Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2000, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Arrow Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines {US-CA}

I will be here for two nights later this week.. can anyone tell me whether there is a tower or concierge floor? Any history of successful upgrades? I'm Honors Gold..
Old Jul 9, 2000, 10:33 pm

It's not a tower. If I was you I would stay at the hilton on Mission Bay, much better place. The Torrey Pines one would be better if you are on business.
Old Jul 10, 2000, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Well, I am on business, but am staying Fri aft and night to avoid redeye back to east coast... what makes Mission Bay better?
Old Jul 14, 2000, 12:40 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
Svpii: The Hilton Torrey Pines is a gorgeous property. Hilton purchased it from Sheraton a year or two ago. I've not stayed there (since we live here), but did attend a wedding reception there and was very impressed. Hilton guide says "394 rooms and 17 suites", but no Towers or Concierge floors. Hotel is located about 15 minutes north of the airport, Mission Valley, and downtown. Some people consider this location a disadvantage, but depending where in San Diego your business meetings are, this may or may not be true for you. It is a few minutes away from the hustle, bustle, and action of the city itself, as well as tourist attractions like the zoo, Sea World, etc. The hotel itself is first class, and if you could get upgraded to a suite, so much the better!
Old Jul 14, 2000, 2:02 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Yes it is a few miles north of downtown San Diego,but it is in the HEART of the beautiful Medittarean climate part of Southern Calif! The is so fantastic like in Paradise, that it would be worth staying there just to see what comfortable days with cool nites in the middle of summer is like. As well as, the large variety of flowers, trees, bushes, ground cover, and other exotic plants, that grow around there. Then to top it off, you can go to the Birch Aquarium right in Torry Pines. Of course, you will get to see some of the most expensive real estate in the country also. Please don't tell anyone, we have too many people moving here already.
In case of emergency, Scripps Hospital and Clinic are right there also. It has to be the best location for Medical services anywhere in the country. Ocean views!
Many Many excellent restaurants of all flavors in LaJolla village and good walking and shopping.
Unfortuantely, I live 10 miles east, but get to enjoy the cool breezes off the ocean in the evenings, anyway. The garden loves it also.

[This message has been edited by ROADRUNNER (edited 07-14-2000).]
Old Jul 14, 2000, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Am here now and it's great! Of course, as is my almost universal experience - no upgrade, but the room is delightful anyway..Thanks for the input!
Old Jul 14, 2000, 5:15 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
And the end of the story, availability is scarce. Rates high.
Old Jul 14, 2000, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
Spvii: Glad you're enjoying it. Please post details about your experience when you return home, either in this forum or in "Trip Reports". We'd love to hear about this property, especially if it's better than other Hiltons.
Old Jul 15, 2000, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

This week it was:

Hilton airport SNA - awful checked out..
Doubletree Costa Mesa - terrific!
Hilton DelMar = only OK
Hilton Torrey Pines - SUPER!! Terrific room (Not an upgrade, alas).. incredibly accomodating and gracious staff.. best hilton experience in a long time... gorgeous grounds.. (and a gorgeous golf course!), outside tables outside bar beside pool overlooking fairway and the water.. I could have stayed a week in that one place! Go if you can..
Next week it's back to Dallas - stayed at Doubletree Lincoln Ctr last time - very nice, but pricey.. anyone know about the Hilton across LBJ freeway?
Old Feb 15, 2001, 10:59 am
GYK

Programs: United Million-Miler, SPG Gold
How is the Hilton Torrey Pines, La Jolla

I'm staying at the Hilton torrey Pines in La Jolla, and wanted to know if anyone had any experiences there, suggestions, local sites, restaurants...
Old Feb 15, 2001, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I visited the grounds a few years ago when it was still a Sheraton. To me the arcitecture was corporate office park with above average landscaping. I did not see any rooms, but I left without any desire to return.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Stayed there just a few months ago - the grounds are great and the room was OK - I was only Gold then - which in my opinion is worth zip in terms of room quality as a rule - and I'm sure we got the standard king room. But we had a great time 'cause we played the golf course - and that more than made up for any room mediocrity
Old Mar 23, 2002, 6:21 pm

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines

A couple of questions about the La Jolla Torrey Pines:

- Assuming it has an Executive Lounge, what is the lounge like, and what are the general hours it is open?

- Has breakfast been included for HHonors Gold and Diamond members?

- What experience have you had with room upgrades as a Gold or Diamond member?

Thanks much!
Old Mar 23, 2002, 9:05 pm

It has no executive lounge. Breakfast vouchers were given for two of us. They have very few suites so don't expect much of an upgrade. The dinner restaurant was quite nice. It is a great, quiet location with fabulous walking in the Torry Pine Reserve for we non-golfers. There is a shuttle bus into the village of La Jolla, about 4 miles away.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 2:21 pm
In Memoriam

Agree with the above, was there last weekend (March 17) Standard rooms, standard hotel, not much to get excited about. Breakfast voucher is for a continental breakfast that they DO allow you to use towards credit for your choice of breakfast. IMHO, food was just okay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.