europe trip since covid. The looming tube strike closing the station next to the conrad kind of has me rethinking the conrad though. Its not that far of a walk from the other lines but still annoying.
sfgiants13 is offline  
Old Aug 1, 21, 1:15 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Posts: 343
Personally, I like the Doubletree by Hilton West End which is right by Holborn Tube for the central and Piccadilly lines - and major buses - also West End adjacent so great for walking to covent garden area near by - on certain days they have crafts fairs- but don't know if reopened completely. Also depending upon which property you stay at, call to check what services they have. Many have limited food, exercise center, etc. I have an earlier review in this chain. They try to offer Diamonds really nice upgrades when not full and pre-covid had a pretty decent free breakfast buffet for diamonds and you can ask for eggs cooked to order.
LHR Wannabee is offline  
Old Aug 1, 21, 3:21 pm
  #160  
skj
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,874
Originally Posted by itisme View Post
Do doubletree's in the UK not provide the choco cookies? Staying at the doubletree Kensington and didn't get one or see anyone offered one.
Please add your thoughts on this DT either here or in the review thread. We like the location and are considering a stay here the end of September.
itisme likes this.
skj is offline  
Old Aug 1, 21, 5:07 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat, HY Globule
Posts: 3,260
I stayed at Tower Bridge many years ago and found it perfectly fine. After reading, it seems as if Tower Bridge is a poor man's Bankside. In looking at price and point requirements, there is usually a decent separation between the two. Any way to think about how to assess the pricing differences and whether it is "worth it" to go for Bankside? I understand that such price assessments are always subjective, but just curious how others might decide between the two.
xooz is offline  
Old Aug 2, 21, 1:57 am
  #162  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond
Posts: 1,114
Originally Posted by sfgiants13 View Post
Mostly just a lot of walking seeing the sites. No real plans just out enjoying my first Europe trip since covid. The looming tube strike closing the station next to the conrad kind of has me rethinking the conrad though. Its not that far of a walk from the other lines but still annoying.
The strike is on the whole network unfortunately. St Jamess Park and the whole southern section of the District/Circle line is closed anyway due to engineering work: https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike

It is hard to know how the impact of this strike will manifest itself (if it goes ahead - there are lots of 11th hour deals) as there hasnt been one since Covid and tube numbers are still well down on pre-Covid and it will be easier for some people to switch back to working from home.

But previously the strikes move a lot of people to the roads and the river, making taxis, buses and river boats trickier, so your best bet will be walking. On that basis I would choose the Conrad, there is lots to see around it and there are nice walking routes through the parks too. I would though come up with a plan to get in and out.

It is very pleasant in London though at the moment. Still a fewer people than normal for August. And the weather is fairly warm (with lots of showers, bring a rain coat).
lcylocal is offline  
Old Aug 2, 21, 2:43 am
  #163  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 58,326
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
I stayed at Tower Bridge many years ago and found it perfectly fine. After reading, it seems as if Tower Bridge is a poor man's Bankside. In looking at price and point requirements, there is usually a decent separation between the two. Any way to think about how to assess the pricing differences and whether it is "worth it" to go for Bankside? I understand that such price assessments are always subjective, but just curious how others might decide between the two.
My view is that Bankside is a bit of an outlier compared to other Hiltons in London, it straddles the line between Hilton and Conrad in a way. Canary Wharf would be in this category too. It's modern, well run, the rooms are a decent size (some Tower Bridge rooms are quite small in comparison), the decor, stafffing, facilities, dining is just more upscale than most Hiltons. In the past it used to price itself accordingly, it was often the most expensive option. The other downside is the location isn't perfect, it's not in the centre of town nor immediately opposite a tube station, the bus links are weaker too. Then it's a subjective opinion as to whether it is worth paying extra for it, many people in this forum do, and I have done that if the extra cost is relatively low, some find other Hiltons to be better value according to their needs. Granola isn't something that blips on my radar for example!
The _Banking_Scot and xooz like this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Aug 2, 21, 6:33 am
  #164  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,066
Originally Posted by lcylocal View Post
The strike is on the whole network unfortunately. St Jamess Park and the whole southern section of the District/Circle line is closed anyway due to engineering work: https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike

It is hard to know how the impact of this strike will manifest itself (if it goes ahead - there are lots of 11th hour deals) as there hasnt been one since Covid and tube numbers are still well down on pre-Covid and it will be easier for some people to switch back to working from home.

But previously the strikes move a lot of people to the roads and the river, making taxis, buses and river boats trickier, so your best bet will be walking. On that basis I would choose the Conrad, there is lots to see around it and there are nice walking routes through the parks too. I would though come up with a plan to get in and out.

It is very pleasant in London though at the moment. Still a fewer people than normal for August. And the weather is fairly warm (with lots of showers, bring a rain coat).
Thanks. Hopefully no issue for on the Piccadilly line from the airport. Ill be able to walk most places once I get in. Gonna be a bit of a pain walking with luggage to a further station but oh well.

edit: unless talks end up working out I may have to cancel. It looks like all lines will be cut on the day Im trying to get in. Sounds like too much of a hassle just to get to the hotel since I dont really want to add in taxi fare to the cost.

Last edited by sfgiants13; Aug 2, 21 at 8:52 am
sfgiants13 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 21, 9:47 am
  #165  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond
Posts: 1,114
Originally Posted by sfgiants13 View Post
Thanks. Hopefully no issue for on the Piccadilly line from the airport. Ill be able to walk most places once I get in. Gonna be a bit of a pain walking with luggage to a further station but oh well.

edit: unless talks end up working out I may have to cancel. It looks like all lines will be cut on the day Im trying to get in. Sounds like too much of a hassle just to get to the hotel since I dont really want to add in taxi fare to the cost.
The strike is suspended. Hope you didnt cancel. Sorry these things have a habit of going to the wire.
lcylocal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread