Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Budapest City (was Hilton Budapest WestEnd) {HUN} (no longer Hilton Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Budapest City (was Hilton Budapest WestEnd) {HUN} (no longer Hilton Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
Call the hotel. I have stayed here 3 times in the past few years and they treat elites very well, even a lowly gold like myself
Old Jun 27, 2009, 3:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

See if you can get the name of the GM by calling the Diamond Desk or the hotel. Then send a fax with your request.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, Honors Plat, MeliaRewards Gold, SPG dead, AF Frequence+ forever
No recent report on this hotel, so this is mine! Had a nice stay for New Year '16. Had to use points to book an Executive room (57K/night, correct), due to no other availability. In Hungary, 20% tax are added to internet rates, so total was ca. €200.
Had an issue at check-in, as room was not ready and the lady at front desk did not want to change the room I had selected online. Room was nice, nice bed and enough heating (heating can be a problem in winter in Hungarian hotels).
Executive lounge , although small, provided good offer for breakfast (breakfast in restaurant not allowed), small cakes in the afternoon and enough food to skip dinner in the evening (6-8pm). Correct wines and spirits (unlike most lounges in Europe!). Lounge hours 5am-11pm, soft and hot drinks outside food hours.
All in all, very nice stay once check-in was passed!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I could not find a thread for the Budapest City (West) Hilton, so I will make a note here.

I needed to extend our stay by a day and the rate at the Castle Hilton had jumped up, so I went ahead and made a reservation here to see how it compares.

We took the 16 bus to Deak Ter and actually went across the street and did laundry (bubbles dot hu). Cheap and fast. Then we dropped down into the subway and bought 10 transit tickets for 3000huf. Unlike the buses, there were ticket inspectors everywhere. We took the blue M3 line up 2 stops and walked another short block to the Hilton. We plan to take the metro out to the airport tomorrow, same line, just other direction to the end.

The Hilton is sort of in the middle of the big mall building. It has an obvious outside entrance and an interior door into the mall from the lobby. Reception was cool and minimal. She mentioned breakfast in the lounge, but I failed to ask about the restaurant for breakfast.

We had booked the cheapest rate as a diamond, but upgraded to a fairly large 'junior suite'. Two rooms but no door between them. Separate shower and tub. Cool nordic type design, modern and minimalist, beige and light woods. Reminded me of a very nice Marriott room.

A plate of cakes and sparkling wine was delivered. Both nice. We went up to check out 'tea time' in the lounge. The lounge is small and looks out at roof tops. After the last 3 nights at the castle with the stunning lounge view of the river and parliment building, this wasn't much. Cakes and soft drinks were good.

Wandered into the mall and it could have been any number of malls in any number of countries. Very busy, tho.

We are turning in early and will not be able to report on happy hour in the lounge.

The Castle Hilton is 'remarkable', this one is simply 'very good'.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
I could not find a thread for the Budapest City (West) Hilton, so I will make a note here.

I needed to extend our stay by a day and the rate at the Castle Hilton had jumped up, so I went ahead and made a reservation here to see how it compares.

We took the 16 bus to Deak Ter and actually went across the street and did laundry (bubbles dot hu). Cheap and fast. Then we dropped down into the subway and bought 10 transit tickets for 3000huf. Unlike the buses, there were ticket inspectors everywhere. We took the blue M3 line up 2 stops and walked another short block to the Hilton. We plan to take the metro out to the airport tomorrow, same line, just other direction to the end.

The Hilton is sort of in the middle of the big mall building. It has an obvious outside entrance and an interior door into the mall from the lobby. Reception was cool and minimal. She mentioned breakfast in the lounge, but I failed to ask about the restaurant for breakfast.

We had booked the cheapest rate as a diamond, but upgraded to a fairly large 'junior suite'. Two rooms but no door between them. Separate shower and tub. Cool nordic type design, modern and minimalist, beige and light woods. Reminded me of a very nice Marriott room.

A plate of cakes and sparkling wine was delivered. Both nice. We went up to check out 'tea time' in the lounge. The lounge is small and looks out at roof tops. After the last 3 nights at the castle with the stunning lounge view of the river and parliment building, this wasn't much. Cakes and soft drinks were good.

Wandered into the mall and it could have been any number of malls in any number of countries. Very busy, tho.

We are turning in early and will not be able to report on happy hour in the lounge.

The Castle Hilton is 'remarkable', this one is simply 'very good'.
Thanks for the report. Fair bit of discussion here. Discussion Hilton HHonors Hotels Budapest.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:30 am

A report on a recent 5-nght stay here:

Good, but not great. The hotel sits alongside a major thoroughfare that inexplicably lacks crosswalks at some intersections. It backs up against a large mall and the rail yards for Nyugati Palyaudvar (one of the two main rail stations), so there's only one route on foot toward the city center. That path leads you, about 1-2 blocks south, to an extremely pedestrian-unfriendly intersection with a highway style overpass. Right now there's construction in this zone, so navigating above ground on foot is even more cumbersome. Also, the train station has the usual share of unsavory characters hanging out; we never felt unsafe, but it's just one more obstacle to avoid.

Notwithstanding all of the above, there are several saving graces. Most importantly, you're close not only to intercity/international rail service, but also to
  • the Nyugati Palyaudvar subway stop on line 3, which runs directly into the center city
  • tram lines 4 & 6
  • bus #9
We used all of these with ease. (The local transit authority has an excellent English-language guide to the system.) On leaving, we also took the 76 trolley-bus--which stops 2 or 3 blocks north, at Lehel ter--directly to the other big train station, Keleti Palyaudvar.

The trick to using the subway, and to navigating around the nearby roadways to the south, is the complex of underground passageways. The directional signage for all modes--both the subway and above-ground services--is very good. One key takeaway we figured out after a few days: the street-level exits/entrances are also labeled. (Look for the black letters in large orange circles.) Stairway "B" is closest to the hotel.
Check-in
Quick and courteous.
Status recognition
The FDC noted my Gold status and provided info on breakfast in the lounge. When I asked about eating breakfast in the restaurant, he indicated that it wasn't technically permitted--and then promptly put me on the list before I could say anything more. (See also below under "Room.")
Room
I was upgraded to a very large (non-suite) 3rd-floor room with a walk-in closet. Views out over the mall & train station were OK, but not spectacular. In addition to the room upgrade, I also received two splits of red wine and a plate of petit fours as well as two bottles of water (which were replenished every other day).

Furnishings & decor seemed a little dated, but were in good condition. Blackout drapes worked as well as you could ever ask for. Good desk/work area with adequate electrical outlets (needed since bedside tables had none).

Bathroom had both a tub (not used) and a glass shower enclosure. Good counter space on sink and non-slamming seat/cover on toilet^. The seal on the shower wall (or door gasket) had a small leak that left water pooling on the floor next to the toilet, but I've seen a lot worse. Amenities included sewing kit.
Wifi
Worked well both in the room and in the lounge (including the terrace).
Housekeeping/maintenance
Good service. Received extra bar soap in response a note I left, and the housekeepers respected our DND sign at all times. When one of the lights in the bath stopped working, maintenance repaired it on request while we were out.
Lounge/restaurant
Review of breakfast offerings here.

General commentary on the excellent lounge here.
Miscellaneous
Elevators were very slow at times & behaved weirdly. (You'd often see one go up from 1 to 2 and the descend again instead of continuing to the 3rd floor.) One of the 3 elevators seemed to be out of service.

Front desk had no trouble breaking large bills into smaller ones or coins.
Overall
I could wish for this property to be a bit closer to the city center, but it's an all-around solid choice, especially if you're Gold/Diamond or otherwise have access to the lounge.

Last edited by beltway; Sep 26, 2017 at 6:10 am
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
During my week staying at Doubletree Bratislava, I jumped on the train to head to Budapest for the day. Spent the day exploring the city , thermal baths, opera house tour, walking the street of this amazing city. With train time table in hand I had back to the station Nyugati Palyaudvar to find out that the last train to Bratislava leaves from the cities other main station. Jumped on the app to find the HIlton Budapest city was three minutes away, booked a room. Check in was great the gentleman couldn’t have been friendly, upgraded me to a wonderful executive room overlooking the street , three drink vouchers for the bar ( lounge had closed for the night ) double checked the train times for the following morning.

Breakfast served the following morning in the restaurant, yet again really wonderful staff. Upon check out a staff member walked me to the station to make sure went smoothly.

While it might not be in the central of the city, it was a wonderful experience.

Highly recommended
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Just finished a three night stay. Excellent Diamond recognition with an upgrade from a standard room to Executive Suite. Lounge offers a great spread including gluten free options. Certainly can make a meal of the offerings. Last night was Pork Wellington, Vegetable Pasta and Salmon. Good selection of beverages also on offer. Breakfast was also good with a wide selection. Was not offered breakfast in the main restaurant which was probably a good idea as hotel was full of Chinese Tourists.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Had a recent 1-night stay here. Upgraded from King Guest Room to King Junior Suite on executive floor. Room was a bit old and not non-smoking. Welcome gift was two small bottles of red wine. However, we were amazed to find out that one of the bottles had been opened before and someone seemed to have consumed a sip or two.

Offered breakfast in the lounge, selection was good and staff proactive. Cocktail hour from 6-8, food items were enough to make a meal. I recall the meatballs were fantastic. The lounge can get crowded fast during the winter, as the "terrace" area might be unusable because of the weather.

Despite the great upgrade, and nice EL, I prefer the other Hilton in Budapest, which IMO wins on every other aspect except location for business travellers.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by SuloL
The lounge can get crowded fast during the winter, as the "terrace" area might be unusable because of the weather.
The terrace has rolldown enclosures and heat lamps. Were they not deployed?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by beltway
The terrace has rolldown enclosures and heat lamps. Were they not deployed?
If I recall correctly, there was some kind of an issue with them. At least they were not deployed. We were early and managed to snag seats inside, but I saw a few people go in and come out very fast.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:25 am

We stayed at this property for 2 nights over Easter break. Hotel was at 100% occupancy with a Viking Cruises group and a Chinese tour group, but we were still upgraded from base to Executive room as HH Gold.

Received 2 bottles of wine and a plate of pastries as a welcome gift. Breakfast was offered either in the Lounge (which was empty almost all the time) or in the restaurant (which was horribly crowded with the groups). Breakfast selection in the lounge was perfectly adequate and the staff offered to procure any made-to-order options from downstairs if you wanted.

The location was excellent - it is attached to the West End mall and the Nyugati railway station, and just a few minutes taxi ride away from virtually all tourist sites.

Requested late checkout till 1400hrs that they could not confirm initially due to the 100% occupancy but asked to check back on morning of departure, at which time 1500hrs was granted. We eventually checked out around 1330hrs and they happily held our bags while we went to the mall for lunch.

The only issue was a spurious charge for 11 EUR per night at checkout which they claimed was for an e-Standby upgrade to Executive Room, but after I told them that should have been a complimentary upgrade as HH Gold they called the duty manager who quickly removed the charge and offered a complimentary transfer to the airport as an apology for the mix-up (we declined as we already had our transfer booked).
beltway likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:28 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Stay Report: Hilton Budapest City King Executive Suite

Hilton Budapest City

Last edited by Konismarck; Jun 3, 2018 at 9:51 am Reason: font size
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Konismarck
there was no recognition during breakfast.
Seriously? You expect "recognition" at breakfast?

Originally Posted by Konismarck
the young lady working in the lounge spent five minutes of her personal time to cut a kiwi into pieces with a fork for me.
I bet that was the highlight of her day.

I don't like the large images clogging up threads. Do we really need pics of the closet doors, the refrigerator, the iron, and the tea kettle?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 21, 2018 at 2:40 pm Reason: quote of deleted post
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Do we really need to see so many artless pictures of things like a wardrobe door (open and closed) and a minibar (open and closed)? It's a bog standard Hilton - we've seen it all a million times before. What were you expecting to find in Hilton Budapest City? Herds of Wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? (apologies to John Cleese)

Your posts and pictures add no value, and no... I won't be clicking the link to your blog.
hugolover and arlflyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.