Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines {US-CA}

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines {US-CA}

Old Jul 7, 2003, 4:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Thanks, Charibm, and welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Jul 7, 2003, 5:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FrankoBonanzo:
You need to drive into La Jolla for shopping and restaurants. </font>
Or you can go the opposite direction and head to Del Mar (or keep on going to Solana Beach).

Parking, traffic, and beach access are all much easier in Del Mar, IMHO, with some great restaurants there and in Solana Beach. In Del Mar there are also boutique shops, art galleries, bookstore, and a gourmet grocer with a good wine selection.

But as originally mentioned, there is no commercial district within walking distance from the Torrey Pines.

And that $14 parking charge is highway robbery.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Great timing. I just recently booked a room for the weekend of the 18th.

I tried to get a room closer to downtown SD, but the only options were over $300 a night, and most were sold out! I am curious as to if SD is always that busy or something is going on there that weekend???

How far is it from the hotel to Seaport Village or downtown SD?

Do you have status with Hilton? If so, which? Did you contact them ahead of time about an upgrade, or just take what they gave you at check-in.

Thanks for the info about the internet access, I guess it is time to try out my new laptops wireless capabilities!

Thanks for all the details!

[This message has been edited by JenniferNAz (edited 07-09-2003).]
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:58 pm

I am a Hilton Gold member. I called 1 week in advance to inquire about the possibility of an upgrade and was told that it shouldn't be a problem. When I checked in they had already upgraded me to the "deluxe" room.

I did not go downtown, but it took about 20 minutes to go to the zoo and 15 minutes to get to SeaWorld.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 7:46 am

Hilton La Jolla

Staying at the Hilton La Jolla ( San Diego) six nights over Xmas. How is this location and things to do in the area?
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:13 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Are you referring to the Torey Pines?
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Charibm:
I just got back from a TEEN 6 night award stay at the Hilton Torrey Pines in La Jolla. Although I did not golf, my wife and 5 yr old daughter had a very nice time.

We drove down from the bay area and other than the L.A. traffic jams, the trip went quite well. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a "deluxe room". This means that instead of being on a lower floor, we were put on the 4th floor (top floor). Way out in the distance (~1mile) you could see the ocean, although to call this an ocean view is a bit of a stretch. A fairway view would better describe what you see from your room. For a few of the days there, the morning fog was very thick and not even the fairway could be seen! I imagine that the golfers were also grounded until the fog cleared. The waiter at the grill told me that fog in early summer is the norm, but later in July the morning's are much clearer.

Which brings us to the food at the resort. Breakfast coupons were received for the 3 of us for the 6 days. Although they say that they are good for a continental breakfast, what it really means is that you get $11 per person credit (cost of their continental breakfast) to order anything off the breakfast menu at the Torreyana Grill, which is the only eating game in town at the resort. For the 3 of us we received $33 which covered our full breakfast cost each day. Breakfast portions were quite large, and ranged from oatmeal,french toast,pancakes to omelletes. We ate dinner at the restaurant one evening, and neither my wife nor myself considered the food worth the cost.

We spent quite a bit of time at the pool, which ranges from 3-5 ft deep. Most of the days the pool area was quite vacant until the 4th of July afternoon. Our little girl had a great time and the 3 ft area worked out very well for her.

The rooms have high speed internet access for ~$12 / day (I didn't get pay for it so I can't remember the exact amount), but for those of you interested, the lobby area has a wireless high speed connection which you can get for free. It also works out around the pool area w/o too much degradation in performance. I have to believe that if you get a room facing the pool, you can have free high speed internet on your balcony of your room!

The resort is about 5 miles to La Jolla downtown area. Word of warning, don't try to get to town or drive down N Torrey Pines Rd around 4-5pm. Traffic can get very congested and make this a long journey. Beach was quite pleasant near La Jolla, calm waves and cold ocean.

Went to the Zoo one day, and SeaWorld another day. We received 20% off zoo admission w/ the AAA card, and $5 off / ticket at SeaWorld w/ an entertainment coupon. If you plan to go to SeaWorld a few days, there is agood deal which allows you to pay for one full admission and get unlimited access for the rest of the year, although there are some blackout dates with this deal. Of the two places, my 5 year old really enjoyed SeaWorld a lot more than the Zoo. I think the interaction w/ the dolphins, stingrays, and the closeup view of the sea lions and whales made the SeaWorld experience much more personal and "hands on".

Overall, our experience was a pleasant one and I would recommend this resort if you are looking for a relaxing time.

Thanks for the report..can u tell me if u were upgraded to a parlour suite (500 sq ft) and do all suites have balconies..
cheers

</font>
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:37 am

Looking For Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines Info

A couple questions that I could not seem to find via Google:

1) Any suggestions for rooms as a Gold VIP?
2) Does anyone have a good email address to contact the hotel regarding upgrades in advance?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by MBM3
A couple questions that I could not seem to find via Google:

1) Any suggestions for rooms as a Gold VIP?
2) Does anyone have a good email address to contact the hotel regarding upgrades in advance?

Thanks!
About all I can tell you is that we were upgraded to a golf course view room as Gold.

One other suggestion someone gave us that was correct. If you are self-parking, after going through the entrance gate to the garage, go straight ahead and turn left, going DOWN the ramp to the north end of the garage (the entrance is at the south end). The elevator to the lobby is right at the northwest corner of the garage from this level.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by JerryFF
About all I can tell you is that we were upgraded to a golf course view room as Gold.

One other suggestion someone gave us that was correct. If you are self-parking, after going through the entrance gate to the garage, go straight ahead and turn left, going DOWN the ramp to the north end of the garage (the entrance is at the south end). The elevator to the lobby is right at the northwest corner of the garage from this level.

Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:22 am

TRIP REPORT: Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines

I just got back from a great stay at the Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines. Couple thoughts and reviews:

1) The staff provided excellent service on all fronts.
2) The self parking was overpriced but convenient.
3) We were "upgraded" to a two queen room on the south side of the pool. Great view of the golf course and sunset, but I think "queen" was a bit of a stretch as the beds were doubles at best (I know, this is not uncommon).
4) The spa was an awesome experience for my wife and I, though it is not on the Hilton property. Rather, it is a very short walk across a driveway to the Lodge At Torrey Pines
5) We enjoyed great dinners in both La Jolla and Del Mar, both of which are a short drive away. There is a shuttle within 5 miles of the hotel, though we did not utilize it.
6) For you golfers, I believe there is a guaranteed tee time program with Torrey Pines.
7) It is about a $40 cab ride to the airport. We rented a car for around $80 and it was well worth it.
8) We good day of game tickets to see the Padres play at Petco Field. It is a beautiful new ballpark on the southern side of downtown.
9) The complimentary Gold/Plat breakfast was good, though I do suggest upsizing to the full buffet, which we felt was great food.
10) The pool area was smaller than expected, though well layed out.
11) I highly suggest saving a couple hours to hike around the nearby Torrey Pines State Nature Preserve. There are a variety of different trails that provide amazing views of flora, fauna, and the coast line.
12) Free wireless in the lobby area. In room HSI was about $10 per day PLUS $5 for a data cable. That annoyed me.
13) If you are looking for a beach experience, this is not your property. There are several in the area, but none within walking distance.
14) The work out facility was okay. I would have expected a bit more on a resort property, but it did the job.
15) I found our air conditioning to be lacking. It would not set below 68 and we needed to open our patio door to prevent the room from getting stale at night.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Great report. A couple of questions;

2. What do they charge for self-parking? I noticed the ES in La Jolla also tried to charge for self parking. They think they are a city or something. I've never paid for parking in a suburb location and never will.

13. Black's beach not close by?
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Great report. A couple of questions;

2. What do they charge for self-parking? I noticed the ES in La Jolla also tried to charge for self parking. They think they are a city or something. I've never paid for parking in a suburb location and never will.

13. Black's beach not close by?
2. $16, but oddly enough sometimes the lot was unattended.
13. Close but how accessible? A lot of folks expect to virtually walk out of their room and hit sand....
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
P.S. Offered @ Torrey Pines-Everywhere Else Full-What Am I Missing?

Planning to go to San Diego Spring Break. Other Hilton Branded properties are sold out but Torrey Pines Hilton in La Jolla has great point stretcher deals.

Are they under major remodel and need the business or something?

It seems like a good deal for a category 6 property but I am reluctant to stay there.

I don't golf and it would be ok to drive to the beach, but if the hotel is not satisfactory I'd reallly like to know.

Thanks for your opinions!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:19 pm

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chix
Planning to go to San Diego Spring Break. Other Hilton Branded properties are sold out but Torrey Pines Hilton in La Jolla has great point stretcher deals.

Are they under major remodel and need the business or something?

It seems like a good deal for a category 6 property but I am reluctant to stay there.

I don't golf and it would be ok to drive to the beach, but if the hotel is not satisfactory I'd reallly like to know.

Thanks for your opinions!
I love the hotel, but I'm a golfer who enjoys playing Torrey Pines. La Jolla is beautiful and the hotel is really scenic - great views of the golf course and ocean. I've gotten a great Diamond upgrade here in the past - huge suite with giant terrace overlooking the 18th hole.

If you plan to do things in and around San Diego, the hotel is a little out of the way. Traffic can be heavy back and forth to the city - can easily be 30 minutes. You would definitely need a car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.