Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort {MEX} [leaving Hilton on October 31, 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort {MEX} [leaving Hilton on October 31, 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
I’m curious about the upgrade, too. How many people in your reservation?

As far as drinks... when I was ordering them from my Cabana, I couldn’t say for sure what was being brought to me. The drinks might have been a little week, but they kept on coming! I did learn that if you take your own cup/mug/thermos/Yeti/etc., they will fill it for you. 😉
We are two adults.

I stayed at the Ziva a few years ago and the diamond bracelet included high end tequila like Herradura Anejo. If that’s the case, I can go through quite a bit in a few days 🙏
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:03 am

Just completed a six night stay over Christmas as diamond. We had a group of 5 across two rooms. We were with kids, so Hacienda rooms were out of the question. We booked on points into a standard room. We were placed into connecting rooms and upgraded to Deluxe Ocean view rooms. These were rooms on floor 6 (of 8 levels) in the center of the building. The view from the room was spectacular, overlooking the pool and ocean. From floor 6, while laying in bed and looking out all you could see was ocean and mountains - it was incredible to just gaze.

The green diamond wristband did not seem to do anything special. We mostly drank beer (Modelo on draft, both especial and negro), but when we did order liquor, we ordered directly from the bar rather than a server. We would ask for the liquor by brand, as they had different options for tequila, vodka, etc. I never saw a bartender deny anyone if someone asked for a premium liquor and did not have an elite wristband.

The food overall was hit or miss. Breakfast was fine with plenty of options and made to order eggs. Best lunch item was the tortilla chips with fresh pico and guac. The rest of the lunch items are all buffet, and nothing memorable. Only once out of 6 nights was there a taco bar, which seemed like a missed opportunity. Most other resorts in MX have taco carts or options to order poolside.

For dinner, you can make reservations. Each Sunday the concierge begins accepting reservations for the week. Feel free to email them in advance of your trip, especially on the Sunday of the week of your arrival. Both the Mexican and Mediterranean restaurants are on the Hacienda adults only section. Kids are allowed for dinner. Both of these were nice restaurants with good selections. The Italian and French restaurants are located at the main property. Italian was meh, and we opted to not even try the French. As many have stated in other posts or threads, you can take a $5 uber into town and grab some better food, but overall, dining was acceptable at the Hilton. If I were to go back, I'd only do dinners at the Mexican and Mediterranean, just trying new items each time.

Talking with folks staying on the Hacienda side, many of them stated they liked their newer room, but the vibe at Hacienda side was too low-key. While yes there are plenty of kids and families at the main property, that is also where there is more action and fun. If one wants to just cozy up with a book and a cocktail, then the Hacienda pool would be great. However, if you want to people watch, have ocean views, listen to music, etc, then the main pool is the way to go.

The shining star is the roof top bar at the main property. It is adults only and has amazing views up and down the coast. The bar has some additional liquors not found at the main lobby bar as well. They serve sushi, but I was a bit hesitant with the options. We mainly stuck to vegetarian rolls, but they did offer a wide selection - many with imitation crab and such. However, a good veg roll with spicy soy, wasabi, and an ice cold margarita while looking at endless miles of coastline was pretty special - not bad for Christmas day!

The resort never felt over crowded, but you do have to fight for beach chairs - which sucks. I'd go down around 7:15 to snag three chairs in the same area each day as our pool server was great and we wanted him each day. We'd return to the chairs around 8:30 after some coffee, then we'd head to breakfast. By 9am, all chairs were often taken, and many folks would then have to grab chairs out at the beach (not bad, but not as good as the pool).

Overall, I'd return, especially if prices were cheap. Our only other comparison for MX property is the Ziva in Los Cabos, which is great. This Hilton is certainly not as nice in any comparison to Ziva Cabo.

I hope this helps others!
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by greenbags125
We’re staying in a week and got upgraded to the Hacienda as Diamond. Would like to read if the top shelf liquor with the green wristband was really “top shelf”.
I've always ordered Don Julio as my Tequila here and it was no problem I think my concierge at check-in told me this was a Diamond perk.Stayed at this property several times and its always great service.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by twitch76
Any recent reviews here? We’re going for five days next month. Anything I should know specific to the resort?
If they offer a paid upgrade to the suites (Hot Tub or Plunge Pool ) take it.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by dprocuk
Just completed a six night stay over Christmas as diamond. We had a group of 5 across two rooms. We were with kids, so Hacienda rooms were out of the question. We booked on points into a standard room. We were placed into connecting rooms and upgraded to Deluxe Ocean view rooms. These were rooms on floor 6 (of 8 levels) in the center of the building. The view from the room was spectacular, overlooking the pool and ocean. From floor 6, while laying in bed and looking out all you could see was ocean and mountains - it was incredible to just gaze.

The green diamond wristband did not seem to do anything special. We mostly drank beer (Modelo on draft, both especial and negro), but when we did order liquor, we ordered directly from the bar rather than a server. We would ask for the liquor by brand, as they had different options for tequila, vodka, etc. I never saw a bartender deny anyone if someone asked for a premium liquor and did not have an elite wristband.

The food overall was hit or miss. Breakfast was fine with plenty of options and made to order eggs. Best lunch item was the tortilla chips with fresh pico and guac. The rest of the lunch items are all buffet, and nothing memorable. Only once out of 6 nights was there a taco bar, which seemed like a missed opportunity. Most other resorts in MX have taco carts or options to order poolside.

For dinner, you can make reservations. Each Sunday the concierge begins accepting reservations for the week. Feel free to email them in advance of your trip, especially on the Sunday of the week of your arrival. Both the Mexican and Mediterranean restaurants are on the Hacienda adults only section. Kids are allowed for dinner. Both of these were nice restaurants with good selections. The Italian and French restaurants are located at the main property. Italian was meh, and we opted to not even try the French. As many have stated in other posts or threads, you can take a $5 uber into town and grab some better food, but overall, dining was acceptable at the Hilton. If I were to go back, I'd only do dinners at the Mexican and Mediterranean, just trying new items each time.

Talking with folks staying on the Hacienda side, many of them stated they liked their newer room, but the vibe at Hacienda side was too low-key. While yes there are plenty of kids and families at the main property, that is also where there is more action and fun. If one wants to just cozy up with a book and a cocktail, then the Hacienda pool would be great. However, if you want to people watch, have ocean views, listen to music, etc, then the main pool is the way to go.

The shining star is the roof top bar at the main property. It is adults only and has amazing views up and down the coast. The bar has some additional liquors not found at the main lobby bar as well. They serve sushi, but I was a bit hesitant with the options. We mainly stuck to vegetarian rolls, but they did offer a wide selection - many with imitation crab and such. However, a good veg roll with spicy soy, wasabi, and an ice cold margarita while looking at endless miles of coastline was pretty special - not bad for Christmas day!

The resort never felt over crowded, but you do have to fight for beach chairs - which sucks. I'd go down around 7:15 to snag three chairs in the same area each day as our pool server was great and we wanted him each day. We'd return to the chairs around 8:30 after some coffee, then we'd head to breakfast. By 9am, all chairs were often taken, and many folks would then have to grab chairs out at the beach (not bad, but not as good as the pool).

Overall, I'd return, especially if prices were cheap. Our only other comparison for MX property is the Ziva in Los Cabos, which is great. This Hilton is certainly not as nice in any comparison to Ziva Cabo.

I hope this helps others!
How was the weather? Were you able to swim in the pool and ocean everyday? I went to Cancun several times during Christmas but when it’s windy it too chilly to swim so I thought Puerto Vallarta would be similar.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
How was the weather? Were you able to swim in the pool and ocean everyday? I went to Cancun several times during Christmas but when it’s windy it too chilly to swim so I thought Puerto Vallarta would be similar.
Cancun and Puerto Vallarta are on completely different bodies of water and 1100 miles apart as the crow flies...
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Weather was low to mid 80s the entire trip, aside from one day with light rain. Hilton hotel had two main pools. One heated and one not heated. We were able to swim in both, although the heated pool was preferred. The rooftop infinity pool for adults did not feel heated, and while brisk, the views made up for the colder water.
lincoln boy likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Has anyone booked a package vacation here (air + hotel)? I emailed to ask about benefits for Diamonds, and was told "Diamond benefits apply only when you make your reservation directly in our website." So booking through Expedia or other tour companies for a package negates Diamond benefits?!?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by GJS - yow
Has anyone booked a package vacation here (air + hotel)? I emailed to ask about benefits for Diamonds, and was told "Diamond benefits apply only when you make your reservation directly in our website." So booking through Expedia or other tour companies for a package negates Diamond benefits?!?
Those are the well-publicized terms of the Hilton Honors program. Benefits do not apply to OTA bookings.While some properties may do otherwise, they are simply following the rules and you shouldn't be surprised ?!?!?!
Old Aug 15, 2020, 10:18 am

Bumping this to get people's thoughts - how big of a step down is the Hilton PV from the Hilton Playa del Carmen (or Hyatt Zilara Cancun, which has a similar architecture/rooms/restaurants as both are run by Playa Hotels)? Looking to go next Spring and rates are low enough that I wouldn't feel the need to stay on-property for eating/drinking the entire time, which I don't think I'd want to do as PV is pretty fun.

Looking at reviews, it definitely appears to be a step down, but I want to confirm with others before I book over another AI like Secrets. I'm a Diamond, so it sounds like I would get some decent alcohol brands at least.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Bumping this to get people's thoughts - how big of a step down is the Hilton PV from the Hilton Playa del Carmen (or Hyatt Zilara Cancun, which has a similar architecture/rooms/restaurants as both are run by Playa Hotels)? Looking to go next Spring and rates are low enough that I wouldn't feel the need to stay on-property for eating/drinking the entire time, which I don't think I'd want to do as PV is pretty fun.

Looking at reviews, it definitely appears to be a step down, but I want to confirm with others before I book over another AI like Secrets. I'm a Diamond, so it sounds like I would get some decent alcohol brands at least.
I can’t compare to your listed hotels, but quite honestly, we were sort of “meh” about this resort. I’ve never stayed at a Couples or Sandals, but at a Sandos in Cabo, and have talked with people who love Couples. This property is not like those.

They lied to us at checkin about availability of diamond upgrades, the hotel is not in great repair (kind of tired), the public areas (stairs/hallways) are not well cleaned, and the food is good but not amazing. The resort is definitely on the small side, but you’re going to go into town anyway. The beach fiesta buffet was fun enough that we went twice. We had booked with points and got a good deal in that regard, so it wasn’t a bad stay. But we probably wouldn’t go out of our way to stay there again. We went in January of 2020.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:45 am

Ive stayed at both the PV and PdC Hiltons. The biggest difference is that the Playa del Carmen location is *in town* and the Puerto Vallarta property is in resortville outside of town. Completely different experiences. That said, i found the PdC property much more upscale and in better condition. For Puerto Vallarta, I have given up on chains and stay downtown in a condo or Airbnb or smaller property.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Ive stayed at both the PV and PdC Hiltons. The biggest difference is that the Playa del Carmen location is *in town* and the Puerto Vallarta property is in resortville outside of town. Completely different experiences. That said, i found the PdC property much more upscale and in better condition. For Puerto Vallarta, I have given up on chains and stay downtown in a condo or Airbnb or smaller property.
Thanks! Will probably skip the Hilton given that the reviews are not great, even if the rate is good. Debating between something downtown that's not AI and the Secrets which isn't too bad at $1200 total for 4 nights and includes 50k Choice points (which should get us a couple nights at a decent downtown Cambria at some point in the future), has things to do right outside the resort, and is less than 10 minutes to the Zona Romantica.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:28 pm

Thanks! Will probably skip the Hilton given that the reviews are not great, even if the rate is good. Debating between something downtown that's not AI and the Secrets which isn't too bad at $1200 total for 4 nights and includes 50k Choice points (which should get us a couple nights at a decent downtown Cambria at some point in the future), has things to do right outside the resort, and is less than 10 minutes to the Zona Romantica.
We stayed there on points last year and were happy with it. Paid a few more points to stay on the adult only half of the resort and no Diamond upgrade but that's OK. First time I had ever stayed at an all inclusive. Food was pretty good, but I don't have any other all inclusives to compare it to. We plenty of meals off resort as well. Spa was nice, beach was good, regular pool was pretty crowded but there were also two adult only pools, one was kind of crowded with a party atmosphere and swim up bar and the other was nice and empty but no bar. I thought it was a good deal for the points it cost. Probably would look more closely at other options if we were paying cash but I would stay there again on points.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Just finished a 2 night stay here.

Nice enough hotel, I've never stayed at an all inclusive before, and didnt base my meals around it. My room wasn't ready when I arrived, but they'd upgraded me to ocean view on the top floor which was nice and gave me a wristband so I went and got a bite to eat.

Definitely more 'action' on the hilton side then the hacienda side, though the food seemed better at the hacienda, I ate a couple of times at the hacienda pool side snack bar, where the ceviche and guac were great. Hacienda definitely newer and sharper. But hilton was 50k points and hacienda 100k and you're basically sharing restaurants and facilities, so personally I wouldnt bother.

Highlight for me was the staff, all lovely, friendly and good sense of humour, so for that I'd certainly stay.

I used 50k points and the second night was $262, but I had to burn $250 aspire amex credit so thats why I did that. Would I pay $262? no probably not, but I'm not someone that wants to spend all day by the pool drinking as much as I can either, so I'm definitely not the target market for this kind of place.

Popped into the dinner buffet to take a look at while it was a bit "british boarding school dinner" it was relatively ok. On my last day I popped down to get some breakfast before I left, there was an omelette station and a woman making fresh quesadillas which were great.

I also had a reservation at the mexican restaurant at hacienda, which was fine, though I dont really think what I had was particularly mexican.

Had a friend stop past one day, so got them to give him my second wristband and we hung out for a while then went up to the room and went wild on room service ($6 surcharge). Amazingly the flank steak was really good, as was the guac (not surprisingly).

Checkout is 11am and they gave me until 12:30 but let me keep the wristband until I left, so at around 2 before my uber came I got a bite to eat and a drink.
flockavelliFT and DC9 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.